Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Weeks & 7,000 Miles - Thoughts from a penny pincher (2023 MYLR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People buy cars for different reasons. Cool factor, the environment, the cost, the performance, the utility of the vehicle, etc.

For me personally, I purchased a Tesla for potential savings.

After six weeks and 7,000 miles (including a 3,000 mile road trip) I would like to share my observations for those who may be penny pinchers like me.

In other posts I've described my plan to purchase a 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE and drive it at least 300,000 miles over the next 10 years. At the last moment I switched gears and took a chance on a Tesla because my spreadsheet said I could save money (not a lot, but some) over 10 years with a Tesla. I'll let you know in 10 years if I was right.

1. Looks - I've not been a big fan of the exterior design of the various Tesla Models, but it has grown on me. I purchased the blue MYLR and really like it now. Which I guess is good since I have to look at it for years to come.
2. Performance - I'd driven my relatives Tesla, but honestly I wasn't prepared for the WOW factor to have lasted this long. I read about people who after a few years still are enjoying the Wow factor of the performance of their Tesla. I believe it. Penny Pinching aside, it would be very hard to go back to a Corolla/Camry in regards to performance. I just love driving it.
3. Super Charger Network - I've been very impressed. They seem to be virtually everywhere I need them. There were occasions on my recent 3,000 mile road trip where it was slightly inconvenient, but not bad at all. And in real life, day to day driving, its zero inconvenience.
4. Charging at home - This is a huge saver. This is where the cost savings comes in to play.
5. Range Anxiety - I read a lot before my purchase that virtually everyone has it and that it goes away quickly for virtually everyone. This has been my experience. I had it. I even had one scare. But after a few weeks of watching everything like a hawk, doing math, calculating distances, etc. I rarely look anymore. The trip computer isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. I charge when it says I need to and pretty much can travel where I need to go within the parameters the computer tells me. Its good.
6. Enhanced Auto Pilot - I purchased EAP and really like most of the features. I'm in the camp of people that enjoy the lane change feature. But it's still a brainless computer and it try to have my changes lanes at times and in places that "people" wouldn't. But overall I enjoy all of the "driver assist" features. I use them ALOT.

So, my road trip. We left Wisconsin and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls, then to Boston, NYC, and returned home. Just shy of 3,000 miles. We supercharged the entire trip. I found that it consumed about 15-30 minutes of my day to supercharge on a trip like this. When you can't charge overnight obviously it takes a little more time. But chargers were easy to come by.

Map.png

Cost Analysis - Compared to other vehicles I would have driven if I hadn't taken the Tesla.

Because supercharges aren't nearly as cheap as level 2 charging at home, it actually cost me more to supercharge than it would have for gas in either of my hybrid options. But not by much. For me the pluses of the MYLR are enough to make up the cost difference.

$0.11 cents a mile to drive the Tesla. $0.09 cents a mile for the Camry Hybrid. So it was actually about $60 more expensive to drive the Tesla than the Camry Hybrid would have been.

Actual Cost.png

For comparison sake, if I were to drive the same distance but charge at home every night I would have saved a lot of money in comparison. If I could have charged at home it would have cost me about $0.03 per mile saving me about $150. But on a road trip this wasn't possible.

Level 2 Cost.png

Lifetime stats for the three people out there wondering... Because 50% of my charging has been supercharging it is costing me about $0.07 per mile. Cheaper than my other options, but not by much. I do however expect that to change. I anticipate over the lifetime of the MYLR my supercharging will only be about 20-25% of the total charging.

Lifetime.png

Anyway, there are lots of good reasons to get a Tesla. If there is anyone out there like me that tracks every gas fill up, every oil change, ever car wash, every transmission flush, etc. There isn't nearly as much to track on a Tesla. But still enough to keep my inner nerd happy.

Winter in Wisconsin will be my next adventure. I anticipate it will be just fine. I expect to have to charge a little more. No longer worried.

This penny pincher went with the M3 RWD stock white exterior color. My big splurge was the white interior and tinted windows due to the heat in the summer. My car is not garaged and I commute 70 miles round trip for work with the sun beating down on my driver side window to and from work. I don’t plan to splurge on any automated features either. But hey, the lotto is over $1B now 😙 so there is a chance…
Same here, but I skipped the white interior over staining fears. The basest base car one could buy. I joke that the White exterior, black interior, standard wheel RWD is the Prius of the Tesla family. Now that the sensation of speed has mostly worn off, I tend to drive for range rather than giggles.

I’ve done 3200mi in my first 9 months owning my MY and mainly charge at home only using the SC for the occasional road trips (2 so far). Did the maths the other day and I paid a total of 200 GBP for charging (home + public).
Impossible to beat with any ICE :D

Disclaimer: i live in the UK. I pay 0.079GBP/kWh for charging at home. Low mileage as I’m lucky enough to be able to commute by train/bicycle mainly using the car for the daily school runs and weekend outings.

I did this analysis before buying my M3 RWD in March and concluded that it was a wash vs a CR-V hybrid and a Prius is more cost effective. Used a cost/mi approach considering fuel, maintenance, tires and insurance. Insurance is the cost-effectiveness killer on the Tesla.

I'm in SoCal, with probably the highest average gas, electric and insurance costs in the US.

Reactions: gad1976
Your electricity is cheaper than mind. So when you compare EVs with electric vs the price of petrol in the UK, it is a massive savings.
The electric rate at my house is 10.7 cents/kWh. That doesn't seem to be anywhere near comparable to fuel costs, even on a Prius. What am I missing?
Lucky
Here in San Diego mine are .45 first 200kwh
Then .57. Lucky I have 45 panels

Reactions: yellowr6
$0.43 here in MA with Eversource. No matter how I cut it, I am paying about the same (or more) for MYLR as I would have paid in gas ($3.47/gallon). Luckily I have free charging at work so that helps. However, if anyone in MA is buying EV for saving money on gas they are just mis informed or haven't done any home work. Electricity prices in the north east are unbelievable and I don't think they will ever come down until the Russian war ends because all the Electric plants are run by gas coming in from Russia. The greenies in the state don't want any new gas pipelines so we are stuck. I think the only way govt will wake up when people start dying in MA due to lack of heat (many houses have electric heat) or we start seeing severe cuts that could impact security, govt functioning, etc. Only then we can expect some action in our senate. Right now no one cares.

BTW I also have Solar panels but they don't help as they are not able to keep up with our electricity demand.

Reactions: gad1976
$0.43 here in MA with Eversource. No matter how I cut it, I am paying about the same (or more) for MYLR as I would have paid in gas ($3.47/gallon). Luckily I have free charging at work so that helps. However, if anyone in MA is buying EV for saving money on gas they are just mis informed or haven't done any home work. Electricity prices in the north east are unbelievable and I don't think they will ever come down until the Russian war ends because all the Electric plants are run by gas coming in from Russia. The greenies in the state don't want any new gas pipelines so we are stuck. I think the only way govt will wake up when people start dying in MA due to lack of heat (many houses have electric heat) or we start seeing severe cuts that could impact security, govt functioning, etc. Only then we can expect some action in our senate. Right now no one cares.

BTW I also have Solar panels but they don't help as they are not able to keep up with our electricity demand.
Those rates are appalling. I'm the suburbs outside of NYC. It's 0.24c kw/h peak and 0.115c kw/h off peak before taxes and fees. Depends on usage with all the fees etc its around 0.27c kw/h. 43 cents a kwh is bat S crazy. I have solar also, we appealed and got the system larger than needed as we claimed we are getting a pool and hot tub!

Does MA have net metering like NY? I have 20 years 1-1 and the credit bank keeps on rolling over year 2 year. This time of year I avg 25 kw/h a day sent to the grid. I use nat gas for cooking, heating and hot water.

Reactions: yellowr6
The reason for some (maybe all) is they use a modified atkinson cycle engine. It's more efficient, but not as powerful. Hybrids get away with this because the electric fills the power gap.
Why did you copy and paste my post from the previous page of this thread?

People buy cars for different reasons. Cool factor, the environment, the cost, the performance, the utility of the vehicle, etc.

For me personally, I purchased a Tesla for potential savings.

After six weeks and 7,000 miles (including a 3,000 mile road trip) I would like to share my observations for those who may be penny pinchers like me.

In other posts I've described my plan to purchase a 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE and drive it at least 300,000 miles over the next 10 years. At the last moment I switched gears and took a chance on a Tesla because my spreadsheet said I could save money (not a lot, but some) over 10 years with a Tesla. I'll let you know in 10 years if I was right.

1. Looks - I've not been a big fan of the exterior design of the various Tesla Models, but it has grown on me. I purchased the blue MYLR and really like it now. Which I guess is good since I have to look at it for years to come.
2. Performance - I'd driven my relatives Tesla, but honestly I wasn't prepared for the WOW factor to have lasted this long. I read about people who after a few years still are enjoying the Wow factor of the performance of their Tesla. I believe it. Penny Pinching aside, it would be very hard to go back to a Corolla/Camry in regards to performance. I just love driving it.
3. Super Charger Network - I've been very impressed. They seem to be virtually everywhere I need them. There were occasions on my recent 3,000 mile road trip where it was slightly inconvenient, but not bad at all. And in real life, day to day driving, its zero inconvenience.
4. Charging at home - This is a huge saver. This is where the cost savings comes in to play.
5. Range Anxiety - I read a lot before my purchase that virtually everyone has it and that it goes away quickly for virtually everyone. This has been my experience. I had it. I even had one scare. But after a few weeks of watching everything like a hawk, doing math, calculating distances, etc. I rarely look anymore. The trip computer isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. I charge when it says I need to and pretty much can travel where I need to go within the parameters the computer tells me. Its good.
6. Enhanced Auto Pilot - I purchased EAP and really like most of the features. I'm in the camp of people that enjoy the lane change feature. But it's still a brainless computer and it try to have my changes lanes at times and in places that "people" wouldn't. But overall I enjoy all of the "driver assist" features. I use them ALOT.

So, my road trip. We left Wisconsin and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls, then to Boston, NYC, and returned home. Just shy of 3,000 miles. We supercharged the entire trip. I found that it consumed about 15-30 minutes of my day to supercharge on a trip like this. When you can't charge overnight obviously it takes a little more time. But chargers were easy to come by.

View attachment 960601

Cost Analysis - Compared to other vehicles I would have driven if I hadn't taken the Tesla.

Because supercharges aren't nearly as cheap as level 2 charging at home, it actually cost me more to supercharge than it would have for gas in either of my hybrid options. But not by much. For me the pluses of the MYLR are enough to make up the cost difference.

$0.11 cents a mile to drive the Tesla. $0.09 cents a mile for the Camry Hybrid. So it was actually about $60 more expensive to drive the Tesla than the Camry Hybrid would have been.

View attachment 960602

For comparison sake, if I were to drive the same distance but charge at home every night I would have saved a lot of money in comparison. If I could have charged at home it would have cost me about $0.03 per mile saving me about $150. But on a road trip this wasn't possible.

View attachment 960605

Lifetime stats for the three people out there wondering... Because 50% of my charging has been supercharging it is costing me about $0.07 per mile. Cheaper than my other options, but not by much. I do however expect that to change. I anticipate over the lifetime of the MYLR my supercharging will only be about 20-25% of the total charging.

View attachment 960606

Anyway, there are lots of good reasons to get a Tesla. If there is anyone out there like me that tracks every gas fill up, every oil change, ever car wash, every transmission flush, etc. There isn't nearly as much to track on a Tesla. But still enough to keep my inner nerd happy.

Winter in Wisconsin will be my next adventure. I anticipate it will be just fine. I expect to have to charge a little more. No longer worried.
Thank you for your write-up-info..I’m the opposite; Been retired from the automotive performance ind.
I purchased a MYP only because I couldn’t afford the Plaid.
Bought it because I love speed, fast cars and are enjoying it to the fullest 😃

Thanks for sharing!

As previously mentioned, I believe the cost of maintenance in the Tesla will be much less than that of the Camry as well. However, I would be curious to see if you experienced any increase in insurance costs with the Tesla? That should be a factor as well.

I myself moved from a 2018 Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid to a 2023 MYLR, and I found my insurance costs skyrocketed. I am a married middle-aged man with an excellent driving history. The issue with Tesla's seems to be that they are often considered totaled following accidents due to battery concerns, even if the accidents are relatively minor.

I also was a bit disappointed to see the "phantom battery loss" effect in the Tesla due to the cameras and climate control. Although I turned the climate to "no ac", it still sucks down some range during the hot summer days in an exterior parking area. My old PHEV had no phantom battery range loss whatsoever.

Thanks for sharing!

As previously mentioned, I believe the cost of maintenance in the Tesla will be much less than that of the Camry as well. However, I would be curious to see if you experienced any increase in insurance costs with the Tesla? That should be a factor as well.

I myself moved from a 2018 Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid to a 2023 MYLR, and I found my insurance costs skyrocketed. I am a married middle-aged man with an excellent driving history. The issue with Tesla's seems to be that they are often considered totaled following accidents due to battery concerns, even if the accidents are relatively minor.

I also was a bit disappointed to see the "phantom battery loss" effect in the Tesla due to the cameras and climate control. Although I turned the climate to "no ac", it still sucks down some range during the hot summer days in an exterior parking area. My old PHEV had no phantom battery range loss whatsoever.
Most likely the energy loss is going to keep the batteries cool. High temps are bad for battery degradation on Li-ion batteries.

I had a PHEV, and it was just air cooled, with no liquid cooling system like on Tesla. The heat in Florida definitely took its tool on them and in Texas it really accelerated the degradation. The car lost 50% of its capacity in 6 years.

A majority of miles driven in my new '23 Camry hybrid have been highway, it gets 45.X mpg. It will show low 50's on a backroad or city driving.

Our '21 RAV4 hybrid gets 37-40 mpg on the highway, depending on weather conditions.

It is not true that a (Toyota) hybrid isn't a good distance highway/interstate driving vehicle, it's still improved over the ICE only version. For the record, I'm not trying to say that our Toyota hybrids are better or worse than a Tesla, just providing accurate context. I think the OP did the right thing choosing the Model Y over an XSE Camry. We bought our XSE RAV4 a few years ago, but if choosing today I would get the MY. My recently purchased Camry SE was much cheaper than a M3 or MY would have cost, and will by my son's first car. I wasn't going to give him something as fast as a Tesla. :)
My first Honda Civic Hybrid was getting the same milage. After 5 years. I replaced the tires and the range dropped to 38 mpg. and about 34 mpg in the winter. The tires were specifically made for that hybrid model. My co-worker who owned Prius said the exact same thing when he changed his tires. That Honda saved me a lot of money on gas though in the first 5 years.

I am planning my first "road trip" on my new Model S. Because I'm going with family, I like to "plan" our road stops...this is what I did when I tripped in an ICE vehicle too. Plan to stop every 3ish hours for a break...every other stop (every 6 hours) for a bite to eat.

This is one area where it is still slightly less convenient to charge EVs vs. filling up with gas. With a gas car, I would "find a place where we want to eat"...without regard to where gas stations were. With the EV road trip....it's "find a supercharger where there are also amenities I want". This will limit your choice of amenities if you are really planning to maximize time efficiency.

While I am confident that Tesla's planner would work in terms of getting me there in the most efficient time possible, more advanced planning is needed if you want to pick your chargers that have specific amenities. For example, if I know I will be stopping about 400 miles into the trip for 1 hour to eat, I want to puck a super charger that has a restaurant near by, so I can combine a full hour of charging while eating.

I've found that "A better route planner" fills this gap nicely. I just planned my NJ to Wisconsin round trip, was able to find specific locations and set the time charging there, and have the route planner fill in the rest. "The rest" being the typical 15 minute charging or so stops every couple hundred miles.
I’m not sure if this would work for your situation based on how many people are going to be with you in the car, but here is what my wife and I have done a couple of times on the last two road trips this past month: 1) get the street address of the next Supercharger stop 2) Type it into the DoorDash App 3) see what comes up as food options. May even type in the name of one of our go-to restaurants to see if they are nearby the Supercharger station 4) place our order in the DoorDash app - Verify, again, that the SuperCharger street address is correct - timing delivery so that it’s going to delivery about 5 minutes after we begin charging. 5) Meet the DoorDash driver outside my vehicle 6) eat the meal while the car finishes charge.

I’m not sure if this would work for your situation based on how many people are going to be with you in the car, but here is what my wife and I have done a couple of times on the last two road trips this past month: 1) get the street address of the next Supercharger stop 2) Type it into the DoorDash App 3) see what comes up as food options. May even type in the name of one of our go-to restaurants to see if they are nearby the Supercharger station 4) place our order in the DoorDash app - Verify, again, that the SuperCharger street address is correct - timing delivery so that it’s going to delivery about 5 minutes after we begin charging. 5) Meet the DoorDash driver outside my vehicle 6) eat the meal while the car finishes charge.
Interesting....however, that's just a tad too much coordination and risk (food won't be exactly where and when we want it) to make that part of my trip planning / routine. Also, after being in the car for 2-3 hours, I really don't want to sit in the car and eat as well. :)

Interesting....however, that's just a tad too much coordination and risk (food won't be exactly where and when we want it) to make that part of my trip planning / routine. Also, after being in the car for 2-3 hours, I really don't want to sit in the car and eat as well. :)
You don't want to have dinner and a movie? ;)