Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat versus 7 seat - need HELP please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about third row legroom compared to other SUV's /crossovers/minivans. From all the cars I've sat in the third row the seven seat model X was the best. While the seats block your view and the side windows are tiny (like in other cars) it really isn't bad for me (I'm around 5'5). In other cars I generally have the get my feet under the seats in front of me because legroom is terrible! I can tell you that your feet would probably get chopped off in an accident.
Show me a 7 seater SUV with better third row legroom and I will understand what you guys are talking about.

I'm curious about third row legroom compared to other SUV's /crossovers/minivans. From all the cars I've sat in the third row the seven seat model X was the best. While the seats block your view and the side windows are tiny (like in other cars) it really isn't bad for me (I'm around 5'5). In other cars I generally have the get my feet under the seats in front of me because legroom is terrible! I can tell you that your feet would probably get chopped off in an accident.
Show me a 7 seater SUV with better third row legroom and I will understand what you guys are talking about.

The amount of leg room in the 3rd row is very much a function of how much one makes available to the 2nd row. I've never really understood how car companies decide how much leg room is available in each row. Clearly the right number to give would be the total amount available in total and then just assume that it can be split between the rows as desired. (within reason of course)

I think the discussion in this thread is more about legroom in a 6 seat vs 7 seat X and less about how the 7 seat compares to the competition.

Since all CUVs have limited space in the back row, some are saying that the 6 seat configuration offered by the X is helpful if you desire more leg room. I personally agree.

Reactions: Saxena
When I was a kid, my father used to fold down the seats in his 1974 2 door Toyota Corolla hatchback, place a cheap foam mattress over the seats, and stack myself and my three brothers (ages 4 to 10) like sardines in the back for a non-stop 960 mile drive from Portland, Oregon to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Our only view was the back of the driver and passenger seat and perhaps a glimpse of the road if we craned our neck. We would stop once or twice for food and a restroom. That is claustrophobia.

Your children will be passengers in a Model X. I don't think an extra seat will adversely impact their riding experience or lives. Enjoy without worry.

Reactions: Ormond
We have a 7 seat version and in hindsight would have order 6 seat version. It is a bit snug back in the third row, but also in an accident you could be trapped there. There is hardly enough room for my slender 13 year old to climb over the second row seats to exit (she did this before she knew how to press the button and move the second row seats forward). If there was an accident and the electronics died one could be stuck there until you broke the rear hatch window.

I REALLY wish Tesla had two modifications to the X: 1) Have the second row seats fold (yes, many people have mentioned this before) and 2) have the second row middle seat be removable like my Highlander. That way most of the time you would have a 6 seat car and on the occasions when you need the 7th seat you can quickly install it.

Reactions: Ormond
2) have the second row middle seat be removable like my Highlander.
In my ideal wish-list scenario, this would apply to the entire second row (like my old Honda Odyssey). I recognize there would be difficulties with the floor integration for a single pedestal connection during impact. But if Tesla could manage it, it would make for a huge win on this vehicle.

After reading this further I would suggest that besides the visibility concern which is probably personal taste (we find this to be a non-issue) it comes down to how often you will have 5 occupants versus 6 occupants. If you will regularly have 7, then it is obviously a no brainer. If you will regularly have 5 then access to the third row is a moot point because you can fit all occupants in the first two rows. At any time, given a choice between sitting in row 2 or 3, the choice would be 2 as they are much more comfortable and roomy seats. Also if you regularly have 5 passengers, the 7 seat configuration allows the whole 3rd row to be used for luggage without anyone having to sit beside luggage. If 6 occupants is the most common requirement then the 6 seater provides the most comfortable and usable configuration.
The only other factor that has given me pause to question our 7 seat configuration is if we need to transport longer items.

We were also set on getting a 7 seat config until trying it with the kids. The 6 seater worked much better for us. Our SC let us keep the car overnight so we could easily check how the config worked with our kids. Have to second the wish that the second row seats were removable (like our odyssey). I think Tesla really missed the mark with the second row seats.

I'm in a similar situation. 4 kids including 13 yo triplets now over 5' tall. Very glad we went with the six seat version. The third row doesn't feel nearly as cramped with the open 2nd row seat. And visibility and access also improved. This is a slam dunk for me. Good luck!

I don't think it would be likely to get trapped in there. I think you could get out of the seat of fold it down, climb over it and use the inside trunk release. And plus, the second row seats can probably be pulled forward or pushed forward manually with a lot of force. Or 'just' climb over them.