Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

330 Wh/mile av. over 20K miles. Isn’t it high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys!
I’m a bit suspicious about energy consumption numbers on my 2019 Model 3 SR+. So, here are the readings:

Current ride
11 miles
4kWh
372Wh/mile

Winter
4188miles
1469kWh
350Wh/mile

Total
19842 miles
6572 kWh
331 Wh/mile

I’ve read other threads about energy consumption and looks like mines are quite high.
I thought my battery is dead, but Tessie shows 93% battery health (I will perform Tesla one this weekends).

What readings do you have and do you have any ideas why my readings might be higher than usual?

What readings do you have and do you have any ideas why my readings might be higher than usual?
Maybe it has something to do with your plethora of battery/inverter-related errors that you have posted about in other threads?
Given that you must've bought your car used off some unofficial importer, chances are that your Tesla may have also been in an accident before leaving US, which would make diagnosing issues like this virtually impossible. Have ever run your VIN through US-based accident reporting services?

My lifetime is also around 330 in my 2022 M3P.

But…

1) I race almost every month (1600+ wh/mI for a few hundred miles now)…
2) I run flush-fitting, open-spoked wheels (higher drag) with 275-width tires…
3) I precondition the cabin before leaving work most days…
4) I do a lot of 80mph highway driving, averaging 350-375 wh/mI.

My car gets blistering hot in the summer, but requires a lot of cabin heat in the winter due to the cold, dry air and the wind that sucks the heat straight out of your soul.

Do any of these factors apply?

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Maybe it has something to do with your plethora of battery/inverter-related errors that you have posted about in other threads?
Given that you must've bought your car used off some unofficial importer, chances are that your Tesla may have also been in an accident before leaving US, which would make diagnosing issues like this virtually impossible. Have ever run your VIN through US-based accident reporting services?
I have had my driving unit replaced. The car was definitely in an accident, but as far as I know, it was the old driving unit that had been damaged. So, I thought after the replacement the problem would go away. I will check out VIN reporting services, maybe it will shed a light)

W
My lifetime is also around 330 in my 2022 M3P.

But…

1) I race almost every month (1600+ wh/mI for a few hundred miles now)…
2) I run flush-fitting, open-spoked wheels (higher drag) with 275-width tires…
3) I precondition the cabin before leaving work most days…
4) I do a lot of 80mph highway driving, averaging 350-375 wh/mI.

My car gets blistering hot in the summer, but requires a lot of cabin heat in the winter due to the cold, dry air and the wind that sucks the heat straight out of your soul.

Do any of these factors apply?
Well, I don’t race, and don’t use let’s say performance wheels).
I do, however, precondition the car, but only during winter.
As for the speed, most of the time its 50mph (75% of the time) with occasional 70mph (20% of the time), for 5% of the time, I do go up to 95mph.

Usually 14°F/23°F not sure about heating seats (doesn’t have heated wheel), I’ll try not to use heated seats tomorrow
Heated seat use is much less expensive than cabin heat, especially on older cars that have resistance heating (instead of heat pump heating).

You may not notice a difference in economy by turning off the heated seats, but you will likely notice a difference if you use less or no cabin heat.

The seat heater uses much less energy vs the cabin heater even if it's on low. It would use much less energy to use the seat heater and no cabin heater but not sure if that would be too cold seeing that you're in Russia.
Well, I guess I’ll have to find that your experimental way)
I’ll turn off cabin heater and if it gets too cold, I’ll set it to low. It’s -14°C (6.8°F) here today, but according to iPhone it feels like -22°C (-7.6°F)

Well, I guess I’ll have to find that your experimental way)
I’ll turn off cabin heater and if it gets too cold, I’ll set it to low. It’s -14°C (6.8°F) here today, but according to iPhone it feels like -22°C (-7.6°F)

Yeah teen's and 20's temperatures are what is getting you I think. I would definitely do a no heat drive to give you a better understanding of how the heat really affects things. The lowest I think(based on my experience) that you can set the heat to is 65F. Yes I know you can set the temp down to 60 before it goes to low and blasts the AC, but I don't think the heater turns on below a setting of 65F.(this is from memory right now, can't test right now since it is going to be 80F today! and back to 50F tomorrow).

Here’s a data point for ya. In Indiana we have four seasons so there is a mix of hold, cold, and mild. Car is garage kept at home and kept plugged in…so it preconditions on AC power when needed. Windows are tinted (35 on sides, 80 on windshield) which helps some I’m sure but I never saw data to indicate how much it helps.
I still “punch it” from time to time but nowhere near as much as my first few months.
707C7E75-A2BD-45AA-83FF-D31AD95E90A0.jpeg

• Helpful
Here’s a data point for ya. In Indiana we have four seasons so there is a mix of hold, cold, and mild. Car is garage kept at home and kept plugged in…so it preconditions on AC power when needed. Windows are tinted (35 on sides, 80 on windshield) which helps some I’m sure but I never saw data to indicate how much it helps.
I still “punch it” from time to time but nowhere near as much as my first few months.
View attachment 910437
Ow, that’s helpful, thanks!
Btw, do you have RWD or LR/Performance model?

Hi guys!
I’m a bit suspicious about energy consumption numbers on my 2019 Model 3 SR+. So, here are the readings:

Current ride
11 miles
4kWh
372Wh/mile

Winter
4188miles
1469kWh
350Wh/mile

Total
19842 miles
6572 kWh
331 Wh/mile

I’ve read other threads about energy consumption and looks like mines are quite high.
I thought my battery is dead, but Tessie shows 93% battery health (I will perform Tesla one this weekends).

Here is another possible issue...if you generally have shorter commutes in cold weather, that is even worse. For example...lets just toss some numbers in here...if that current trip of 11 miles was all at 60mph, and you had the heat on and lets say it averaged 5kW for the 11 mile commute. The PTC heater max draw is about 7kW, so that is about 83Wh/mile just in heater usage. If I use max draw for 4 minutes and then step it down to a 1kW holding draw, it end up being about 65Wh/mile for the heater.

At 23F I doubt the holding draw for the heat(even at HVAC set point of 68F) would be 1kW, more like 1.5-2kW which would put you to 71Wh/mile. I also don't think that it would start stepping down within 4 minutes with a cold soaked car at 23F.

I think it is a heater usage issue...with the limited information. Seat heaters are negligible, max 50-100watts(1.6 Wh per minute)

• Informative