Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd A/C failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything in the car is controlled by firmware. They know about the issues and are working to resolve them. It won't be immediate, but the fixes will come.

On the 3 they had a long ramp-up, and were able to fix most issues by the time deliveries started in earnest in fall of 2018. Even so my Aug 2018 delivery vehicle couldn't do bluetooth calls without severe echo. The evening of delivery I received a software update that fixed it.

The ramp-up on the Y is much quicker, but it will still take about a year to iron out all the bugs. Enjoy your car, and remember that it gets better every month.

Well, that was short lived. Left the car in the sun for 30 short Arizona minutes (I normally park in a garage or under shade) and guess what doesn’t work now... MY AC! Temp won’t go below 101 in the car. This is better than before because in the past not only would it not blow cold air, it actually blew hot air. Now it just circulates my 101 degree air.
And in the past when the ac failed, a warning would come up. Now it acts like it’s working and has no warning, but it doesn’t actually cool.

Also my frunk latch is malfunctioning.

maybe I should call and talk to Tesla customer service for help? OH WAIT! You can’t call them!

Call your local service center, you can always get a hold of them during business hours.

Well, that was short lived. Left the car in the sun for 30 short Arizona minutes (I normally park in a garage or under shade) and guess what doesn’t work now... MY AC! Temp won’t go below 101 in the car. This is better than before because in the past not only would it not blow cold air, it actually blew hot air. Now it just circulates my 101 degree air.
And in the past when the ac failed, a warning would come up. Now it acts like it’s working and has no warning, but it doesn’t actually cool.

Also my frunk latch is malfunctioning.

maybe I should call and talk to Tesla customer service for help? OH WAIT! You can’t call them!

Sorry to hear about your climate control issues; my climate control was broken and software update fixed it.

BTW, is your front latch defective like mine (see attached image)? If so, contact them. My car was in the shop for 2 times for this problem. They placed the harness for the cable. Then they finally replaced the latch.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.08.02 PM.png
    300.4 KB · Views: 171
I have service scheduled for the latch already, and it must be a known issue because I already got a text saying they ordered parts and they haven’t even seen the car yet.

Sorry to hear about your climate control issues; my climate control was broken and software update fixed it.

BTW, is your front latch defective like mine (see attached image)? If so, contact them. My car was in the shop for 2 times for this problem. They placed the harness for the cable. Then they finally replaced the latch.
I

I have service scheduled for the latch already, and it must be a known issue because I already got a text saying they ordered parts and they haven’t even seen the car yet.

I
You are not alone with the A/C issues. See my prior thread asking for A/C help. Another Y owner in Georgia has a similar problem and a service visit tomorrow. My service isn’t until July 8 and currently have a new A/C compressor ordered. I’m hopeful we will soon find a solution.

Not AC related but wanted to see if this is normal.

When the fan level is running at level 1 without AC turned on, is it suppose to make a high pitch squealing sound?

Can someone please try this with your Model Y and see if you hear anything?

Thanks.

I have service scheduled for the latch already, and it must be a known issue because I already got a text saying they ordered parts and they haven’t even seen the car yet.I

I picked up my Y at Raintree on the 26th. I've been terrified that the cars AC wouldn't work well due to the glass roof. It that crap had happened to me, I would pick a busy delivery day, then pull up with the crowd of people picking up their cars, and tell them very loudly that I am tired of my AC not working... I think they would pull you in a bay lickity-split!

Checking in on this thread, too. 107º here in Las Vegas today. Updated from 2020.20.12 to 2020.24.6.5 last night, and now not getting cooled air when running the AC. It seems the fan is the only thing working. Couldn't get interior temp below 88º. No bueno!

I feel your pain. Click on my posts, I’ve been dealing with the same thing with no solution yet now x 2 trips to the service center. The $3k price drop would feel better at least with some cold air in my face.

They didn't fix your a/c? Did they replace the same temp sensor they replaced on mine? That is aggravating!
Unfortunately no, I gave them the part # you shared a few times and they said it wasn’t the problem. I picked the Y up yesterday and they were convinced it was a Freon issue. No problem at pick up since then it’s only worked half the time. Is everything still good with yours ? Was your problem no A/C ever or just intermittent A/C?

Unfortunately no, I gave them the part # you shared a few times and they said it wasn’t the problem. I picked the Y up yesterday and they were convinced it was a Freon issue. No problem at pick up since then it’s only worked half the time. Is everything still good with yours ? Was your problem no A/C ever or just intermittent A/C?
My problem was no a/c at all. The day it stopped working it stopped/started/stopped again and then was out for several days.

Hope you get yours fixed. I'm pretty bummed today with the $3k price drop. Feels like I paid $3k for 2000 miles and a bad a/c. Not gonna consider fsd anymore with the price raise there too (at least for now).

Checking in on this thread, too. 107º here in Las Vegas today. Updated from 2020.20.12 to 2020.24.6.5 last night, and now not getting cooled air when running the AC. It seems the fan is the only thing working. Couldn't get interior temp below 88º. No bueno!
Not to be pedantic, but if the A/C is not working at all (only the fan), you wouldn't be able to get the inside temperature below the outside temperature. Obviously something is wrong still.

Wild guess is that there's not enough freon (or whatever they use) in the system, if it isn't a software issue.

Reactions: Berkshire1
Yep this is the exact same issue I’m having. I’m in Houston. Today I had no air issue but Thursday it would not get below 88. I need to do more testing but I believe for me it has something to do with using the app to set climate before getting in the car. I also disabled the climate management “keep temp in car below 105”.

here’s the response from Tesla today. They canceled my upcoming service appointment and said this. Of course, the first two times I went for service they said the firmware update would fix it and it didn’t. Fingers crossed!

“We understand. Up until firmware version 2020.20, all Model Ys have been experiencing intermittent problems with the AC compressor turning off prematurely. This was especially evident in much warmer climates (such as Arizona right now) however, the engineering team verified 2020.20 addressed this concern. We do not see a need for the appointment as your AC is now functioning as designed. Before cancelling, we just wanted to verify with you. Do you give us permission to move forward with the cancellation?”

For my 3 They did at least check my rear AC blowing hot issue in service. Actuator passed. Did get the firmware response and turn it off rear n the interim though :(

Everything in the car is controlled by firmware. They know about the issues and are working to resolve them. It won't be immediate, but the fixes will come.

On the 3 they had a long ramp-up, and were able to fix most issues by the time deliveries started in earnest in fall of 2018. Even so my Aug 2018 delivery vehicle couldn't do bluetooth calls without severe echo. The evening of delivery I received a software update that fixed it.

The ramp-up on the Y is much quicker, but it will still take about a year to iron out all the bugs. Enjoy your car, and remember that it gets better every month.

3 AC system that different from Y?