Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$35,000 Model 3 SR is back! *

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally agree on the price. $39k for a SR+ isn't really in the same range as a Accord or Camry. If they want to move millions they really need to get that SR down to like $30k (probably with a cloth interior) and the SR+ pushed down to like $34-$36k. They're still very much Merc, BMW, Lexus range and are out selling those cars, so they're nailing that target, but down market is really the mass sales numbers...

(And you can talk all you want about cost savings without gas and such but people may not want to take a $40k loan out when they could take a $28k loan or something for the Accord)

It's $32K w/ tax credit (+ local credits) for the SR

It's $32K w/ tax credit (+ local credits) for the SR

You're math doesn't add up.... $35,000 + $1,200 = $36,200. $1875 federal credit brings it to $34,325 which is "cheap" in the entry level BMW/Merc/Lexus range but certainly doesn't get down to the $26 to $28k for a mid spec Accord. Yes they are two different types of cars for different people, but if you have a budget under $30k, that Accord is going to feel like a very solid car that does NOT feel entry level/economy AND you'll be a few grand below your budget. That's the range that sells millions of cars a year.

Elon agrees with you, but is constrained by reality.

Henry Ford kept pushing down the price of his cars, so that more people could afford them. As he could, he invested more and more $ into more and more efficient production. At one time his cars represented 55% on the vehicles in the world. Elon has a (slim) chance to equal this accomplishment.

Tesla knows that the more competitive their vehicles are and the lower their pricing, the more cars they will sell..

Elon agrees with you, but is constrained by reality.

Henry Ford kept pushing down the price of his cars, so that more people could afford them. As he could, he invested more and more $ into more and more efficient production. At one time his cars represented 55% on the vehicles in the world. Elon has a (slim) chance to equal this accomplishment.

Tesla knows that the more competitive their vehicles are and the lower their pricing, the more cars they will sell..

I hope... because I feel like I recall a tweet from Elon saying there were NO plans for a cheaper car then the $35k Model 3. Now I wasn't sure how to take that.... that Elon meant there will not be a lower end model below the Model 3, or that there was not any desire by Tesla to drop the price of that $35k Model 3 over time and instead add features and maybe bundle FSD at some point, etc.

Now with him talking about the cars being worth $200k or more because of robo taxi car sharing and stuff and him not really wanting or having a need to sell the cars for less than that, because then they would just keep them and add them to their robo fleet...

Tesla could make a less expensive vehicle today by installing smaller battery packs, reducing the size of wheels, tires and brakes. Switch to less expensive cloth interiors, put in a smaller electric motor, charge more for supercharging, charge a monthly data fee, take away the tinted glass, install a tinny radio, delete autopilot sensors, reduce the size of the display, delete cruise control, use less expensive lighting, eliminate power steering/brakes. Cut back of the safety of the body in white, eliminate the glass roofs, etc.

It would be interesting to see the source for the article's claim that the price has been dropped back down to $35,000 ($36,200 including delivery fee). The article timeline states this happened last month (July 2019) - this is not the case.

Can anyone with a SR and/or SR+ MVPA dated August 13 or later confirm that it shows that the SR price is $35,000, not $35,400? (The SR+ MVPA shows the SR price plus the '+' upcharge).

I hope... because I feel like I recall a tweet from Elon saying there were NO plans for a cheaper car then the $35k Model 3. Now I wasn't sure how to take that.... that Elon meant there will not be a lower end model below the Model 3, or that there was not any desire by Tesla to drop the price of that $35k Model 3 over time and instead add features and maybe bundle FSD at some point, etc.

Now with him talking about the cars being worth $200k or more because of robo taxi car sharing and stuff and him not really wanting or having a need to sell the cars for less than that, because then they would just keep them and add them to their robo fleet...

People make a mistake by judging Elon on what he says. That has proven to be a foolish endeavor. The best way to judge Elon is by what he has accomplished. That gives a much more accurate measure of his abilities.

Due to inflation, premium interior, all glass roof, software battery, the 35K Model 3 is cheaper than 35K.

People really don’t understand that.

Announcing a 25K-30K Model 3L would goose sales of 38K cars. Even 35K is off menu.

If Tesla is being a rational actor, they will charge as much as the market will bear at their target production quantities.

Last edited:
Tesla could make a less expensive vehicle today by installing smaller battery packs, reducing the size of wheels, tires and brakes. Switch to less expensive cloth interiors, put in a smaller electric motor, charge more for supercharging, charge a monthly data fee, take away the tinted glass, install a tinny radio, delete autopilot sensors, reduce the size of the display, delete cruise control, use less expensive lighting, eliminate power steering/brakes. Cut back of the safety of the body in white, eliminate the glass roofs, etc.
Isn’t this a Yugo?

You're math doesn't add up.... $35,000 + $1,200 = $36,200. $1875 federal credit brings it to $34,325 which is "cheap" in the entry level BMW/Merc/Lexus range but certainly doesn't get down to the $26 to $28k for a mid spec Accord. Yes they are two different types of cars for different people, but if you have a budget under $30k, that Accord is going to feel like a very solid car that does NOT feel entry level/economy AND you'll be a few grand below your budget. That's the range that sells millions of cars a year.

You're right that's the price I got it for 6/30 delivery, ~33K (waited as long as I could to see if they'd drop the price in q3)