Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Weeks & 7,000 Miles - Thoughts from a penny pincher (2023 MYLR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People buy cars for different reasons. Cool factor, the environment, the cost, the performance, the utility of the vehicle, etc.

For me personally, I purchased a Tesla for potential savings.

After six weeks and 7,000 miles (including a 3,000 mile road trip) I would like to share my observations for those who may be penny pinchers like me.

In other posts I've described my plan to purchase a 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE and drive it at least 300,000 miles over the next 10 years. At the last moment I switched gears and took a chance on a Tesla because my spreadsheet said I could save money (not a lot, but some) over 10 years with a Tesla. I'll let you know in 10 years if I was right.

1. Looks - I've not been a big fan of the exterior design of the various Tesla Models, but it has grown on me. I purchased the blue MYLR and really like it now. Which I guess is good since I have to look at it for years to come.
2. Performance - I'd driven my relatives Tesla, but honestly I wasn't prepared for the WOW factor to have lasted this long. I read about people who after a few years still are enjoying the Wow factor of the performance of their Tesla. I believe it. Penny Pinching aside, it would be very hard to go back to a Corolla/Camry in regards to performance. I just love driving it.
3. Super Charger Network - I've been very impressed. They seem to be virtually everywhere I need them. There were occasions on my recent 3,000 mile road trip where it was slightly inconvenient, but not bad at all. And in real life, day to day driving, its zero inconvenience.
4. Charging at home - This is a huge saver. This is where the cost savings comes in to play.
5. Range Anxiety - I read a lot before my purchase that virtually everyone has it and that it goes away quickly for virtually everyone. This has been my experience. I had it. I even had one scare. But after a few weeks of watching everything like a hawk, doing math, calculating distances, etc. I rarely look anymore. The trip computer isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. I charge when it says I need to and pretty much can travel where I need to go within the parameters the computer tells me. Its good.
6. Enhanced Auto Pilot - I purchased EAP and really like most of the features. I'm in the camp of people that enjoy the lane change feature. But it's still a brainless computer and it try to have my changes lanes at times and in places that "people" wouldn't. But overall I enjoy all of the "driver assist" features. I use them ALOT.

So, my road trip. We left Wisconsin and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls, then to Boston, NYC, and returned home. Just shy of 3,000 miles. We supercharged the entire trip. I found that it consumed about 15-30 minutes of my day to supercharge on a trip like this. When you can't charge overnight obviously it takes a little more time. But chargers were easy to come by.

Map.png

Cost Analysis - Compared to other vehicles I would have driven if I hadn't taken the Tesla.

Because supercharges aren't nearly as cheap as level 2 charging at home, it actually cost me more to supercharge than it would have for gas in either of my hybrid options. But not by much. For me the pluses of the MYLR are enough to make up the cost difference.

$0.11 cents a mile to drive the Tesla. $0.09 cents a mile for the Camry Hybrid. So it was actually about $60 more expensive to drive the Tesla than the Camry Hybrid would have been.

Actual Cost.png

For comparison sake, if I were to drive the same distance but charge at home every night I would have saved a lot of money in comparison. If I could have charged at home it would have cost me about $0.03 per mile saving me about $150. But on a road trip this wasn't possible.

Level 2 Cost.png

Lifetime stats for the three people out there wondering... Because 50% of my charging has been supercharging it is costing me about $0.07 per mile. Cheaper than my other options, but not by much. I do however expect that to change. I anticipate over the lifetime of the MYLR my supercharging will only be about 20-25% of the total charging.

Lifetime.png

Anyway, there are lots of good reasons to get a Tesla. If there is anyone out there like me that tracks every gas fill up, every oil change, ever car wash, every transmission flush, etc. There isn't nearly as much to track on a Tesla. But still enough to keep my inner nerd happy.

Winter in Wisconsin will be my next adventure. I anticipate it will be just fine. I expect to have to charge a little more. No longer worried.

This is a really cool post and I appreciate your impressive level of detail.

For cost, you may want to update your spreadsheet for the ICE vehicles to include the cost of oil changes (for some cars this is $150+ these days) and brakes (Tesla brakes last A LOT longer than ICE brakes).
Thanks. My wife said I couldn't spend all day making spreadsheets so needed to go outside and play. So I focused only of "fuel" costs in this post. I have attempted in a previous post to predict the 10 year (300,000 mile) cost of ownership of my MYLR vs the Camry I didn't buy. I'm gonna track it over the lifetime of the car. We'll see what happens. Bottom line is that I'm happy with the Tesla, even if it doesn't end up being cheaper. Time for me to go out and play, my wife is calling. :)

People buy cars for different reasons. Cool factor, the environment, the cost, the performance, the utility of the vehicle, etc.

After six weeks and 7,000 miles (including a 3,000 mile road trip) I would like to share my observations for those who may be penny pinchers like me.

In other posts I've described my plan to purchase a 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE and drive it at least 300,000 miles over the next 10 years. At the last moment I switched gears and took a chance on a Tesla because my spreadsheet said I could save money (not a lot, but some) over 10 years with a Tesla. I'll let you know in 10 years if I was right.

1. Looks - I've not been a big fan of the exterior design of the various Tesla Models, but it has grown on me. I purchased the blue MYLR and really like it now. Which I guess is good since I have to look at it for years to come.
2. Performance - I'd driven my relatives Tesla, but honestly I wasn't prepared for the WOW factor to have lasted this long. I read about people who after a few years still are enjoying the Wow factor of the performance of their Tesla. I believe it. Penny Pinching aside, it would be very hard to go back to a Corolla/Camry in regards to performance. I just love driving it.
3. Super Charger Network - I've been very impressed. They seem to be virtually everywhere I need them. There were occasions on my recent 3,000 mile road trip where it was slightly inconvenient, but not bad at all. And in real life, day to day driving, its zero inconvenience.
4. Charging at home - This is a huge saver. This is where the cost savings comes in to play.
5. Range Anxiety - I read a lot before my purchase that virtually everyone has it and that it goes away quickly for virtually everyone. This has been my experience. I had it. I even had one scare. But after a few weeks of watching everything like a hawk, doing math, calculating distances, etc. I rarely look anymore. The trip computer isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. I charge when it says I need to and pretty much can travel where I need to go within the parameters the computer tells me. Its good.
6. Enhanced Auto Pilot - I purchased EAP and really like most of the features. I'm in the camp of people that enjoy the lane change feature. But it's still a brainless computer and it try to have my changes lanes at times and in places that "people" wouldn't. But overall I enjoy all of the "driver assist" features. I use them ALOT.

So, my road trip. We left Wisconsin and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls, then to Boston, NYC, and returned home. Just shy of 3,000 miles. We supercharged the entire trip. I found that it consumed about 15-30 minutes of my day to supercharge on a trip like this. When you can't charge overnight obviously it takes a little more time. But chargers were easy to come by.

View attachment 960601

Cost Analysis - Compared to other vehicles I would have driven if I hadn't taken the Tesla.

Because supercharges aren't nearly as cheap as level 2 charging at home, it actually cost me more to supercharge than it would have for gas in either of my hybrid options. But not by much. For me the pluses of the MYLR are enough to make up the cost difference.

$0.11 cents a mile to drive the Tesla. $0.09 cents a mile for the Camry Hybrid. So it was actually about $60 more expensive to drive the Tesla than the Camry Hybrid would have been.

View attachment 960602

For comparison sake, if I were to drive the same distance but charge at home every night I would have saved a lot of money in comparison. If I could have charged at home it would have cost me about $0.03 per mile saving me about $150. But on a road trip this wasn't possible.

View attachment 960605

Lifetime stats for the three people out there wondering... Because 50% of my charging has been supercharging it is costing me about $0.07 per mile. Cheaper than my other options, but not by much. I do however expect that to change. I anticipate over the lifetime of the MYLR my supercharging will only be about 20-25% of the total charging.

View attachment 960606

Anyway, there are lots of good reasons to get a Tesla. If there is anyone out there like me that tracks every gas fill up, every oil change, ever car wash, every transmission flush, etc. There isn't nearly as much to track on a Tesla. But still enough to keep my inner nerd happy.

Winter in Wisconsin will be my next adventure. I anticipate it will be just fine. I expect to have to charge a little more. No longer worried.
Great write-up. I’m honestly surprised your Camry Hybrid is so cheap to drive per mile compared to the MY. Here in CA, my Model Y is much cheaper per mile than my old Prius but that may be because our gas prices are (were? It’s been a while since I bought gas.) so pricey.

Great write-up. I’m honestly surprised your Camry Hybrid is so cheap to drive per mile compared to the MY. Here in CA, my Model Y is much cheaper per mile than my old Prius but that may be because our gas prices are (were? It’s been a while since I bought gas.) so pricey.
They numbers for the Camry hybrid assume it can get 44 mpg. It’s rated for 46 mpg. Don’t known what real world numbers are since I didn’t actually buy it.

Reactions: El joe
More extreme penny pinchers would have also settled the the even lower purchase price and running costs of a Model 3 RWD.

Glad OP is enjoying his Y. Hybrids and low end economy vehicles can suck the joy out of road trips, even for penny pinchers :)
Actually, if I knew then, what I know now, I probably would have a model 3, RWD. I’m very happy with my dual motor long range model Y. But as you likely know, driving an EV, you think differently. I’m not sure that my long range model Y does any better getting from charge to charge in the model 3 RWD would do. Because, as I’ve discovered, you really drive from charge to charge. For me, I seldom need the ability to go more than about 120 miles on a charge. I’m glad I didn’t know this when I was purchasing because I really enjoy the model Y. But I agree, I probably would’ve ended up with the model 3 RWD had a known then what I know now.

As I type, I change my mind again. The model 3RWD would require me to stop more superchargers given my usage for work. So this would raise my cost. For me personally, I think the dual motor long range option was the best. 🫣

Reactions: tradosaurus
This penny pincher went with the M3 RWD stock white exterior color. My big splurge was the white interior and tinted windows due to the heat in the summer. My car is not garaged and I commute 70 miles round trip for work with the sun beating down on my driver side window to and from work. I don’t plan to splurge on any automated features either. But hey, the lotto is over $1B now 😙 so there is a chance…

Reactions: Rockstop
I'd be curious to know what you think about the cost effectiveness of the products from EVinsulate. They claim that by insulating the battery and the roof, you can cut your wintertime range loss in half.

Thanks for sharing. I just bought a hybrid Camry on June 2nd and already have 3800 miles on it. It was a long term penny pincher purchase, which is why I backed out of getting an XSE at the last minute. To answer your question, I’ve been averaging 45mpg. I got the Camry for under $30k, so no regrets, but I have been pining for a Tesla for quite a while.

I have both a 2020 MY AWD and a 2022 M3 RWD (LFP battery). Regardless of what the specs say, they can both go the same distance when charged to 100%. (Within 10 miles for sure.)

The difference is my M3 gets charged to 100% regularly and my MY charges to 80% to preserve my NCA battery.

I do strongly prefer the MY for daily driving and trips. The front gets a much higher seating position, the rear seat has way more legroom (feet easily fit under the MY front seats), more storage, and faster.

Thx for sharing. Here’s my past year numbers in saving. I drive about 20k miles a year 10-15% road trips. Did some math too. If I can get to 300k miles. The car paid for itself. after 10-11 years, my MYP is ”free“

as u can see, I charge only 11% at home. And I do have solar. 12% was SC on road trips. 77% is other. I have free charging at work. :)

IMG_4976.png

Reactions: ScubaDee

View attachment 960601

View attachment 960602

View attachment 960605

View attachment 960606

In theory wouldn’t the Camry get less miles on the hybrid on long distances. The hybrid is very efficient on city driving which inflates mileage but on long hauls it’s just like having a gasoline car. So use of superchargers vs gas mileage on long hauls would favor the supercharger.

In theory wouldn’t the Camry get less miles on the hybrid on long distances. The hybrid is very efficient on city driving which inflates mileage but on long hauls it’s just like having a gasoline car. So use of superchargers vs gas mileage on long hauls would favor the supercharger.
This is correct. Hybrids (like EVs) get worse "effective" mileage on the highway due to increased wind resistance and lack of regen braking. So to do a true comparison for actual eMPG on an EV, we'd need the "actual highway MPG" on the hybrid (not the EPA stated MPG).

Reactions: cusetownusa
The numbers in my post for the 2023 Camry Hybrid are indeed a guess. It claims 46 for the XSE model, but I only calculated at MPG. That said, the numbers for the Prius are real world. I get 40 MPG real world in my 2009 Prius. For what it’s worth. I believe earlier someone posts their real world numbers for a Camry Hybrid and they claimed real world similar to my guess.

I am planning my first "road trip" on my new Model S. Because I'm going with family, I like to "plan" our road stops...this is what I did when I tripped in an ICE vehicle too. Plan to stop every 3ish hours for a break...every other stop (every 6 hours) for a bite to eat.

This is one area where it is still slightly less convenient to charge EVs vs. filling up with gas. With a gas car, I would "find a place where we want to eat"...without regard to where gas stations were. With the EV road trip....it's "find a supercharger where there are also amenities I want". This will limit your choice of amenities if you are really planning to maximize time efficiency.

While I am confident that Tesla's planner would work in terms of getting me there in the most efficient time possible, more advanced planning is needed if you want to pick your chargers that have specific amenities. For example, if I know I will be stopping about 400 miles into the trip for 1 hour to eat, I want to puck a super charger that has a restaurant near by, so I can combine a full hour of charging while eating.

I've found that "A better route planner" fills this gap nicely. I just planned my NJ to Wisconsin round trip, was able to find specific locations and set the time charging there, and have the route planner fill in the rest. "The rest" being the typical 15 minute charging or so stops every couple hundred miles.