Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$39k Used Model 3's on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am actually currently in the market for a 3 or y, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger because I think prices are going to drop further. However, no one can predict the future. I guess it would not be the end of the world if I buy now and lost up to 10k due to price decreases. I honestly dont know what to do to be completely honest

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
You aren't going to find an new IS sitting at a dealership for 40K. Definitely not saying that 39K is a deal on a standard range with 50 on the clock though. Chances are that this is an off lease car. I assume most used inventory for Tesla are off lease cars as most of their client base is going to be trading in older ICE cars. Model S owners are the only ones who have reached an "average length of ownership" on a car in America of somewhere between 6-8 years, depending on where you get the numbers.

Pretty sure its fairly easy to find an IS sitting at a dealership at or below msrp now. The market isnt the same as it was earlier this year. Luxury cars arent as hard to find as they used to be and interest rates are high enough now to curb demand for them. probably looking at 5+% on a new 2023 model with excellent credit.

I am actually currently in the market for a 3 or y, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger because I think prices are going to drop further. However, no one can predict the future. I guess it would not be the end of the world if I buy now and lost up to 10k due to price decreases. I honestly dont know what to do to be completely honest

following back to my previous comment, the only thing that I would look out for is that interest rates may keep rising and offset any potential discounts. If you can buy the car cash, then youd be better off. I think youre right though with the IRA bill, tesla car prices for model 3/y will plummet but like you said, hard to predict what will happen especially with global supply chain issues.

one dealer sharing inside baseball is saying were a few months away from there being a glut of used cars on the market. EV or ICE it think smart money sits out the car market until February. The next EV impact will be tax credits again starting 2023.

Reactions: vickh
one dealer sharing inside baseball is saying were a few months away from there being a glut of used cars on the market. EV or ICE it think smart money sits out the car market until February. The next EV impact will be tax credits again starting 2023.

I hope you're right .As a cash buyer this is our time with less competition and more negotiation power. We need a new 3 row car and debating whether to get an X or PHEV or gasp S with jump seats

Pretty sure its fairly easy to find an IS sitting at a dealership at or below msrp now. The market isnt the same as it was earlier this year. Luxury cars arent as hard to find as they used to be and interest rates are high enough now to curb demand for them. probably looking at 5+% on a new 2023 model with excellent credit.
FWIW, my local CU has 5.19% on new cars up to 60 months, 5.59% for 72 and 5.99% for 84. Other CUs/banks might still be a bit lower.

Tesla's site is still showing 4.74% for now.

Model 3s may continue to be supply constrained, not sure for how long though= price floor, so I'd say $39K given OP
For anyone keeping their eyes on the used market and looking to purchase in cash privately, here is a current snapshot of SR,LR,P still curious what people think might be realistic expectations pricing may drop to given the economy's trajectory, and maybe even pre pandemic pricing tippoff.

Personally have a budget I would like to stick to and hoping to form a realistic projection to know if a Performance is possible, ( this would be a "extra" second personal vehicle with existing ICE as backup incase it doesnt fully fulfill all my needs as I adapt and adjust) and would like to form a opinion of what I may be able to get into given the opportunity and correct vehicle to pop up.

Looking at AWD specifically, and while a new full range SR will technically just reach our normal weekly frequent destinations and back according to ABRP, it is planned for heavy use in very cold winter mountainous terrain and weather, so thinking a LR with AWD is likely required for degradation over time, and enough HVAC overhead and excess non direct point A-B use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.07.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.07.26 PM.png
    540.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.08.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.08.28 PM.png
    560.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.09.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.09.29 PM.png
    595.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Ha! You clearly have not seen all the fanbois that claim FSD gets 100% of its purchase price back on the secondary market.

$3-5K sounds very accurate.
Maybe the used market in general doesn't care as much about FSD, but Tesla may value FSD closer to 100%. For example, here are three Tesla trade-in offers from the same week 3 months ago:

YearModelMilesFSDLocationLow OfferHigh Offer
2019M3P45kYesCalifornia, USA$50k$56k
2019M3P30kNo?$43k$48k
2022M3P4kNoCalifornia, USA$51k$57k

By no means conclusive, but at least in this case FSD on the 2019 was around $6k - $8k at purchase and looks to have increased the value by at least that much if not more.

Would be interesting to see more data on Tesla trade-in offers to get a better sense of how well FSD holds value. Is there already a spreadsheet for this?

One big difference is that they have added FSD to all these cars. I wonder if you could get them to take it off and reduce the price by $15K?
That’d be nice but Tesla likes to say FSD is worth 15k when it suits them , I doubt they’d sign the same song when removing it. Don’t get me wrong , they’ve made a lot of progress but for a fun toy , 5k is about right , not 15.