Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Weeks & 7,000 Miles - Thoughts from a penny pincher (2023 MYLR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People buy cars for different reasons. Cool factor, the environment, the cost, the performance, the utility of the vehicle, etc.

For me personally, I purchased a Tesla for potential savings.

After six weeks and 7,000 miles (including a 3,000 mile road trip) I would like to share my observations for those who may be penny pinchers like me.

In other posts I've described my plan to purchase a 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE and drive it at least 300,000 miles over the next 10 years. At the last moment I switched gears and took a chance on a Tesla because my spreadsheet said I could save money (not a lot, but some) over 10 years with a Tesla. I'll let you know in 10 years if I was right.

1. Looks - I've not been a big fan of the exterior design of the various Tesla Models, but it has grown on me. I purchased the blue MYLR and really like it now. Which I guess is good since I have to look at it for years to come.
2. Performance - I'd driven my relatives Tesla, but honestly I wasn't prepared for the WOW factor to have lasted this long. I read about people who after a few years still are enjoying the Wow factor of the performance of their Tesla. I believe it. Penny Pinching aside, it would be very hard to go back to a Corolla/Camry in regards to performance. I just love driving it.
3. Super Charger Network - I've been very impressed. They seem to be virtually everywhere I need them. There were occasions on my recent 3,000 mile road trip where it was slightly inconvenient, but not bad at all. And in real life, day to day driving, its zero inconvenience.
4. Charging at home - This is a huge saver. This is where the cost savings comes in to play.
5. Range Anxiety - I read a lot before my purchase that virtually everyone has it and that it goes away quickly for virtually everyone. This has been my experience. I had it. I even had one scare. But after a few weeks of watching everything like a hawk, doing math, calculating distances, etc. I rarely look anymore. The trip computer isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. I charge when it says I need to and pretty much can travel where I need to go within the parameters the computer tells me. Its good.
6. Enhanced Auto Pilot - I purchased EAP and really like most of the features. I'm in the camp of people that enjoy the lane change feature. But it's still a brainless computer and it try to have my changes lanes at times and in places that "people" wouldn't. But overall I enjoy all of the "driver assist" features. I use them ALOT.

So, my road trip. We left Wisconsin and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls, then to Boston, NYC, and returned home. Just shy of 3,000 miles. We supercharged the entire trip. I found that it consumed about 15-30 minutes of my day to supercharge on a trip like this. When you can't charge overnight obviously it takes a little more time. But chargers were easy to come by.

Map.png

Cost Analysis - Compared to other vehicles I would have driven if I hadn't taken the Tesla.

Because supercharges aren't nearly as cheap as level 2 charging at home, it actually cost me more to supercharge than it would have for gas in either of my hybrid options. But not by much. For me the pluses of the MYLR are enough to make up the cost difference.

$0.11 cents a mile to drive the Tesla. $0.09 cents a mile for the Camry Hybrid. So it was actually about $60 more expensive to drive the Tesla than the Camry Hybrid would have been.

Actual Cost.png

For comparison sake, if I were to drive the same distance but charge at home every night I would have saved a lot of money in comparison. If I could have charged at home it would have cost me about $0.03 per mile saving me about $150. But on a road trip this wasn't possible.

Level 2 Cost.png

Lifetime stats for the three people out there wondering... Because 50% of my charging has been supercharging it is costing me about $0.07 per mile. Cheaper than my other options, but not by much. I do however expect that to change. I anticipate over the lifetime of the MYLR my supercharging will only be about 20-25% of the total charging.

Lifetime.png

Anyway, there are lots of good reasons to get a Tesla. If there is anyone out there like me that tracks every gas fill up, every oil change, ever car wash, every transmission flush, etc. There isn't nearly as much to track on a Tesla. But still enough to keep my inner nerd happy.

Winter in Wisconsin will be my next adventure. I anticipate it will be just fine. I expect to have to charge a little more. No longer worried.

This is correct. Hybrids (like EVs) get worse "effective" mileage on the highway due to increased wind resistance and lack of regen braking. So to do a true comparison for actual eMPG on an EV, we'd need the "actual highway MPG" on the hybrid (not the EPA stated MPG).

A majority of miles driven in my new '23 Camry hybrid have been highway, it gets 45.X mpg. It will show low 50's on a backroad or city driving.

Our '21 RAV4 hybrid gets 37-40 mpg on the highway, depending on weather conditions.

It is not true that a (Toyota) hybrid isn't a good distance highway/interstate driving vehicle, it's still improved over the ICE only version. For the record, I'm not trying to say that our Toyota hybrids are better or worse than a Tesla, just providing accurate context. I think the OP did the right thing choosing the Model Y over an XSE Camry. We bought our XSE RAV4 a few years ago, but if choosing today I would get the MY. My recently purchased Camry SE was much cheaper than a M3 or MY would have cost, and will by my son's first car. I wasn't going to give him something as fast as a Tesla. :)

• Funny
Reactions: gad1976
Thx for sharing. Here’s my past year numbers in saving. I drive about 20k miles a year 10-15% road trips. Did some math too. If I can get to 300k miles. The car paid for itself. after 10-11 years, my MYP is ”free“

as u can see, I charge only 11% at home. And I do have solar. 12% was SC on road trips. 77% is other. I have free charging at work. :)

View attachment 961019
I have been disappointed that this screen can’t be personalized. For me its useless. The “savings” that it shows are completely false. The problem is the formula it uses isn’t anywhere close to my situation.

The app compares my Tesla Model Y to a car that gets 25 mpg at a price of $4.27 per gallon. That means that the numbers are only accurate in that exact scenerio. For my, living in the Midwest gas has been around $3.50 per gallon and the car I would have been driving (had I not purchased a Tesla) would have gotten around 44 mpg.

It shows that I “saved“ $356, which is true based on their formula. But since I wouldn’t have been driving a car that only got 25 mpg and I’m not paying $4.27 per gallon of gas the truth is I actually “saved” $38 in the month of July for my tesla than i would have for a Camry hybrid. $38 of savings in nice, but it is a far cry from saving $356 as the app claims.

The reason being I did A LOT of super charging on my road trip and I don’t have solar (which would be awesome). Anyway, my point being its annoying that I can’t adjust the formula so that the “savings” actually represented my reality.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 7.07.31 AM.pngOpen Mileage Comp.png

Reactions: yellowr6
I am planning my first "road trip" on my new Model S. Because I'm going with family, I like to "plan" our road stops...this is what I did when I tripped in an ICE vehicle too. Plan to stop every 3ish hours for a break...every other stop (every 6 hours) for a bite to eat.

This is one area where it is still slightly less convenient to charge EVs vs. filling up with gas. With a gas car, I would "find a place where we want to eat"...without regard to where gas stations were. With the EV road trip....it's "find a supercharger where there are also amenities I want". This will limit your choice of amenities if you are really planning to maximize time efficiency.

While I am confident that Tesla's planner would work in terms of getting me there in the most efficient time possible, more advanced planning is needed if you want to pick your chargers that have specific amenities. For example, if I know I will be stopping about 400 miles into the trip for 1 hour to eat, I want to puck a super charger that has a restaurant near by, so I can combine a full hour of charging while eating.

I've found that "A better route planner" fills this gap nicely. I just planned my NJ to Wisconsin round trip, was able to find specific locations and set the time charging there, and have the route planner fill in the rest. "The rest" being the typical 15 minute charging or so stops every couple hundred miles.
And I really like a better route planner as well. The only downside for me as I find it thinks I need to charge more than I actually do. Aside from that I have found it very helpful.

It seemed odd that hybrids get better highway mileage than traditional ICE before I did more research. The reason for some (maybe all) is they use a modified atkinson cycle engine. It's more efficient, but not as powerful. Hybrids get away with this because the electric fills the power gap.

It is not true that a (Toyota) hybrid isn't a good distance highway/interstate driving vehicle, it's still improved over the ICE only version.
Don't get me wrong...I was not trying to imply that a Toyota hybrid isn't a good highway vehicle...only that in order to compare "driving costs" for EVs on a highway to Hybrids on a highway....you need to have actual data for both cases (with similar driving habits: average speed, etc.). 👍 You can't use the manufacturer or EPA "equivalents" or numbers for either vehicle at face value.

Last edited:
I am planning my first "road trip" on my new Model S. Because I'm going with family, I like to "plan" our road stops...this is what I did when I tripped in an ICE vehicle too. Plan to stop every 3ish hours for a break...every other stop (every 6 hours) for a bite to eat.

This is one area where it is still slightly less convenient to charge EVs vs. filling up with gas. With a gas car, I would "find a place where we want to eat"...without regard to where gas stations were. With the EV road trip....it's "find a supercharger where there are also amenities I want". This will limit your choice of amenities if you are really planning to maximize time efficiency.

While I am confident that Tesla's planner would work in terms of getting me there in the most efficient time possible, more advanced planning is needed if you want to pick your chargers that have specific amenities. For example, if I know I will be stopping about 400 miles into the trip for 1 hour to eat, I want to puck a super charger that has a restaurant near by, so I can combine a full hour of charging while eating.

I've found that "A better route planner" fills this gap nicely. I just planned my NJ to Wisconsin round trip, was able to find specific locations and set the time charging there, and have the route planner fill in the rest. "The rest" being the typical 15 minute charging or so stops every couple hundred miles.
This is very true. ESPECIALLY in 2017 when I began road tripping in my S (things were quite sparse). The Supercharger network today is LIGHT YEARS better and more convenient. It will be even more so in the coming years. We are still in early adopter stage/phase. Eventually, there will be charging options everywhere and businesses will want to be by charging options (or provide them), just like businesses want to be near gas stations today.

I've found over several long trips charging every 2-2.5 hours is most efficient FWIW.

Real penny pinchers would have found free charging stations. LINK
My exact thoughts lol.

Thanks for the post OP. As others have said, plugshare and ABRP are key. Real penny pinchers only filter for free chargers! That's what I do anytime I'm somewhere new - a good chance to check out/support the hotels, restaurants, breweries/wineries with free chargers. Do it right and you can top up every night. Nobody's going to give you free gas for a Camry.

> But overall I enjoy all of the "driver assist" features. I use them ALOT.

Mental / energy savings from AP are considerable!!!

Also OP -- you can look into Teslamate (self-hosted) or similar 3P services (tessie, teslascope, etc) that log ALL your driving data, charging data, etc. If you love staring at the data :)

Reactions: fsb1
I have been disappointed that this screen can’t be personalized. For me its useless. The “savings” that it shows are completely false. The problem is the formula it uses isn’t anywhere close to my situation.

The app compares my Tesla Model Y to a car that gets 25 mpg at a price of $4.27 per gallon. That means that the numbers are only accurate in that exact scenerio. For my, living in the Midwest gas has been around $3.50 per gallon and the car I would have been driving (had I not purchased a Tesla) would have gotten around 44 mpg.

It shows that I “saved“ $356, which is true based on their formula. But since I wouldn’t have been driving a car that only got 25 mpg and I’m not paying $4.27 per gallon of gas the truth is I actually “saved” $38 in the month of July for my tesla than i would have for a Camry hybrid. $38 of savings in nice, but it is a far cry from saving $356 as the app claims.

The reason being I did A LOT of super charging on my road trip and I don’t have solar (which would be awesome). Anyway, my point being its annoying that I can’t adjust the formula so that the “savings” actually represented my reality.

View attachment 961072View attachment 961075

I’m in CA where gas is $5 ish gal now. And electricity is $0.40 ish kWh.

I sold my sienna and Tacoma to get the Y. Both was avging 20 ish mpg. lol

I was paying around $500 ish a month in fuel.

Best decision ever going EV and solar ($10k for a 8kw system). I’m in my second year for solar and it’s already paid off. So the remaining 23 years of warranty is free energy. Plus I have free charging and I am showing a $100 ish credit per month from my electricity company bc im producing more than im using. 😃

Anyone taken tire wear into consideration? I know for a fact that Model 3's tires typically wear out ~25% faster/sooner due to heaviness and awesome acceleration. Per Discount Tires a set of 4 OEM 18" tires = $1,200.

I try very hard to drive like an old lady to achieve better efficiency (thus far 235 Wh/mi) and hope that my tires will last as long as an ICE 4-door sedan of comparable size, or about 50,000 miles...hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowr6 and hydro
If you really wanted to penny pinch, a pre-April 2017 used S would be your car. I have a 12/2016 S and it has free for life, transferable Supercharging😅. I hope it runs for at least another decade even though I mostly charge at home!

I just traded my 2018 3 RWD LR for a 2023 Y AWD LR, including the FSD transfer. I’ll take the higher charging costs in exchange for the increased room and HW4.

Just pray it does not break down after warranty. Or get rid of it when it gets old. Just came from another thread where the OP spent $6.5K to replace broken AC system on a 98K miles Model S. Man the whole car is probably only worth $20K+. If the battery needs to be replaced, just throw it to the trash.

I wouldn't say Tesla is a penny pincher car.

Reactions: hydro
They numbers for the Camry hybrid assume it can get 44 mpg. It’s rated for 46 mpg. Don’t known what real world numbers are since I didn’t actually buy it.
It's not a Camry, but I had an 18 Ford Fusion Hybrid that was rated for 42mpg combined. I routinely got 53 combined during the summer months and 48-ish during the winter so 44mpg for the Camry is probably being very conservative.

At the end. The Y check most of my box. U can be efficient and have some fun. A save, family road trip truly daily driver vehicle. And u get all the tech and OTA updates. U can nicpic a few minor thing but overall, i truly feel there’s no other vehicle better in the market RN and especially for the price and incentive. 😁

Just pray it does not break down after warranty. Or get rid of it when it gets old. Just came from another thread where the OP spent $6.5K to replace broken AC system on a 98K miles Model S. Man the whole car is probably only worth $20K+. If the battery needs to be replaced, just throw it to the trash.

I wouldn't say Tesla is a penny pincher car.
No prayer needed for a while. Normally, I don’t buy extended warranties but did buy an extra 4 years from Tesla on my Model S due to concerns similar to yours. I still have 18 months left and will decide then whether to gamble.

People buy cars for different reasons. Cool factor, the environment, the cost, the performance, the utility of the vehicle, etc.

For me personally, I purchased a Tesla for potential savings.
If you really want to dive into the costs, I'd suggest you factor in tires and insurance. I spend far more on tires than I do energy for my Teslas. I've also found Teslas cost substantially more to insure than my similar ICE cars.

As you've already seen, supercharger costs really impact the cost per mile. On a recent trip, it was far cheaper to feed a 2023 Prius than a Model Y in Los Angeles. TBH, the driver's aids were better in some ways than Tesla's.

Reactions: yellowr6
And I really like a better route planner as well. The only downside for me as I find it thinks I need to charge more than I actually do. Aside from that I have found it very helpful.
ABRP is a great tool. I've used it for years but Tesla has also gotten better. I think a really big plus for ABRP is I can set the lowest charge level I want to go to as well as my destination charge level. Those are 2 very handy settings. I also pay to have real-time data synchronization with my car.

It will also be more creative with routing and SC stops than Tesla. It is also good for playing "what if" scenarios for your route planning and you can also setup different variations like towing, roof rack, heavier load and use those to plan. That has saved me once from not making it to an SC that Tesla said I would have made.

@gad1976 - fantastic post, I really appreciate the detail & factual data you provided. I recently had a trip in Houston (I live in MN) & "Turo'd" a Tesla that didn't have the mobile-connector with it. Like you I found that the cost of relying on super-charging significantly raised the price of driving vs. if one was on a L2 charger at home.

Ultimately, I would still take the Tesla just for the fun factor, technology, and sound system if supercharging was still my only option. Cheers!

P.S. - Love that you have a 99' Suburban on there, I always loved that generation and the one that came following.

• Funny