Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 battery install Lake of the Pines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Well, the battery install and solar mods are starting today. 5 batteries, 2 gateways, 2 generation panels, 2 solar edge
11.4K inverters, ....

It does seem it will take them the 4 days, shall see. Now that are working on installing batteries on mounts outside my garage wall.

Attachments

• battery1.jpg
    battery1.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 320
  • battery2.jpg
    battery2.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 297
Dude... how the heck have you kept a 3rd Gen Nissan Maxima running for so long? Those VG motors are dogs and the transmissions are made out of paper mache.

BTW, really excited for your install! Post more pics :) Especially when they get to the blade disconnects.

Dude... how the heck have you kept a 3rd Gen Nissan Maxima running for so long? Those VG motors are dogs and the transmissions are made out of paper mache.

BTW, really excited for your install! Post more pics :) Especially when they get to the blade disconnects.
The maxima was bought new by my grandfather, 1990. Then my Dad had it. Now I have it 120K original miles

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve

Yep, the 5 blade disconnects will be right in the middle. Again, made sure being installed for 2 more could be added if wanted to. With the SGIP requirement, looks like it might have to be after 5 years. :(

One nice thing by using the powerwalls, I am able to put my 200 amp breaker in, compared to the 125 I was forced to put in when I just had the solar generation panel.

You didn't have PG&E browbeating you that your 5x Powerwalls could each export 20A to the grid (100A total) plus your solar exporting at the same time too? They fought so hard to try and get me to de-rate my home loads for this...

Last edited:
You didn't have PG&E browbeating you that your 5x Powerwalls could each export 20A to the grid (100A total) plus your solar exporting at the same time too? They fought so hard to try and get me to de-rate my home loads for this...
Until I am done with everything, I have no idea what the future is. They hope to be done Thursday. Then told they will schedule final inspection. But if there are any other PGE stuff, NEM, etc, I have no idea.

Until I am done with everything, I have no idea what the future is. They hope to be done Thursday. Then told they will schedule final inspection. But if there are any other PGE stuff, NEM, etc, I have no idea.

I'm still super annoyed that Sunrun indicated it's standard/normal for PG&E to be involved in all PV+ESS designs. I thought PG&E simply had to grant permission to do the main panel work, but that PG&E would not have input to the actual design of the generation system.

I hope you just have a good implementation team that finds a way to get everything set up on each 200A panel without the derating. I hope PG&E stays the hell out of your business.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm still super annoyed that Sunrun indicated it's standard/normal for PG&E to be involved in all PV+ESS designs. I thought PG&E simply had to grant permission to do the main panel work, but that PG&E would not have input to the actual design of the generation system.
P&GE gets to review the design before they grant PTO. Part of applying for the interconnect includes submitting a 1 line diagram of the installation. So it's normal for them to review, although it certainly sounds like they have been giving you a hard time.

Chees, Wayne

P&GE gets to review the design before they grant PTO. Part of applying for the interconnect includes submitting a 1 line diagram of the installation. So it's normal for them to review, although it certainly sounds like they have been giving you a hard time.

Chees, Wayne

Huh, so what happens if PG&E sees something in their line diagram that they want changed? By then the system is probably already permitted with the county, built, and inspected.

Does it go all the way back to needing a new city/county permit and inspection after their demands are met?

I hope you just have a good implementation team that finds a way to get everything set up on each 200A panel without the derating. I hope PG&E stays the hell out of your business.
Passed county permit review process with no derating

Huh, so what happens if PG&E sees something in their line diagram that they want changed? By then the system is probably already permitted with the county, built, and inspected.

Does it go all the way back to needing a new city/county permit and inspection after their demands are met?
To avoid that scenario, typically the interconnection application is submitted, and conditional approval from PG&E obtained, before the work commences. If PG&E legitimately finds something noncompliant with their published requirements on the one line diagram, they can require changes, even if that means having to revise the approved building permit.

Cheers, Wayne