Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Weeks & 7,000 Miles - Thoughts from a penny pincher (2023 MYLR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People buy cars for different reasons. Cool factor, the environment, the cost, the performance, the utility of the vehicle, etc.

For me personally, I purchased a Tesla for potential savings.

After six weeks and 7,000 miles (including a 3,000 mile road trip) I would like to share my observations for those who may be penny pinchers like me.

In other posts I've described my plan to purchase a 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE and drive it at least 300,000 miles over the next 10 years. At the last moment I switched gears and took a chance on a Tesla because my spreadsheet said I could save money (not a lot, but some) over 10 years with a Tesla. I'll let you know in 10 years if I was right.

1. Looks - I've not been a big fan of the exterior design of the various Tesla Models, but it has grown on me. I purchased the blue MYLR and really like it now. Which I guess is good since I have to look at it for years to come.
2. Performance - I'd driven my relatives Tesla, but honestly I wasn't prepared for the WOW factor to have lasted this long. I read about people who after a few years still are enjoying the Wow factor of the performance of their Tesla. I believe it. Penny Pinching aside, it would be very hard to go back to a Corolla/Camry in regards to performance. I just love driving it.
3. Super Charger Network - I've been very impressed. They seem to be virtually everywhere I need them. There were occasions on my recent 3,000 mile road trip where it was slightly inconvenient, but not bad at all. And in real life, day to day driving, its zero inconvenience.
4. Charging at home - This is a huge saver. This is where the cost savings comes in to play.
5. Range Anxiety - I read a lot before my purchase that virtually everyone has it and that it goes away quickly for virtually everyone. This has been my experience. I had it. I even had one scare. But after a few weeks of watching everything like a hawk, doing math, calculating distances, etc. I rarely look anymore. The trip computer isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. I charge when it says I need to and pretty much can travel where I need to go within the parameters the computer tells me. Its good.
6. Enhanced Auto Pilot - I purchased EAP and really like most of the features. I'm in the camp of people that enjoy the lane change feature. But it's still a brainless computer and it try to have my changes lanes at times and in places that "people" wouldn't. But overall I enjoy all of the "driver assist" features. I use them ALOT.

So, my road trip. We left Wisconsin and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls, then to Boston, NYC, and returned home. Just shy of 3,000 miles. We supercharged the entire trip. I found that it consumed about 15-30 minutes of my day to supercharge on a trip like this. When you can't charge overnight obviously it takes a little more time. But chargers were easy to come by.

Map.png

Cost Analysis - Compared to other vehicles I would have driven if I hadn't taken the Tesla.

Because supercharges aren't nearly as cheap as level 2 charging at home, it actually cost me more to supercharge than it would have for gas in either of my hybrid options. But not by much. For me the pluses of the MYLR are enough to make up the cost difference.

$0.11 cents a mile to drive the Tesla. $0.09 cents a mile for the Camry Hybrid. So it was actually about $60 more expensive to drive the Tesla than the Camry Hybrid would have been.

Actual Cost.png

For comparison sake, if I were to drive the same distance but charge at home every night I would have saved a lot of money in comparison. If I could have charged at home it would have cost me about $0.03 per mile saving me about $150. But on a road trip this wasn't possible.

Level 2 Cost.png

Lifetime stats for the three people out there wondering... Because 50% of my charging has been supercharging it is costing me about $0.07 per mile. Cheaper than my other options, but not by much. I do however expect that to change. I anticipate over the lifetime of the MYLR my supercharging will only be about 20-25% of the total charging.

Lifetime.png

Anyway, there are lots of good reasons to get a Tesla. If there is anyone out there like me that tracks every gas fill up, every oil change, ever car wash, every transmission flush, etc. There isn't nearly as much to track on a Tesla. But still enough to keep my inner nerd happy.

Winter in Wisconsin will be my next adventure. I anticipate it will be just fine. I expect to have to charge a little more. No longer worried.

Thank you first off for the thoughtfulness you put into this, much appreciated and provokes good discussions.

Personally I don't see how the Camry wouldn't have been a better option? For the money saved (20 USD a month) for the inconvenience seems pretty bad? That along with the possibility of a 17k battery would surely rinse all savings?

Also the time value of money. If your Camry cost 20k less, this 20k is worth significantly more than in 10 years time? Going with a 5% tbill (risk free), 20k is around 32k usd in 10 year horizon.

Would a better option if electric was desired not be to have purchased an older car with FSD a few years of battery life and with unlimited free charging? Granted I am an edge case, but I have currently done around 420,000 KM of free charging and whilst I am sure I have lost most of the value of the car in depreciation, the savings on the fuel have been worth it. In your case if Tesla moves price of supercharging higher again it would turn negative for the savings?

But I am a little biased as I love Toyota and never paid anything in maintenance on them. My father had a prius that he has had for many many years and has had the same experience.

^^ maybe not when you start getting the high mileage out of warranty repair bills.

I like this topic but I think OP lost cheap cred when he bought EAP. I like nav on auto, but I'm not paying that much for it.

The whole oil production pipeline has a ton of tax credits and incentives, which are supported by taxes. Same also likely with electric production. We also get benefits from having oil and electricity readily available. It's pretty much political suicide to have policies that raise gas costs. Otoh, climate change costs are not going to be cheap. Any comparison of supercharging vs gas costs has a big asterisk beside it. Bottom line - I like my Tesla enough to pay some extra for the car (dropping rapidly) and some extra for supercharging if needed.