Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50.12 — Anyone Get Error Message After Installing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
”Car Needs Service”

Reboot does not clear.

Tesla Service Central saw message but could not see any faults.

Car drove just fine.

BTW, scheduled charging and reduced backup camera contrast are welcome improvements. HD radio still a work in progress ...

I got this too. We made an appointment with the SC for late next week, but I’d rather not take the trouble if it’s an installation bug. Everything is functional. Hmmm.

I received something similar, but almost two days after the update. Car parked in garage over night. In morning there were two error messages alternating on the touchscreen. “Pull over safely Restart car to drive” and Power reduced Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation.”

The car was powered on and normal in every way except it would either stay in park or when I could get it into reverse or drive it would not move. Reboots didn’t resolve. Roadside service came to flatbed me to my service center and just as it arrived I tried the car again and the errors disappeared and car was perfectly driveable. Service center thinks it is a firmware issue but is keeping a little longer to run additional diagnostics.

A little disconcerting to be temporarily stranded with only 100 miles on it, but glad to be in my garage. I signed up for and expected some early bugs to need working out, so not losing any sleep over it. Will report back if anything other than a firmware glitch.

FYI, I had "Power reduced: Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation." pop up this weekend on 2018.32.2, so it's not a version-specific error.

I happened to get it on the highway a mile from a supercharger so I pulled off, got out and back in, and the warning went away. Decided to plug in and call support to make sure everything is OK.

They told me the high voltage system showed a fault, and that opening and closing a door causes it to re-initialize some things and reset itself.

The support person I talked to recommended that when you see an issue like this, IMMEDIATELY file a bug report (I did voice control "bug report power reduced error"). When a bug report is filed, a bunch of extra telemetry and logs get sent along with it so the development team can try deeper to figure out what happened and hopefully work around it in future firmware updates.

Reactions: APotatoGod
FYI, I had "Power reduced: Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation." pop up this weekend on 2018.32.2, so it's not a version-specific error.
I had this happen to me on August 27th. I was still on the freeway at the time in stop and go traffic. The power loss is dramatic. Feels like driving a stick moving slow in 5th gear while you're in stop and go traffic. I called Tesla and they told me to get out of the car and move away until the doors locked (mirror and car horn). Wait about a minute and get back in. Car fired right up without the messages and continued like nothing was wrong. I believe I was on the same firmware too. I was told it was some type of sensor and he believed it shouldn't happen again.

• Informative
Reactions: RangerRick
I just received this same error out of the blue
“power reduced- exit and re-enter car- may restore operation
Car was then sluggish and no regen. I parked at a friend’s house nearby and when I returned 15 minutes later the message was gone and car was fine. I filed a belated bug report and will call service Monday. It’s a Model 3 RWD LR with 5000 miles. First vehicle error I’ve received. Updated to V9 just yesterday.

I just received this same error out of the blue
“power reduced- exit and re-enter car- may restore operation
Car was then sluggish and no regen. I parked at a friend’s house nearby and when I returned 15 minutes later the message was gone and car was fine. I filed a belated bug report and will call service Monday. It’s a Model 3 RWD LR with 5000 miles. First vehicle error I’ve received. Updated to V9 just yesterday.

Honestly, I would call 877-798-3752 ASAP and have them pull the logs remotely for that error. Tesla Service number is manned 24/7.

I did call before posting but when I selected service it said they were closed a Sunday. I didn’t ask for roadside assistance since I’m home now. But I did file a bug report from the car (albeit about 30 min after the fact) and I believe that sends some logs.

Reactions: Kermee
I did call before posting but when I selected service it said they were closed a Sunday. I didn’t ask for roadside assistance since I’m home now. But I did file a bug report from the car (albeit about 30 min after the fact) and I believe that sends some logs.

Excellent. — Usually, filing a bug report won't get you a callback but you did say you're going to call them on Monday. Glad to hear though you didn't get stranded.

Do you have an RWD or AWD? If AWD, that error has been occurring to folks when one of two drive system flags an error and is "turned off/disabled" with the symptoms you described (i.e. sluggish and no regen). I don't want to scare you prematurely, but on Monday if they ask you to take it to a SC, it might be due to a failing drive system and might need to be replaced. However, I can be completely wrong and it might have been a temporary hiccup. Hoping for the latter. Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks. It’s RWD. Sure hope it isn’t a failing drive system. Haven’t had any other issues with drive system thus far. I read elsewhere it’s a high voltage system error and can result from a bad wiring harness. I’m still hoping it’s a fluke but will report back here on what I learn and if it recurs.