Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us don’t need crazy range. I charge at home and only drive a small radius. But having been in a plaid 1.5 years now I do miss sitting up higher and not having to worry about road debris. Tesla can sell me a true full size box truck tri motor plaid. Cyberbeast in its current rendition isn’t worth a penny over 50k to me. Rwd should be 30k and dual motor 40k. Beast 50k.
suuuuuurrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What’s a battery in a S/X cost? 22k$ for sub 100kWh. A plaid RDU is 12k$. Alright, now that we’re at 34k, whatcha wanna add to these two pieces to get you up to your price point?

😂👌

Reactions: outdoors and Evee
Honestly, if you are concerned about wh/mile efficiency - stay away from any/all larger EV pickups - as the efficiency is never going to be anywhere close to the MY that you own today. The CT weighs 6700+ lbs - so much heavier than a MY - and is much less aerodynamic (0.335 CoD), you'll never see the efficiency that you want, even if you switch to smaller wheels/tires. There's only so much that can be done to offset higher weight and higher CoD.

True 'dat.
Here is a good article documenting MY advertised vs. MY highway vs. MY towing ranges.
No big surprised to those of us who have collected personal observations about highway range penalty (~25% for me, 30% per article). MY's advertised range of 330 miles is not dissimilar to CT's 320-340 advertised miles. However, CT's inferior aerodynamics will likely exact higher highway range penalty over MY's.
For those who haven't gathered towing penalty data (56% per article), the article below provides some useful insights:

True 'dat.
Here is a good article documenting MY advertised vs. MY highway vs. MY towing ranges.
No big surprised to those of us who have collected personal observations about highway range penalty (~25% for me, 30% per article). MY's advertised range of 330 miles is not dissimilar to CT's 320-340 advertised miles. However, CT's inferior aerodynamics will likely exact higher highway range penalty over MY's.
For those who haven't gathered towing penalty data (56% per article), the article below provides some useful insights:

We've already seen that the highway range could even be lower than a MY above 70 mph.

Kyle from out of Spec is going to do a 70 mph range test in Austin from 100-0 this week, but the end user reports are pretty decent in town, bad on the highway...which is the same for all EV trucks and even the MX/MY.

suuuuuurrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What’s a battery in a S/X cost? 22k$ for sub 100kWh. A plaid RDU is 12k$. Alright, now that we’re at 34k, whatcha wanna add to these two pieces to get you up to your price point?

😂👌
Tesla’s cost isn’t a concern of mine. They need to figure out how to get it down so that their truck is competitive in the market.

The CT is essentially a Stainless Steel Ridgeline/Ford Maverick.

This man needs an F-150 Lightning if he wants a luxury suspension that can still haul and so truck things. There's a reason it's the #1 selling Vehicle in America.
Add the Rivian to that list too.
1704309965811.png

I like the interior of the Rivian over the Maverick. But I like the look of the Maverick over the Rivian. The Maverick is so much cheaper if you don't care about towing or light Off roading.

I'm curious what the facelift interior will look like. The one now is kinda funky but works just fine for me. I would really enjoy a PHEV (or all electric) version of the Maverick. the Rivian is a similar size, but not similar cost :) I just haul bikes and tools and stuff so the truck bed is more for hauling stuff I don't want inside a vehicle more than anything.

I really wish Tesla would have just made a normalish looking truck. I'm clearly not the target audience of the Cybertruck as the looks are not my thing, but I think they could have had a really nice option if they would have made it less like a pinewood derby car. Oh well, such is life. A mass market (cost effective) small electric truck would be awesome.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
well... the first real world range test is in and it's ~250ish miles... over the ~318 miles "Tesla estimated" with the All Terrain Tires. Video is on youtube by out of spec. charging curve looks meh per the video. test done at 46 degrees so your YMMV is if it's freezing cold in the winter.
That would put it on-par with the F-150 Lightning Lariet with the extended range battery 70 mph range test. On par with the competition, but not special or groundbreaking. Overall, the Lightning still looks to be the better vehicle.

That would put it on-par with the F-150 Lightning Lariet with the extended range battery 70 mph range test. On par with the competition, but not special or groundbreaking. Overall, the Lightning still looks to be the better vehicle.
exactly. just matching the range/payload/tow specs of a 2+ yr old first gen (not even a pure EV platform) Ford EV truck attempt is a bit thin for the market leader imho. never mind that the Lightning offers more storage space and can be bought *today* in the nicely equipped Lariat trim for low $70s...

Overall, the Lightning still looks to be the better vehicle.
CCS, trailing arm, tons o recalls, non integrated parts bin special (software updates more difficult than tesla, since it’s not in-house teams with internal communication channels) , no media while charging the big ole pack. (towing. LOTS of charging stops)

I’m having a hard time finding it being better.
And this is coming from a 220k mile 6.2 Raptor owner that /wanted/ an EV truck two years ago for towing EV track toys.
exactly. just matching the range/payload/tow specs of a 2+ yr old first gen (not even a pure EV platform) Ford EV truck attempt is a bit thin for the market leader imho. never mind that the Lightning offers more storage space and can be bought *today* in the nicely equipped Lariat trim for low $70s...
It’s almost like range is influenced by aero and weather. A used R1T vehicle is in that range, too. Wouldn’t wish that ownership experience upon anyone.

Let’s not confuse what it was like the first year of the lightning being introduced. Massive markups, tons of recalls, N ordered NO SALE on vehicles so they could be ‘demo units’. Now two years later they couldn’t sell and started doing everything to ditch them.

Having looked at the passenger side collision data from the newer F150s, I’m good. The rear suspension of the lightning is /interesting/ for a “traditional” truck as everyone likes to claim. Reminds me of the early days with compliance cars being built for attention (CAFE numbers) and tax breaks.

Reactions: Maxim_9 and SO16
CCS, trailing arm, tons o recalls, non integrated parts bin special (software updates more difficult than tesla, since it’s not in-house teams with internal communication channels) , no media while charging the big ole pack. (towing. LOTS of charging stops)

I’m having a hard time finding it being better.
And this is coming from a 220k mile 6.2 Raptor owner that /wanted/ an EV truck two years ago for towing EV track toys.

It’s almost like range is influenced by aero and weather. A used R1T vehicle is in that range, too. Wouldn’t wish that ownership experience upon anyone.

Let’s not confuse what it was like the first year of the lightning being introduced. Massive markups, tons of recalls, N ordered NO SALE on vehicles so they could be ‘demo units’. Now two years later they couldn’t sell and started doing everything to ditch them.

Having looked at the passenger side collision data from the newer F150s, I’m good. The rear suspension of the lightning is /interesting/ for a “traditional” truck as everyone likes to claim. Reminds me of the early days with compliance cars being built for attention (CAFE numbers) and tax breaks.
thank god the $100k "foundation series" can't be seen as a massive markup if you want a Cybertruck *now* .... only $20k above the list price (...)

thank god the $100k "foundation series" can't be seen as a massive markup if you want a Cybertruck *now* .... only $20k above the list price (...)
20k for extras/different edition(trim level) != markup.
Welcome to early special tesla model ownership. First Gen roadster owners have entered the chat.

40k+ markups on the lightning were absurd for /less/ of a vehicle than the competition.