Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 or 7 seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also struggled with this, but ended up getting the 7-seat config, and we are very happy. Here's how I see it:

7-seat:
- Excellent for 4, 5, and obviously for 7. OK for 6 with one person getting all of 3rd row, if you don't need the storage.
- Big benefit of having a HUGE trunk space with up to 5.
- Big benefit of having vast space with only 1 or 2 people, and even with three when you fold down the 60% of middle row. This is your ideal ikea configuration. ;)
- Only real option for in-vehicle camping due to huge lay-flat space.
- Probably more flexible with one carseat and definitely more flexible with two car seats. Safest with one carseat since it can be in middle.

6-seat:
- Fabulous roadtrip for 4 or 5. Great for 4 of 6. But, note that 6 requires two in the 3rd row, so less storage and crowded back there.
- Much better control of middle row tilting, BUT middle row can never go flat.
- No car seat in rear middle (safest possible location, and a show-stopper for my wife).
- Definitely more impressive, luxurious, and cool looking on first viewing.

So, it turns out that we did a serious road trip with 7 (one child in car seat), and the 7-seat config was more than adequate with plenty of storage. I agree that the 6-seat config would be better for 6, but the car seat wouldn't work nearly as well in either middle-row seat, while it works great in the middle of the 7-seat config.

One more thing to add...with the 6 seater, you can also control the middle seats from the screen.

I have an X on order and got a 6 seater with centre console (available off menu). I hate the lack of armrests on the 6 seat layout as I want my rear passengers to be comfortable. I plan to use the car as a 4 seater, and keep the 3rd row seats folded, unless I need to transport more than 4 (I don't have kids).

I ordered the 7 "just in case" I ever need to haul that many people.

My wife and I also loved camper mode in the S, and the 7 seater X was the only way to get that huge space (well, 5 seat could too) so we can fit the mattress and both be very comfortable.

Reactions: rjdoc74
I think the trade off comes to what do you plan on using your X for most. If it is hauling people daily like kids to and from school, that the 6 seater is easier for kids to get in and out. If you need the extra cargo space, then the 7 seater is better since you can fold everything flat.

Or if you are like me and only have 4 or less people 99.9% of the time, get the 5 seater, save $5,000, and have a ton of cargo space.

We had the 6 (with center console) then traded for a 7. We added an aftermarket center console as an armrest on the 7.

Both are great but the fold flat capability just cinched it for us - we hardly use our truck now and are seriously considering selling it since the X can haul more with a fold flat second row.

As others said, it comes down to comfort vs. utility.

One more thing to add...with the 6 seater, you can also control the middle seats from the screen.

I have an X on order and got a 6 seater with centre console (available off menu). I hate the lack of armrests on the 6 seat layout as I want my rear passengers to be comfortable. I plan to use the car as a 4 seater, and keep the 3rd row seats folded, unless I need to transport more than 4 (I don't have kids).
When did you order? I just placed an order last week and was told centre console no longer available off menu which was my desired spec.

We had the 6 (with center console) then traded for a 7. We added an aftermarket center console as an armrest on the 7.

Both are great but the fold flat capability just cinched it for us - we hardly use our truck now and are seriously considering selling it since the X can haul more with a fold flat second row.

As others said, it comes down to comfort vs. utility.
Can you share a picture of the center console?

Can you share a picture of the center console?

I did the evamped one. It's fine as these go - has straps that wrap around the seat to hold it in place.

3118B9OLMEL._SX425_.jpg

Reactions: mswlogo and 5JMJ
6 is a better people hauler unless you really need the 7th seat.

7 is more flexible and a better cargo hauler for big items.

If you often carry more than four total people in the car and don't expect to need to move items more than sixty inches long that are over fourteen inches wide with the car, get the 6.

Otherwise I'd suggest the 7.

How do you all find the legroom in the rear-most seats in the 7 seat model?

We have a 6-seat (w/ no console) but agonized about 6 vs 7 for a long time, pre-purchase. We test drove the 6 seat model and really liked the access to the rear-most seats so that's what we went with. However, my first time seeing a 7 seat model was at the Tesla store yesterday and it seemed to not have enough room for even my 9 year old's legs with his younger brother in the seat in front of him. I'm curious if we just had the seats too far back or if there's a legit amount of legroom in the back that I wasn't seeing.