Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 surround-view of the car (DRIVE PX 2 stitches camera images)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never regretted moving from my leaf except the heater. It was awesome and efficient...
Haven’t had to use the heater yet but going from the leaf to the tesla was like going from an economy ice to the leaf. The tesla is amazing.
My traffic heavy commute is sooooo much nicer and safer now with the TACC.
I do miss the around view but it’s not a deal breaker, just a disappointment.

Reactions: croman
I think I'd need to test drive one extensively to see how it is to park without cameras.

For parallel or perpendicular parking the Tesla can do it for you (assuming it sees a single open space with cars in front and behind it (or to sides for perpendicular). It'll park pretty much perfectly for you (albeit slowly).
Backing up is fine with the great rear (wide-angle) camera, but it stinks not seeing where curbs end. The parking sensors are good for telling you if you're going to hit the car in the next spot or the column in the parking garage. So far it's mostly just not seeing how early I can start turning when backing away with a curb to one side.

My driveway needs me to turn in hard, with other cars parked on the road outside. So first avoid other cars, then the walls by the entrance, then get the turning angle right and slot in between the house and wall.

Oh, and you need to go back as far as possible, limited by a lamp post, leaving enough room on one side to get to the charger. And of course the charge port on the Tesla is in just the wrong place.

No way auto park will cope with it.

Okay, it's an extreme example, but once you get used to the cameras you really don't want to go back, especially in a big car.

I still think the rotatable/zoomable 3D 360 view on the new Audi A8 is so cool... and these 360 cameras will also be able to auto-park using lines only, no adjacent cars...

audi_a8_360-jpg.252250

I had this and never used it... found the distortion too weird. The new systems are much better but I've never had a complaint about Tesla's execution of parking assist features.

Just because you've never had a complaint doesn't mean Tesla's system is good. I particularly despise not having a front camera. Lack of a display in the rear of the cabin for the rear park sensors is also amateur hour.

Reactions: Pentium2004
Sure about that AR? Every pic I've seen it's parked like ^that^ and you posted something from the manual that only mentioned ultrasonics

Oh come on, you are better than making an issue out of how it is parked. Obviously the picture (from the brochure) is just showing an impressive scenery so that's why it is parked that way... The picture from the garage is probably just protecting the demo unit from bangs - it is a big car...

As I said when posting from the brochure, the current Audi A8 brochure does not include the Pilots. What I refere to is the Audi Parking Pilot, not parking assist. I am not fully clear on what the launch order is for that feature, some press says it comes from the first model year on, but I am not sure if the brochure has it - if it has I didn't see it (haven't checked fully).

It is the Audi AI Parking Pilot that does the parking by lines (see my post #30 for a caveat/correction, I don't know to what extent). In any case I do believe the hardware is in the cars already (the zFAS is there, after all), but I do not know if it is enabled for the very first model year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
I did not find any Pilots in the first year Audi A8 brochure. Also, a correction - I found this good and up-to-date-seeming page of all the assits and pilots Audi offers:
Here is a good English, up-to-date summary of all different Assists and Pilots in Audis:

Driver assistance systems

Here is specifically of the Audi A8, very informative of the Traffic Jam Pilot and Audi Parking and Garage Pilots:

Audi AI and driver assistance systems

It does seem Audi Parking Pilot still uses ultrasonics to find the parking spots, if this is accurate. A video does shows it using its 360 degree cameras as part of the sensors, but if this is accurate, it seems this first generation pilot does still require adjacent cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Has anyone at Tesla hinted at providing 360 surround-view (aka bird's eye) view of the car for things like parking backing out of garage, etc? The HW2 Nvidia board would appear to have features to help even. One use for all the cameras around the car unless I'm missing something (like they are not at the right angle of view)

Aside: With one hurt eye in an accident while driving my old Tesla, I sure would appreciate more help seeing all around the vehicle for safety reasons, ease of seeing in tight parking in public, or garages.

Above via this article for one place: NVIDIA's Deep Learning Car Computer Selected by Volvo on Journey Toward a Crash-Free Future
My wife does all the driving as I am in a wheelchair. Our Volvo XC90 has the 360 view and blind spot monitor. We went for a test drive last weekend and my wife felt very uncomfortable without these two features. We were ready to place an order but without these two important features we didn't.

Why doesn't Tesla pick up on these two points and let us know what they will do and when.

It seems incredible that they don't have enough engineering capacity to get this feature out, at least in beta.

They may not want to do it, because it doesn't look very competitive as it stands. Maybe they are waiting to ugprade the hardware suite with a nose cam or something like that.

As things stand, it is a black-white-red 360 image for anything but the rear, that can not see anything in the nose and front corner bumper level due to camera placement limitations.

A partial, B&W 360 view may not be very desireable PR-wise when the competition is doing this:

audi_a8_360_cameras.jpg

Old thread, but having recently moved from a Leaf to a model 3, the thing I miss most is the around view monitor, which I used every single time I parked the Leaf. So nice to be perfectly lined up in a spot, and know my tires were perfectly straight. The M3 is superior in every other way, except for this missing feature.