Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listen - if you want to count ever single vehicle fine. There are tons of other reasons they don't sell every single car.

Inventory
Loaners
Crashtests
Test Drives
Production throw aways
Imperfect cars.
R&D vehicles they don't want to sell to the public.
etc.

When we say "sell every car" those are included as non sold as we do for other vendors. We ARE comparing apples to apples here.

Tesla sold over 1.4 million cars last year - their guideline requires them to have about a 10% inventory. Thats 140k vehicles. The more they sell...the larger the inventory has to be.
When the chip shortage happened for 9 months...why didn't Tesla have to stop selling vehicles at the rate of others? Inventory and stocking up on chips/contracts.

Come on now.

None of this answers where the 90-100k "in transit" vehicles are at the end of each quarter.

Ah now we're moving the goalposts, as expected.
There are tons of goalposts. They aren't moving. There are just goalposts everywhere.

Tesla is delivering vehicles to 14 countries so far with factories in 3 of them. Shipping is definitely a hurdle and will only get worse as they deliver to more and more countries.

I have provided pictures and links and videos about this. Here is yet another place where those vehicles are. Where are the TONS of posts about the following numbers? I hear crickets.

Do we also want to mention Tesla factory downtime for upgrades across the planet?

Do we also want to mention the delivery strikes against tesla in other countries? Those cars are just sitting there.

There are tons of goalposts. They aren't moving. There are just goalposts everywhere.

Last edited:

Tesla is delivering vehicles to 14 countries so far with factories in 3 of them. Shipping is definitely a hurdle and will only get worse as they deliver to more and more countries.

I have provided pictures and links and videos about this. Here is yet another place where those vehicles are. Where are the TONS of posts about the following numbers? I hear crickets.

Do we also want to mention Tesla factory downtime for upgrades across the planet?

Do we also want to mention the delivery strikes against tesla in other countries? Those cars are just sitting there.

Oddly some believe at the mass volume of cars Tesla builds that a car rolls off the line and it’s loaded on a truck to drive to Maine for delivery. lol. That would be an efficient and profitable business plan! Same for exports, just one per boat and repeat. lol. Odd how inventory can be confusing? Virtually every car that rolls off the line has an assigned customer order attached to it. Last time I visited a Tesla dealer they didn’t have 50 stock cars for sale. They had 2 displays and 3 test cars. Every one of the 50 on the lot was staging for pickup. Unlike the Chevy dealer next door with 50 of each in every color. Different business model.

Oddly some believe at the mass volume of cars Tesla builds that a car rolls off the line and it’s loaded on a truck to drive to Maine for delivery. lol. That would be an efficient and profitable business plan! Same for exports, just one per boat and repeat. lol. Odd how inventory can be confusing? Virtually every car that rolls off the line has an assigned customer order attached to it. Last time I visited a Tesla dealer they didn’t have 50 stock cars for sale. They had 2 displays and 3 test cars. Every one of the 50 on the lot was staging for pickup. Unlike the Chevy dealer next door with 50 of each in every color. Different business model.
I thought autopilot would just have it drive to my house from the factory. ;)

Those are impressive, but have no bearing on what was being discussed.

I suggest you read Tesla's 10-Qs for a better understanding.

Nope. They are more than impressive. They are true and indeed on topic of deliveries (topic of your last 10 posts on this thread).

You seem to be struggling here.

From Q2 2023 to Q2 2023 (five quarters) Tesla produced 91k+ more vehicles than they delivered.

Per their financials, "We write-down inventory for any excess or obsolete inventories or when we believe that the net realizable value of inventories is less than the carrying value. For the nine months ended September 30, 2023, we recorded write-downs of $148 million."

Tesla is reporting they wrote down excess inventory. Ergo, they did not sell every vehicle they made.

Pretty easy to look up and not post misinformation.

620 mile roadster is a joke. That's putting in two battery packs into a small coupe chassis. It just doesn't add up. The roadster miles is true vaporware. Did he just make that up on the fly? It's Elon, of course he did.
To be fair, the Roadster prototype did/does exist and it has 2 S/X 100kWh batteries stacked one on top of the other. They needed that many cells in order to be able to get the performance they wanted with reasonable per-cell discharge rates.
It's a massive job to build and install the Superchargers that will be needed in coming years, and there are going to be some serious problems along the way. A lot of the difficulty is also related to finding places to install the Superchargers, meeting all government requirements to install them, and getting an adequate amount of power from the local electrical utility. A lot of this just takes time. Tesla has been doing a pretty good job, on the whole, of keeping up with Tesla charging demand, but that demand is going to increase dramatically in the next couple of years. Even if Tesla is ready for it, I think the odds of the power grid being ready are slim.
Thank you for bringing this up. This part has always bothered me. The electric grid is designed for fairly stable power consumption. It cannot handle huge swings in demand as you cannot ramp supply up and down quickly. In fact power companies try to discourage peaky power consumption through the use of demand charges. There is a limit to what the grid can deliver in short bursts and 350kW is an insane amount of power. Going up to 800V will help but we are pushing the limits.
…if you believe teslas epa numbers. I think it’s fair to say Tesla applies a liberal adjustment to their epa results. Once you account for 15-20% overestimating, it looks like it will be on par with the R1T. It’s a little lighter but has a worse CoD so I expect it will very close overall efficiency wise.
Tesla consistently has the largest delta between EPA and real world numbers. I can't get anywhere close to their numbers in my MXP. CT will be the same.
It's possible that the Cybertruck can get 400 or more miles of range traveling the same speeds as the Chevy in Urban areas. Going from Urban to Rural areas we don't know what the combined mileage would be on the Chevy loaded down with equipment while towing something heavy.
NFW. Literally impossible. Not to mention it just came out that the range estimates are with all season tires while the trucks will ship with all terrain tires so range will be further reduced.

To be fair, the Roadster prototype did/does exist and it has 2 S/X 100kWh batteries stacked one on top of the other. They needed that many cells in order to be able to get the performance they wanted with reasonable per-cell discharge rates.
Do we know that for sure? Not like we got to inspect the mechanicals or see it actually pull off any of its claimed feats. For all we know what they showed was just a reskinned model 3 sr. Not unusual for design prototypes to have very different powertrain than planned for production.

You seem to be struggling here.

From Q2 2023 to Q2 2023 (five quarters) Tesla produced 91k+ more vehicles than they delivered.

Per their financials, "We write-down inventory for any excess or obsolete inventories or when we believe that the net realizable value of inventories is less than the carrying value. For the nine months ended September 30, 2023, we recorded write-downs of $148 million."

Tesla is reporting they wrote down excess inventory. Ergo, they did not sell every vehicle they made.

Pretty easy to look up and not post misinformation.

Nope not struggling at all. Let me point out a few struggles here.

First of all, Q2 2023 to Q2 2023 is not five quarters. It's no quarters.

Secondly its not 148 million ... it was 148 million + 43 million. Total = 191 million

Third - if you look at the reason for a write down in any company it can be for a ton of reasons. It clearly states that all companies and/or dealerships write down inventory when the value of the product becomes below the selling price. Its written down - no unsold. There were a ton of times where the value of the USD dropped so low during transit/shipping that when the vehicle arrived - it wasn't worth what it was before shipment. They wrote down the value of the product on the books as they were supposed to - In other words they took the value off the books. They didn't throw the product in the garbage.
If you tell the public that you have a product worth x and then in a few weeks/months or so it's worth less ( and you are a public traded company) you have to justify selling it for less (write-down cost). Tesla and just about all companies ( minus Gas car OEM's) eat that cost themselves. As a matter of fact - Gas Vehicle OEM dealerships do it privately ALL OF THE TIME, but they don't call it write-downs. When they buy a vehicle from a company like Ford, and they can't sell that vehicle 10 months later...they hide the write-down costs and disguise it as losses during tax time. They can do that because dealerships aren't publicly traded entities.

There are tons of reasons for a write-down to occur, but it doesn't mean that a vehicle isn't sold. It means that it's sold for a lesser value that previously stated. I served at AT&T on finance for a very short time and thought that write-downs were nonsense, however as a publicly traded company...we MUST report this kind of thing. Even if the value of the USD drops before the delivery is made - Tesla has to publish that cost difference as a write-down. Such a reason (outside of Tesla's control) is below (from the glorious 10-q report). lol.

"there was a lower average selling price on our vehicles driven by overall price reductions year over year, sales mix, and a negative impact from the United States dollar strengthening against other foreign currencies in the three months ended September 30, 2023 compared to the prior period."

Your personal insults before/after your comments are really not becoming.

Last edited:
Looks like the Cyberbeast get 301 miles of range with AT. 320 with AS

IMG_0421.jpeg

AWD is hard to make out but 340 with AS, 318 with AT?

IMG_0422.jpeg