Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not major but considering the numbers are “off” anyways it’s not a big deal. It’s not like a Tesla estimated car will get that actual mileage in the real world.
It’s a big deal when we’re trying to compare EPA results in different vehicles. They all use the same procedure and produce similar results (after accounting for the scaling factor nonsense).

There is no magic to the EPA tests and no one cheats (there are penalties for that as we know!). It is what it is. You just have to get rid of Tesla’s scaling otherwise it’s impossible to compare core efficiency.

Anyway we clearly have to wait for the official numbers and a bunch of other missing info.

Reactions: jebinc
Tesla has never been untruthful. They just use the legal scale factor to inflate their range numbers relative to most other manufacturers.

Anyway: Unlikely but we'll have to wait for official EPA numbers to see which scale factor they used this time. The larger the scale factor is relative to 0.7, the more likely it is that people will be disappointed.

It's also possible that in general around town the discrepancy between rated and actual range will be smaller, if losses are not dominated by aero. With AT tires (if the ratings are done with them, TBD), they'll be a bigger proportion of the overall losses, so other losses (like aero, AC use, etc.) will have less impact.

However, with the CTs Cd of 0.335 and large cross-section, I think it will be hard to avoid disappointment on the freeway, since the government's test is mandated to be done at much lower speeds. The EPA should mandate an Interstate highway EPA range & efficiency rating for all vehicles. (Basically a static 70mph test.).
Yeah, that CD isn’t very good. Much higher than even a Rivian.

I'm not aware of there being a major discrepancy with Tesla's "guess" and the actual EPA number, recently. Are you?

I'd be surprised if there were, since Tesla is the one that does the test, and I assume they've done one at this point.

I think the only question is which tires they run with and whether there's a disconnect there.
Given all of he other numbers they fudged to look better than they are (torque for example) we know the Charlatan used AT tires for the rating. Isn’t that obvious?

Total copium here, but I drive rather "spiritedly" in my M3P and wife's MXP. I get roughly 225 and 250-280 miles on a full charge respectively between each vehicle. Doing a similar calculation of 70% range on a 500 miles on a CT...... It comes out to 350 miles. Is it possible, that Tesla is actually being more truthful with their range this go around? Seeing as more people have talked about the optimism of the website regarding vehicle ranges.

Okay guys, everyone can go back to ignoring my copium now. Thanks for playing.
Tesla being truthful? I doubt it: I noticed yesterday their deception on the webpage: at the top of the CT page, they are mixing and matching 2 models, making it sound like these features are in one model, when they are actually from two. 340 range + 2.6 sec 0-60. 340 range is for the AWD, 2.6 sec is for the Cyberbeast. I do not like this.

Total copium here, but I drive rather "spiritedly" in my M3P and wife's MXP. I get roughly 225 and 250-280 miles on a full charge respectively between each vehicle. Doing a similar calculation of 70% range on a 500 miles on a CT...... It comes out to 350 miles. Is it possible, that Tesla is actually being more truthful with their range this go around? Seeing as more people have talked about the optimism of the website regarding vehicle ranges.

Okay guys, everyone can go back to ignoring my copium now. Thanks for playing.
0% chance. Tesla having a EPA ~500 miles record breaking range vehicle in their line-up but *just to play it safe* pitches it as 350 miles. LOL.

I'm actually floored at how many people seemed to believe Tesla would come anything close to 500 miles. It was such obvious bullshit from day 1.
exactly. all the prices and specs on Day 1 were total BS.

1) a $39k full size truck priced *under* a Model 3 ?

2) 500 miles of range? that was never ever possible... if even after installing the abomination of "range extender" and losing 1/3rd of your bed, cutting payload to well under 2k lbs, and you still don't hit 500 miles...

Tesla being truthful? I doubt it: I noticed yesterday their deception on the webpage: at the top of the CT page, they are mixing and matching 2 models, making it sound like these features are in one model, when they are actually from two. 340 range + 2.6 sec 0-60. 340 range is for the AWD, 2.6 sec is for the Cyberbeast. I do not like this.
There's lots of deception on that page, like showing prices after federal tax credit and gas savings! Did you see this Charlatan fine print at the bottom? How about the bogus 10000+ lb-ft torque claim?! 🤣

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 1.08.48 PM.png

exactly. all the prices and specs on Day 1 were total BS.

1) a $39k full size truck priced *under* a Model 3 ?

2) 500 miles of range? that was never ever possible... if even after installing the abomination of "range extender" and losing 1/3rd of your bed, cutting payload to well under 2k lbs, and you still don't hit 500 miles...
Just a Charlatan doing what a charlatan does best - lie, deceive and convince you to give them your money, freely....

Although I was disappointed a bit with what I saw of the delivery info, it is still too early to determine what the max range is until we see some Range Extender details.
If it ends up being something like a powerwall that can be used for home grid storage 90% of the time when one does not need to go 500 miles on a charge or 250 towing a trailer or with a large load, it will be awesome.
My biggest issue with the CT that will likely affect my decision to eventually buy is its offroad capability though. I'm not sure about not being able to see out the back. I find that being able to back up when one encounters impassible terrain (or good judgement takes over), is very useful. I tried using just side mirrors when I got into such a situation last week and didn't like it. I've never tried to do it with a camera. A tank-turn could also be useful under these circumstances as well.

• Funny
Although I was disappointed a bit with what I saw of the delivery info, it is still too early to determine what the max range is until we see some Range Extender details.
If it ends up being something like a powerwall that can be used for home grid storage 90% of the time when one does not need to go 500 miles on a charge or 250 towing a trailer or with a large load, it will be awesome.
My biggest issue with the CT that will likely affect my decision to eventually buy is its offroad capability though. I'm not sure about not being able to see out the back. I find that being able to back up when one encounters impassible terrain (or good judgement takes over), is very useful. I tried using just side mirrors when I got into such a situation last week and didn't like it. I've never tried to do it with a camera. A tank-turn could also be useful under these circumstances as well.
can we stop with this ? it will be hundreds of lbs and needs service center removal/install .... it's not a magsafe anker battery pack for an iphone

you will get it installed and keep it there for the foreseeable future unless you want to make and pay for SC visits....

can we stop with this ? it will be hundreds of lbs and needs service center removal/install .... it's not a magsafe anker battery pack for an iphone

you will get it installed and keep it there for the foreseeable future unless you want to make and pay for SC visits....
Have you ever heard of 2 new inventions called 'the wheel' and the 'inclined plane'? They've been around for a few thousand years. We use these things all the time. Even an electronics geek like me can figure out a few candidate designs to pull a big pick up the ramp and into the bed. One can even stand it up and roll it up against a wall in the garage.

Without specs on towing capacity of the CT this is only speculation, but the main difference between the RWD CT and RWD MY other than the $17,000 price increase is towing capacity? Similar range and acceleration. Never made sense that the CT would be close to the same price as the MY. As disappointing as it is, this pricing fits within the model lineup for type of vehicle and what you get. $30k premium to go from 330mi AWD MY to 340mi AWD CT. That does seem a bit high compared to the jump from the AWD Large battery Mach E to a similar F150.

Not major but considering the numbers are “off” anyways it’s not a big deal. It’s not like a Tesla estimated car will get that actual mileage in the real world.
Exactly which is why we needed to promised 500+ miles.

10% off the top and 10% off the bottom gives you only 400 stated range on a daily basis. That only 200 miles each way.

of course Tesla Range is about 15% less so we are really down from 500 to 340. 340. It enough.

then there is weather deductions and wind or slope deductions. Towing deductions and let’s us not forget about battery degradation which could be 10%

so 500+ miles is what we really need for a truck.

he failed at 320. We will be lucky to drive 120 miles each way as it stand now.
this is real world people.

Reactions: coleAK and jebinc