Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 amp charger upgradeable after delivery for $1,900

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the 72A upgrade this week in Dallas, TX. My VIN is 44xxx and it was a hardware and software upgrade. I do want to know if any of you are seeing around 31/mi hr on a 72A 200V commercial circuit. That seems very low to me and I was hoping to see more like 36-38/mi hr on 200V and 72A.

Installed the 72A upgrade this week in Dallas, TX. My VIN is 44xxx and it was a hardware and software upgrade. I do want to know if any of you are seeing around 31/mi hr on a 72A 200V commercial circuit. That seems very low to me and I was hoping to see more like 36-38/mi hr on 200V and 72A.
My guess is that the circuit isn't putting out 208V, probably more like 180V.

This is what I get on a 48 HPWC. I'm in Dallas as well.

Is your HPWC turned up up to 90 amps? Maybe that could be it.

Your more than welcome to come try plugging it in at my place.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.PNG
    IMG_0220.PNG
    622.4 KB · Views: 62
Out of sheer curiousity, is everyone getting the full usage out of the 72A upgrade? With the 40A plugged into my house, its basically pretty close to maxing out the circuit...

i get 29mi/hr on a 208v 48A charge so theres something deff wrong here.

That's because your input voltage is 208V, and different buildings have different voltages.. For example my home is 240V and my office gets 208V, charge rate is different.

Most USA homes are 240V (single phase, or the two 120 circuits opposing each other to get 240); most commercial power is 208 (three phase). 48 or 72 Amps of each of these will lead to different kW, which is what really counts and what shows on the charging display.

Out of sheer curiousity, is everyone getting the full usage out of the 72A upgrade? With the 40A plugged into my house, its basically pretty close to maxing out the circuit...

That's because your input voltage is 208V, and different buildings have different voltages.. For example my home is 240V and my office gets 208V, charge rate is different.

Think you were missing the point of my post.

208V vs 240V is not going to be that different in charge rate. If the OP is only getting 31mi/hr on a 200V 72A circuit, and i'm getting 29mi/hr on a 208V 48A circuit, something is wrong. That's 14.4kw vs 9.9kw, so the OP should be getting a much higher charge rate. Instead, he's only getting 2mi/hr for a whole 4.5kw difference? Something deff is wrong.

You should see around 3 MPH/kW. The ”official” numbers for my car are 29 MPH @ 40A/240V and 59 MPH @ 80A/240V.

72A@208V is 15kW (before any voltage drop under load). You should see around a charge rate of around 45 MPH @ 15kW. 31 MPH is about what you'd see charging at around 10kW, or 48A@208V.

So the question is, what changed recently? It sounds like you upgraded the car's charger from 48A to 72A. Are you sure the HPWC/EVSE is setup to deliver at least 72A? Have you charged at the location in question before? How were you charging there (UMC on a 14-50, the same HPWC, etc).

I suspect what's going on is you charged there pre-upgrade at the car's old maximum of 48A. The car then "learned" that as the location's max charge rate. If you upgrade the car's charger or the location's EVSE, the car still won't go beyond the prior max charge rate at that location, even if you didn't explicitly limit the charge rate manually. You will have to manually increase the charge rate to 72A for the car to learn a new GPS location maximum. If you post a picture of the center screen while charging, we can confirm what is happening.

IMHO, this is a bug. The car should not set a location maximum unless you explicitly dial back the charge rate there. Instead, it seems to set a location max every time you charge. I charged on a J1772 set up to deliver 20A. The EVSE was plugged into a 14-30. Later I tried to charge with my UMC and 14-30 adapter. The car defaulted to the prior charge rate of 20A even though the UMC was clearly offering 24A to the car. I could manually dial it up to 24A for that session.