Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat versus 7 seat - need HELP please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, skis....

It may not be helpful in your case, but I like the 6 seater (and it was just delivered yesterday!) because of skis.

As I've looked more and more into the accessory-hitch bicycle/ski carriers, I've become pretty disenchanted with the idea of putting skis on the rack. Both the Thule and Yakima solutions seem like pretty lame compromises. While I'm hoping Tesla will come up with something better, I'm not holding my breath.

With the middle seat missing, however, I think we will most likely just slot skis straight down the middle for most of our ski trips.

That being said, we only have 2 kids, so 4 seats isn't a problem.
That also appealed to me - in general anything long that one might want to load would be better in this configuration. To be clear we only have the 2 kids which is why the 7 seat seems less sensible. My point was that we also often have another person with us and in that scenario, having the 3 across would be better. I guess, given this, I should throw the 5 seat into this mix - how often do we need 6 seats really? Apparently the 5 seat configuration may be disappearing (though still in my configurator last time I looked) so that may be one less thing to make me unable to configure.

I'd go with 6 seats, you can put the twins in the middle row and the adult can sit in the back with the ability to lean forward or, if they want, unstrap and come right up between the twins. Stretch their legs between the middle seats it becomes quite comfortable back there if they are shorter than 6' (above 6' the C cross beam that serves as the hinge point for the rear hatch feels uncomfortably close to your forehead). When they get bigger and forward facing you can put them in the back.

Reactions: DarrinR
I attended a Meet X event as press and checked out both 6 and 7 configurations. I personally think 6 is the way to go. The middle seat in the second row for 7-seater significantly obstructs the view from the rear view mirror, and does close off the 3rd row and makes it seem isolated. The 6-seater just feels a lot more open, all passengers can actually interact better, and you can see through the rear view mirror a lot better. If I were buying an X, I'd go with a 6-seater.

I had the same issue you had. I read all the forums and thought my 7 seater was a huge mistake. Guess what? It's fine. My three girls sit in the second row together. Sometimes one goes back to the third row. It's pretty comfortable. Trust me, the kids will love it. It will be fine. Stop reading all the forums on opinions. It will drive you crazy. Nobody has complained yet. The only issue is all my kids' friends want to get into my car cause it's the "coolest". It becomes a real zoo at times.
Thank you for the sanity check! Just what I needed.

FYI: The 5 seat will not be disappearing. It just hasn't been built yet, along with the 70 kWh version.

Anyway, I'd encourage buyers to test load skis or a snowboard into the 6 seat config. You'll likely come to the realization that not having a roof rack solution is not a good idea, especially after trying a snow trip.

I'd go with 6 seats, you can put the twins in the middle row and the adult can sit in the back with the ability to lean forward or, if they want, unstrap and come right up between the twins. Stretch their legs between the middle seats it becomes quite comfortable back there if they are shorter than 6' (above 6' the C cross beam that serves as the hinge point for the rear hatch feels uncomfortably close to your forehead). When they get bigger and forward facing you can put them in the back.
OK Done!
That was basically where I was mentally but I appreciate this thread helping me argue through it again. If I weigh up all factors, and everyone's feedback, 6 seats appears to be the way to go if I'm going to buy a model X.

I believe that a 4 seat option would also be super popular.

Wonderful spacious feeling for two couples riding together, along with the option of putting longer items into the back.

Most SUV's have the option of folding one 2nd row seat down to load longer items, while still allowing two additional passengers.

Also popular for Mom and Dad with two kids. The empty space between the kids would go a long way to reduce squabbling.

I had the same worries - I ordered the 7-seater, then saw all of these complaints about it and wondered if I should have gotten the 6-seater. I'm happy with the 7-seater, however. A few thoughts:

1) I think that the issue with the middle seat headrest is WAY overblown. When I'm backing out of spots, I use the rearview camera. When I'm driving, I use the rearview mirror. If there is another car behind me while driving, it is very easy to see with the rearview mirror. The only time the headrest might block a car behind you is if it is wayyyyy behind you (and looks very small). But that wouldn't really impact me when changing lanes or anything. If the car is close enough to you to be an issue, it is clearly visible. I thought that this would be a real problem for me, and it has turned out to be a non-event. I think that even if you had a 6-seater, if you had 2 people regularly sitting in the third row, this would block the view a bit anyway.

2) I am a 5'6" pregnant woman and I sat in the third row and found it to be very comfortable. I didn't expect it to be as comfortable as the second row, however. The third row in an SUV is never that comfortable! But I thought it was as comfortable, if not more so, than the seats in my previous Toyota Highlander/Acura MDX/Honda Pilots. If you tend to feel claustrophobic, I don't think you'd like any of the third rows in these cars. I think that kids are much less finicky with this stuff. If you have some older sons that may grow to be 6'3" in a few years, maybe it isn't the best seat for them, but if your kids are younger/female/shorter, then I think they would probably like it back there. I'm not sure about the carsickness - I tend to get carsick wherever I'm sitting if I'm not driving, although it's not as bad when I sit in the front passenger seat.

3) A complaint about the 7-seat middle row with kids - the only cupholders for the second row are the ones that pop out of the center console. So that's 2 cupholders for 3 kids, and the cupholder popping out will take away legroom from the person sitting in the middle seat. My old SUV had cupholders on the doors so had 4 cupholders for the second row seat but you obviously can't do that with the falcon wing doors, so you lose two cupholders in the Model X.

4) How often are you actually traveling with all 6 people in you family? If you're traveling all the time with 6 people, and don't have large car seats blocking access to the middle aisle from the falcon wing doors, then it would probably be faster for people to get in and out with a 6-seater. But most families aren't always traveling with all of the kids - maybe 4 kids and 1 parent regularly, or even just a couple of kids and 1 parent. In that scenario, I think it is faster and easier to have 1 parent in the driver's seat, and then the 4 kids in the passenger seat and second row (if one of your kids is old enough for the passenger seat) - and then you don't even have to worry about accessing the third row. And you can keep it folded down to help with visibility and allow for more storage if your kids have a lot of sports equipment and stuff. Then you can just use one of the third row seats if all of you are using the car, but for most trips on a day-to-day basis, the kids + 1 parent could fit in the first two rows.

5) If you're not using the third row regularly, you can then push the second row seats all the way back and get more legroom in the second row for people. There is a LOT of legroom in the second row when the seats are pushed all the way back.

6) I can't speak from experience, but I think it would really annoy me to not have armrests on the middle row seats in the 6-seater.

7) I don't have a dog right now because he passed away in October - but I do think that the 6-seater would have been nicer for us if we still had our dog, because then he could lie down in the little aisle between the seats without taking up space in the back of the car (and without getting his paws all over the white seats!)

Overall, I think each one has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm happy with the 7-seater, but our family situation is different than yours.

For what it's worth, I think I'm going to stick with my 7 seater as I can get it next week but would likely have ordered the 6 seater if I do it again. Now let me get the car and will share my perspective for anyone who cares and is struggling with this decision. Thanks everyone for being SO helpful

Reactions: MarkoC and gpetti
I agonized over the 6 vs 7 dilemma too. In the end, the wife made it clear. Our usual travel involves 5 people and the ability to fold down the 3rd row for the luggage / strollers etc and still seat 5 comfortably was important. If we are more than 5, then we will consider taking 2 vehicles since 6 or more with luggage won't work in the 6 seat config.

Our < 1yo son will very likely take the center seat. Yes, I know it doesn't have latch, but correctly installed car seats with seat belts are equally safe as those correctly installed with latch/isofit. Latch only makes it foolproof, but both the wife and I understand and know how to use the seat belt attachment correctly. Plus the middle seat in 2nd row is the safest place in a side impact scenario.

We initially thought we'd only buy the 7 seater. Then as I read the forums and then at the Meet the X event as we test drove the 6 seater, both me and my wife were convinced the 6 seater was roomy and comfortable. However my wife wasn't convinced the my son's car seat was not easily reachable when they both were on the 2nd row.

After some thought, we decided to go with the 7 seater. This is because we would use 5 seats more often than > 5 seats. With a 6 seater, we would need to have the 3rd row up all the time taking away storage. Because our needs for > 5 seats are not that frequent it wasn't too hard for us to decide.

• Helpful
Reactions: gpetti
Ah crap :) So many good points for 7 seats! I still have a week to decide so thanks everyone for you great insights. It does ultimately come down to us looking at the various usage scenarios described here and figuring out which ones apply to us. One thing about the visibility - my S is only marginally better (I think the middle headrest is very slightly smaller) and I have not had a problem.

For what it's worth, I think I'm going to stick with my 7 seater as I can get it next week but would likely have ordered the 6 seater if I do it again. Now let me get the car and will share my perspective for anyone who cares and is struggling with this decision. Thanks everyone for being SO helpful

The deciding factor for me was that with a family of 5, I don't need to use the third row. With the 6 seater, I would always have to use the third row. The trunk is very small when the seats aren't folded down. With a family of 5 with three kids in the second row, you can put down the third row and actually fit some real luggage in the back without struggling.

This.
I almost regretted getting the 7 seater after reading this forum but so glad I did. It's great to have the last row folded down for luggage and still have 5 seats. With two small kids in the back it is essential that an adult be able to sit between them for those times when...
And then of course just today I needed to fit seven people. So cool having all of us together. I wouldn't recommend it for extended periods, but for short trips there's plenty of room for everyone!

Out of curiosity, for those with the 7 seater and two car seats in the outer seats - how much room is there for an adult between them anyway? We are able to do it in our Model S, but it's very tight - as in, unreasonably tight. Is is similar in the Model X?

Family of four here, so the six seater was the obvious choice. If we had one more, I probably would have gone with the 7.

I've said this in other forums, so in short, I have 3 kids (12, 10, and 6) and before the Model X, we were riding in the Model S. We had numerous instances of carsickness and a few times of throwing up (thankfully outside the car). Now with the 7 seater Model X, they fight over who will sit in the 3rd row. They love it. Yesterday we had one of those long trips in traffic that we usually had and we had no problems at all. We're looking forward to taking our first ever family road trip and driving to Orlando :D

Has anyone with 7 seat configuration looked at the possibility of removing the middle seat in second row themselves? It'll be great if you can convert it to a 6 seater when needed and the seat will make a great piece of art in the garage.

That's not a trivial task. That seat has a whole bunch of electrical connections for heating, motor controls, sensors, etc. It doesn't sound like Tesla made it easy to unplug the connections and unscrew a few bolts to remove the seat.

Furthermore, if you do manage to remove the seat, it's not a guarantee that the vehicle will be drivable since the disconnected sensors may cause issues with the software.

If someone wants to invest the time and effort to test this all out, the forum will be eternally grateful. :D Take lots of pictures.