Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$50,000+ car while economy in freefall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a libertarian. I bought an EV because I don’t want to pump gas any longer, and I like technology. Best of both worlds!

Back on topic: if you want to buy a car now, or not right now, that’s up to you, and you only.

inb4lock.
I still want my MY, but I totally understand anyone deciding to put this purchase off, especially given the circumstances. But whether buying a Tesla now is a good idea depends very much on your own economic situation, which is literally your business, not mine.

That's why I personally don't think there's a lot of point in discussing this aspect of the decision, although I'm fine with other people feeling that there's some benefit for them in talking this through. I'm less fine with this being turned into a purely political discussion with only tangential relevance to cars.

I come here to chat about the Tesla I may one day have. If you're here to push your political views, you've come to the wrong place.

Reactions: Y_Wait
Yes the world is ending economically. It will be a depression, not a recession. All caused by China. There must be retaliation, but I digress. I figure it this way. I just financed my Y and when the economy completely crashes I will stop making payments and get a almost free car! The banks cannot repo millions of cars so they will just write it off if they even stay in business. The new currency will be cigarettes, booze and ammo. Now that I think about this I may go buy a $500,000 Class A RV. Finance the max and again..just stop making payments after the collapse! I like it!

I’m sure you’re kidding around, but sadly, there are plenty of people that seriously have this mindset. It’s sad. People did that with houses in 2007/2008. I call those professional deadbeats.

I’m sure you’re kidding around, but sadly, there are plenty of people that seriously have this mindset. It’s sad. People did that with houses in 2007/2008. I call those professional deadbeats.
Yes I am having some fun but you are right. Some people really think that way and they may be right! At this point the next 6 months is unclear and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know my crystal ball is busted now.

I have an order for Y but have decided to at least hold off now to see what happens. I am not that far away from retirement and have certainly taken a hit but my investments have been adjusted recently to be more conservative so I will be ok.
Maybe with sales down Tesla and revenue taking a hit Tesla will finally communicate to everyone who placed an Model Y RWD order what they actually plan to do with these orders since nobody knows except probably Elon.

Reactions: Electric Steve
... we printed a lot of money... all it really takes is for china to call us on our debts,
How does China call in debt that is held as US Treasury bonds, notes or bills? That's not how bonds work -- a bond that can be called in (US Treasuries can not) are callable by the debt issuer, not the debt holder.

Would you take out a loan from a bank that the bank can call back at any time? Makes no sense.

How does China call in debt that is held as US Treasury bonds, notes or bills? That's not how bonds work -- a bond that can be called in (US Treasuries can not) are callable by the debt issuer, not the debt holder.

Would you take out a loan from a bank that the bank can call back at any time? Makes no sense.

countries don’t operate like a consumer bank, but, actually, refusing to take on new debt would have the same effect.

China buys a lot of US debt which is constantly rolling over. If they stop rebuying it we have a problem fast.

on the car side, I’m close to retirement and have 2 businesses... one currently shut down by state order. I’m so close to getting mine I can taste it... but will have to hold off and it’s killing me. If I’m lucky things will be better in a few months and I can be driving one in the fall. Still considering making a stupid decision and taking it... but I don’t see it happening unless they offer something like free lifetime supercharging... then I would be 60/40 in regards to taking it.

The funny part- "Tesla communicate". I needed a good laugh.
Yes, I know entirely wishful thinking. Lack of Tgood esla communications is part of their charm:) I still wonder sometimes why they intentionally decide not to communicate but hey they have been successful and I've made a lot of money investing in Tesla so why should I complain.

Reactions: Electric Steve