Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48A charger upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder what it would cost to have a home Chademo?
apparently $7,500, wow that does seem like a lot to get the 80A charging back and shows just how much energy a 50kw home fast charger would take on a 240V residential service , one would have to have a 400A main to get the 50kw at home as it would draw a max of 200A ! now that would be a pretty awesome pc. of equipment to have at your home and I can see some people with deep pockets and an existing 400A service at their home might want this convenience

apparently $7,500, wow that does seem like a lot to get the 80A charging back and shows just how much energy a 50kw home fast charger would take on a 240V residential service , one would have to have a 400A main to get the 50kw at home as it would draw a max of 200A !
I have 400A service into my house, but I am still sharing a 50KVA transformer with several other houses so could I actually pull more than 200 amps? (200 amps x 240 volts = 48kw) Get a few Tesla's together and we could find out! My garage is set up to handle two High Power cars and two "low" power cars. 72 + 48, and/or 80 + 40 on each of my two garage sub panels.

Comed has a spot on their website to register your electric cars. Each time I add more they email me back with stats on the transformer and tell me it is fine, but I only have two cars presently for a total of 27kw of charging. If my wife gets that Model X with 72A support I have always wanted her to have it might cause them some concern.

I would imagine during the winter I could probably get at least 40kw out of the transformer, during the summer on a hot day I might only get 30kw. But my goal is to practically never charge during the day, especially on a hot day.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales
48 amps on a new car is not that bad compared to 80 on the old, 48 amps is 20% more than 40 and the new cars are what 10% more efficient.
Yes it is a downgrade but not "half".

I believe my P85 is 58miles an hour at 80amps, would think a Raven at 48amp would be tickling 40miles having more range to start with should help. If I am off on that estimate please correct me.

I get it I put in a HCWC at 80amps available and have a 7 mile drive to work, the extra amperage is very nice to have when getting back from a road trip or the like, but 48amps on a newer car that is much more efficient and starts with a LOT more than my current 247miles(degraded) range I could easily manage.

Far as a 200mile a day commute, that is rough and likely using more than 1:1 miles at highway speeds destination and superchargers are no way to supplement a daily drive like that, too much time away from he already.
That said I think with the added range, added efficiency per unit of energy added and such I think it will work out ok, maybe returning from a road trip now and again you have to hit the near supercharger to give the pack a boost so the home charging tops it off by Monday morning but I think this will be rare.

This sucks. I just paid to have 100A circuits installed at both my home and work locations. I charge at 72A daily. Yesterday I traded in my 18 SP100D for a 2020. Much to my surprise, 48A max and a tremendous waste of money putting in 100A circuits where 60A would have cost a lot less! Why even sell the HPWC with 100A capabilities if the car constrains it to 48A. A bit of misleading data here..

This sucks. I just paid to have 100A circuits installed at both my home and work locations. I charge at 72A daily. Yesterday I traded in my 18 SP100D for a 2020. Much to my surprise, 48A max and a tremendous waste of money putting in 100A circuits where 60A would have cost a lot less! Why even sell the HPWC with 100A capabilities if the car constrains it to 48A. A bit of misleading data here..
A little research would have given you this information. And no, you didn’t trade in for “2020” because it’s not 2020 yet. Tesla doesn’t do model years.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and Rocky_H
CURRENT vehicles are limited to 48A charging - which is sufficient to recharge the current battery packs overnight.

Tesla is likely to offer some vehicles with even larger battery packs in the future, and those vehicles would likely need more than 48A for overnight charging.

I installed a 100A circuit when we purchased our S P85 with "dual chargers" in early 2013. And we charged the vehicle at 80A regularly. And once Tesla started installing superchargers, we never needed to use the full 80A for any home charging.

I had the 72-amp charger installed on my 2016 MS for one specific reason: the round trip drive between Jacskon WY and Bend OR which we make 2-3 times a year. At 48 amps I had to charge ~4 hours at the 80-amp EVSE in Burns OR, but at 72 amps I could cut my stop in Burns down to ~2 hours. An expensive solution, I admit, but worth it to me.

Now, if I trade up to the latest MS with 370 mile rated range, I should be able to make the drive without stopping in Burns. I won’t need the high-amp charge capability. :)

Reactions: Rocky_H
Maybe I over-reacted but I read it as being pretty obnoxious - not answering or contributing to the question at all, rather just a judgemental remark. If it wasn't intended that way I apologize.

Same commute. I had a first gen Model S. Put 175,000 miles on it and it was still running well. Just figured it would need to be upgraded soon and when I saw the free ludicrous upgrade, I pulled the trigger. I was totally bummed though never expecting the charge rate would be almost half of what I was getting for the past 4 years.

That's pretty much the response when this topic is brought up, or frankly any other from a legitimate owner gripe or search for information or possibilities.

I've just been adding these people to my ignore list. Much quieter. It's like getting rid of your loud neighbor who's always blasting their stereo outside.

I was going to try and upgrade my charger aftermarket, but my Model S has been in and out service since I picked it up in June. Maybe someday... 48A charging sucks.

tremendous waste of money putting in 100A circuits where 60A would have cost a lot less!

The cost of materials is trivial when compared to the cost of having a visit from an electrician. An electrician doesn’t really care if he’s pulling 3AWG or 6AWG (other than being slightly bulkier & stiffer) so unless the 100-amp setup required a larger meter or larger breaker box or some other extraordinary work, I doubt you wasted any money. In fact, I would say you future-proofed your installations.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and SSedan
because the HPWC's also have the capability of daisy chaining which is why 100A is necessary

Not sure I understand? No what?

One poster wanted to know why the HPWC could take 100A if the ravens could only take 48A? And called it “misleading”.

And I responded that the HPWC is capable of daisy chaining which is why it needs to be able to accept 100A? So not sure what “no” means?

Also, prior year cars were capable of either 80A or 72A, mine included, so imo, nothing “misleading” about HPWC.

He's correct in that the High Performance Wall Connector does not need to be able to accept 100A to daisy chain.
The daisy chain happens when you have 2 or more HPWC on the same electrical circuit. They talk to each other and the vehicles so they do not draw more than the maximum allowed by the circuit design.
Maybe I wasn't being clear. Neverenuf asked why Tesla was selling a product that accepts 100A circuit implying that it was misleading on Tesla's part since the current cars can't accept anymore than 48A. My point was that the HPWC can utilize a 100A circuit in a) cars that have on board chargers of 72A or 80A (prior years) or b) daisy chaining. I wasn't stating that you needed a 100A circuit in order to daisy chain. I was simply stating that there's a purpose for a 100A HPWC

As I understand it, the the "master" HPWC will control the "slave" and directs the current to the cars regardless of whether it has 80A or 48A available. (or whatever 80% of the circuit happens to be)

Maybe I wasn't being clear. Neverenuf asked why Tesla was selling a product that accepts 100A circuit implying that it was misleading on Tesla's part since the current cars can't accept anymore than 48A. My point was that the HPWC can utilize a 100A circuit in a) cars that have on board chargers of 72A or 80A (prior years) or b) daisy chaining. I wasn't stating that you needed a 100A circuit in order to daisy chain. I was simply stating that there's a purpose for a 100A HPWC

As I understand it, the the "master" HPWC will control the "slave" and directs the current to the cars regardless of whether it has 80A or 48A available. (or whatever 80% of the circuit happens to be)
Exactly.

There's nothing "misleading" about it. Spend just three minutes looking at the user guide for the HPWC, and it spells it all out there.

Connect it to a 100a circuit, and two HPWC's can operate at full power. Anything less, and they start having to do the coordination thing.

But if you have no intention of using more than one HPWC, you don't need to hook it up to a 100a circuit. Again, all of this is spelled out in great detail in the manual. It tells you exactly what you can do with various size circuits.

Connect it to a 100a circuit, and two HPWC's can operate at full power. Anything less, and they start having to do the coordination thing.

What do you mean by “full power”? The car determines what full power is, not the wall connector. Some cars can take 72 or 80 amps by themselves.

If you mean full power as in 48 amps to two cars, no, a 100 amp circuit will not allow them both to operate at “full power”. A 100 amp circuit can deliver max 80 amps continuously.