Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 of 5 FSD Beta disengagement strikes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d rather not have FSD beta suspended while I’m on my road trip! I’m seeing in my 10.69.25.1 release notes (installed this morning) that disengagement happens after “driver receives several audio and visual warnings for inattentiveness.” Should I have been getting audio cues all this time? I don’t get any audio signal until the final red disengagement screen. A little tone would be so helpful if I am paying attention to traffic around me instead of the screen.

Solution
I've had my hand on the wheel resting at the bottom when I got a warning that a "nag defeat device was detected". I've noticed the nags get really bad when traveling through construction zones on the freeway or when there are a lot of cones placed e.g. freeway segments where lanes were re-striped and coned. You get 3 warnings and it's a strike on the third warning. I've been erroneously nagged in stop-and-go traffic through construction zones so I just park the car and re-engage drive. That resets the 3 warnings back to 0 and you can go a bit further and "reset" again if you get to 2 warnings again. I'd pull over to the shoulder to reset if needed....here in California, that drive through Central California is a major pain without...
I’d rather not have FSD beta suspended while I’m on my road trip! I’m seeing in my 10.69.25.1 release notes (installed this morning) that disengagement happens after “driver receives several audio and visual warnings for inattentiveness.” Should I have been getting audio cues all this time? I don’t get any audio signal until the final red disengagement screen. A little tone would be so helpful if I am paying attention to traffic around me instead of the screen.
Hands on wheel, eyes on road, peripheral vision keeping an eye on blue flashing (and you must clear it). Like this:

B4A014BD-417B-4189-9C91-9C229931E2CF.jpeg

Vehicle?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hands on wheel, eyes on road, peripheral vision keeping an eye on blue flashing (and you must clear it).

Vehicle?
I'm starting to wonder about some people's peripheral vision. Staring straight ahead I can clearly see the screen out of the corner of my eye and if the wheel torque request pops up in the lower left corner, my eye picks it up. Definitely the flashing blue banner at the top left. Not sure why some people can't pick up those cues with their current eyesight. Makes me concerned they won't pick up a pedestrian in their peripheral vision who's darting out from in front of a van.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to wonder about some people's peripheral vision. Staring straight ahead I can clearly see the screen out of the corner of my eye and if the wheel torque request pops up in the lower left corner, my eye picks it up. Definitely the flashing blue banner at the top left. Not sure why some people can't pick up those cues with their current eyesight. Makes me concerned they won't pick up a pedestrian in their peripheral vision who's darting out from in front of a van.
There are retinal defects due to medical conditions or prior idiopathic injury that can limit peripheral vision for some people. Usually these would be identified in a retinal scan though and driver would be well aware. And also usually the second eye covers most of it and the brain fills in the gaps (but in the case of the screen it could not due to the nose).

In most cases I would guess user error, not a perception issue.

Upvote 0
There are retinal defects due to medical conditions or prior idiopathic injury that can limit peripheral vision for some people. Usually these would be identified in a retinal scan though and driver would be well aware. And also usually the second eye covers most of it and the brain fills in the gaps (but in the case of the screen it could not due to the nose).

I would want people with those conditions to be tested again at their local DMV to ensure they should still receive a driver's license. Lack of peripheral vision makes them a danger on the road.

Upvote 0

Then keep your damn hand on the wheel

Upvote 0
Hands on wheel, eyes on road, peripheral vision keeping an eye on blue flashing (and you must clear it). Like this:

View attachment 894002

Vehicle?
2021 Model Y. Over 20K miles. Got beta in July 2022, and gotten 3 strikes since then. I’ll tell you the circumstances of my most recent and 4th strike, yesterday, before I found a wi-fi signal over which to update:

Multi lane highway, I am coming up on a slow vehicle, my vehicle slows down and doesn’t yet signal to change lanes, so I turn to look over my left shoulder for traffic. (Beta has, at times, been both overly eager to change lanes, and at others, negligent to offer to change lanes.) Fast moving vehicles coming, so I am watching between them, and the vehicle and road in front of me to time the moment I may safely pass. Both my hands were on the steering wheel, hoping the car would manage the maneuver. Instead, while looking back, I heard the disengagement alarm. There was also, as I recall, a hands-on defeat device message onscreen, which I had been getting, though they seem to have been cleared up in todays update.

All this to say, I do not believe I was being inattentive in this instance. I very often do pick up the initial signal in my peripheral vision.

No one has, however, responded to my question regarding Tesla’s release note referring to “several audio and visual warnings” before disengagement. Can these audio warnings be activated? I am not receiving them.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
No one has, however, responded to my question regarding Tesla’s release note referring to “several audio and visual warnings” before disengagement.

Based only on what people have claimed here, it does not seem that there is always a lot of warning, or any warning.

I suspect there may be hints in advance (defeat device warnings, cabin camera issues - neither of these should ever be seen) sometimes, but who knows. Could just be buggy software, possibly only affecting some hardware configurations.

I’ve never had any problems at all with any release except excessive nagging at one early point release which only went to 10% of people or something.

Upvote 0
Based only on what people have claimed here, it does not seem that there is always a lot of warning, or any warning.

I suspect there may be hints in advance (defeat device warnings, cabin camera issues - neither of these should ever be seen) sometimes, but who knows. Could just be buggy software, possibly only affecting some hardware configurations.

I’ve never had any problems at all with any release except excessive nagging at one early point release which only went to 10% of people or something.
Thanks, AS4L. Yes. I received probably 10 or so defeat device warnings over the course of a day of highway driving. Hadn’t seen the message before and glad to see it resolved so quickly. Haven’t seen it at all today.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Doesn’t apply. The false strikes have been been immediate strikes without a flashing screen or any audio warning
Sure. I would be surprised if there were not some other hint of a bug though!

If something is identified that is not true, that is an error on the part of the software, indicating it has gone off the rails, and nothing good will come of it, and described behavior will probably not match.

Upvote 0
I've had my hand on the wheel resting at the bottom when I got a warning that a "nag defeat device was detected". I've noticed the nags get really bad when traveling through construction zones on the freeway or when there are a lot of cones placed e.g. freeway segments where lanes were re-striped and coned. You get 3 warnings and it's a strike on the third warning. I've been erroneously nagged in stop-and-go traffic through construction zones so I just park the car and re-engage drive. That resets the 3 warnings back to 0 and you can go a bit further and "reset" again if you get to 2 warnings again. I'd pull over to the shoulder to reset if needed....here in California, that drive through Central California is a major pain without AP/NOA with all that construction and temporary lane crossovers and shifts.

Upvote 0
Solution
I've had my hand on the wheel resting at the bottom when I got a warning that a "nag defeat device was detected". I've noticed the nags get really bad when traveling through construction zones on the freeway or when there are a lot of cones placed e.g. freeway segments where lanes were re-striped and coned. You get 3 warnings and it's a strike on the third warning. I've been erroneously nagged in stop-and-go traffic through construction zones so I just park the car and re-engage drive. That resets the 3 warnings back to 0 and you can go a bit further and "reset" again if you get to 2 warnings again. I'd pull over to the shoulder to reset if needed....here in California, that drive through Central California is a major pain without AP/NOA with all that construction and temporary lane crossovers and shifts.
A handy tip!

Upvote 0