Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 mph; excellent road markings and AP2 tried to throw the car at the median

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use AP only when I want to take a drink of water or something - just for a few seconds. I loved it right up through 17.17.4 but since then it will meander off for a number of reasons, like tar lines. It's just not worth the effort to monitor what the car is doing and the road conditions to make sure it's likely to be okay and do all the stuff I have to do when driving. So I just drive it myself. And it's weird because I will occasionally get the lane departure vibration and look and sure enough it think some line in the road is the lane line. I can only assume it would have followed that "lane line."

It is unsafe to use imo even with hands on the wheel because it will so assertively steer the car in a different direction. So it isn't just that it'll go straight when it should turn, but instead at any given time it is liable to steer you out of the lane and you have to actively defend against that maneuver. It's truly just not safe.

I too had the AP act strange lately on my 2015 S. on a well marked road, it suddenly crossed over a clear solid line on the right- I took over, but I wonder how far it would have gone if I hadn't taken control?? I installed a dash cam last year for exactly this reason, but up to this point since almost a full year, it had been driving fine???

As a Model 3 reservation holder, and even though I'm a "gotta have it if I can" sort of guy, I'm really thinking it may be a good idea to simply wait on EAP.

And I'm really wondering (betting?) that if down the line the software doesn't progress as far or as fast as Tesla wanted that the price will drop (or possibly EAP will be offered for free for 6 months) to A) try to entice people to add it and B) to vastly increase the data that would come from all of us extra Model 3 users that can help improve everything overall.

AP works extremely well, so well it makes a driver overly confident. Now of course I have AP1 but taking my hands off the wheel does not terrify me. But, a big BUT is knowing the system and when/where not to use it. Some high publicity accidents were people too willing to give over control.
I assume anyone with a Tesla and uses AP has been in situations where they had to take over. Hopefully before a quick grab at the wheel to avoid it trying to run thru a wall :)

So guys.. for us model 3 reservation holders... what's your opinion on EAP.. should we get it?

Yes you should. Even with all of it's shortcomings there is nothing like kicking back on a long road trip, keeping your hand on the wheel at all times of course, and just letting your Tesla drive for you. The beauty of the AP system is it that it takes care of the nuances of driving for you. No longer do you have to pay very close attention to your speed, or your foot position and pressure, or keeping within the lanes. It's a game changer for sure, but still needs lots of work.

Yes you should. Even with all of it's shortcomings there is nothing like kicking back on a long road trip, keeping your hand on the wheel at all times of course, and just letting your Tesla drive for you. The beauty of the AP system is it that it takes care of the nuances of driving for you. No longer do you have to pay very close attention to your speed, or your foot position and pressure, or keeping within the lanes. It's a game changer for sure, but still needs lots of work.
Except you do have to pay very close attention.

IMG_7929.JPG

That’s just it — no one is writing an “algorithm.”

Over dependence on machine learning can lead to idiotic behavior like this when the training set is insufficient or processing speed requires that it be excessively culled.

I’ve said this thing needs a hand-coded nanny to filter out stupid nonsense moves (eg swerving left/right in ways roads never do) but then that would negatively impact the ML data gathering....

It has been stated on the Autonomous Vehicles sub-forum, from code review or such I believe, that AP2 does not use neural net (aka learning) for driving, only for image recognition. So it isn't strictly true there is no algorithm, indeed the "silky smooth" was merely an algorithm update it seems, the neural network remained the same as old.

Pinging @verygreen @lunitiks if they want to elaborate/correct.

Except you do have to pay very close attention.

View attachment 245906

You need to get your cameras checked. When I test drove AP2 for over 200 miles I didn't see anything but dead center driving, even on curves at 75 mph. In fact I could hardly tell the difference between AP1 that I own and the AP2 that I test drove, except a few situations.

I finally drove 17.32.6 xxxxxx on local and highway. On a local street, it lunged into a curb (damaging a rim and tire), and on a perfectly marked new construction highway in ideal conditions, it lunged into a bridge wall even though it showed its position to be far right in the lane on the display ahead of the lunge. I have stopped using AP except for stop and go completely; it is simply too dangerous even with maximum paranoia ("drive as if you have a two-year-old sitting on your lap driving" :/ ).

This release continues the decline for every update since 17.4, and I'm really growing weary. I guess our only hope is when M3 owners revolt since that's obviously the only thing Tesla cares about (which I understand from a business point of view. actually).

AP looks like a total loss, and I just wish they would write it off and start from scratch (probably based on something purchased). I am beginning to think that AP and auto-wipers may not actually ever work on AP2 and they will just move on and settle the class action lawsuits.

You need to get your cameras checked. When I test drove AP2 for over 200 miles I didn't see anything but dead center driving, even on curves at 75 mph. In fact I could hardly tell the difference between AP1 that I own and the AP2 that I test drove, except a few situations.
I think I'll go with my 10k+ experience with AP2 and the experiences of too many other AP2 owners over your incessant assertions that AP2 is at AP1 parity because you took a little trip. Thanks.

I finally drove 17.32.6 xxxxxx on local and highway. On a local street, it lunged into a curb (damaging a rim and tire), and on a perfectly marked new construction highway in ideal conditions, it lunged into a bridge wall even though it showed its position to be far right in the lane on the display ahead of the lunge. I have stopped using AP except for stop and go completely; it is simply too dangerous even with maximum paranoia ("drive as if you have a two-year-old sitting on your lap driving" :/ ).

This release continues the decline for every update since 17.4, and I'm really growing weary. I guess our only hope is when M3 owners revolt since that's obviously the only thing Tesla cares about (which I understand from a business point of view. actually).

AP looks like a total loss, and I just wish they would write it off and start from scratch (probably based on something purchased). I am beginning to think that AP and auto-wipers may not actually ever work on AP2 and they will just move on and settle the class action lawsuits.
The firmware changes are not really updates, except when a new feature is included.

They are for the most part attempted repairs to poorly written code. They shipped a broken product and they cannot get it fixed.

• Disagree
Reactions: conman

I won't say that camera alignment absolutely can't cause this behavior; however, the characteristic of a misaligned sensor(s) would tend to create conditions where the car was not where it THOUGHT the localization put it. As you can see, the car fully-well knows it is hugging (or exceeding) the lane marker line, and seems perfectly content to sit there even for long periods of time. Even that's not the worst problem. The worst problems are the instability of lane position holding ("drunk driving") and the tendency to just lurch out of bounds on local and highway situations, even for well-marked roads.

Severe misalignment of sensors would likely cause faults that would drop out AP and trigger error events that get sent to Tesla.

My assessment is that AP2 is simply not robust and it looks like a patched up, hacked-together attempt to solve lane-keeping without a solid architectural underpinning. If it were my team, I would tell them to throw it out and start over, and that's probably what got the last three heads of AP fired. In the current drought of releases with improvement, we can only hope this is because they have started over from scratch so that we might see something that works by 2018. But I do fear it is possible that AP2 will never work safely and effectively with this HW.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
Twice, since the latest update, the MS 90D has steered back into the lane after I turned on the turn indicator to change lanes on the freeway. I was half in the old lane and half in the new lane when this occurred. No vehicles were in the right lane. This has never happened before.

On the positive side, the vehicle lurched forward after a full stop with AP2. The reason, a vehicle behind me got too close and the rear sensors took notice. Since there is more empty space in front with recent versions, this extra empty space now makes sense. It allows some escape room if someone gets too close.

Last edited:
Tesla is having to develop their own image processing software to function in place of Mobileye hardware and it appears to be proving more difficult than they thought.

I can easily imagine Elon insisting that the new Tesla hardware/software must leapfrog the capabilities of Mobileye and all with a single camera, BEFORE they start using the additional sensors.

One of those build-me-an-army-worthy-of-Mordor "requests". ;)

Twice, since the latest update, the MS 90D has steered back into the lane after I turned on the turn indicator to change lanes on the freeway. I was half in the old lane and half in the new lane when this occurred. No vehicles were in the right lane. This has never happened before.

On the positive side, the vehicle lurched forward after a full stop with AP2. The reason, a vehicle behind me got too close and the rear sensors took notice. Since there is more empty space in front with recent versions, this extra empty space now makes sense. It allows some escape room if someone gets too close.

Had this a few times too. I think it happens if you cancel the indicator before the car is fully in the lane.

AP2 rules seem to be very rigid with anything involving lane changes. For example, a car moving into your lane is not considered by TACC until it has fully crossed the lane marking. Makes for interesting situations when people cut in and brake in front of you. It also does not try to overtake a car that has moved out of your lane until that car has completely moved out.

The firmware changes are not really updates, except when a new feature is included.

They are for the most part attempted repairs to poorly written code. They shipped a broken product and they cannot get it fixed.
@conman What I said seems pretty uncontroversial. Perhaps you can tell me with what you disagree:

AP2 was shipped (fact) and Tesla has been trying to get it right ever since launch (fact). On occasion a new feature is added (fact), but most updates have included only fixes (fact). AP2 isn't at AP1 parity (fact) nor complete (fact).

• Love
Reactions: oktane
I won't say that camera alignment absolutely can't cause this behavior; however, the characteristic of a misaligned sensor(s) would tend to create conditions where the car was not where it THOUGHT the localization put it. As you can see, the car fully-well knows it is hugging (or exceeding) the lane marker line, and seems perfectly content to sit there even for long periods of time. Even that's not the worst problem. The worst problems are the instability of lane position holding ("drunk driving") and the tendency to just lurch out of bounds on local and highway situations, even for well-marked roads.

Severe misalignment of sensors would likely cause faults that would drop out AP and trigger error events that get sent to Tesla.

My assessment is that AP2 is simply not robust and it looks like a patched up, hacked-together attempt to solve lane-keeping without a solid architectural underpinning. If it were my team, I would tell them to throw it out and start over, and that's probably what got the last three heads of AP fired. In the current drought of releases with improvement, we can only hope this is because they have started over from scratch so that we might see something that works by 2018. But I do fear it is possible that AP2 will never work safely and effectively with this HW.
Yeah, I've got pictures of my X riding the right side of the lane, too.

FullSizeRender 7-1-1.jpg

I find it interesting to watch the lane lines in the IC come on and off during regular driving. It makes pretty clear just how unsure the system is and helps explain why AS is so unreliable. It is regularly trying to fill gaps in its own certainty.

Yeah, I've got pictures of my X riding the right side of the lane, too.

I find it interesting to watch the lane lines in the IC come on and off during regular driving. It makes pretty clear just how unsure the system is and helps explain why AS is so unreliable. It is regularly trying to fill gaps in its own certainty.

Hmm, that's interesting. I constantly use AP on our nearby highways. One of them, the Northern State Parkway near me is always curvy and I've never encounter such ride-on-the-lane problem, regardless on in-traffic or 70-80mph when there are no traffic. On the other highway, Long Island Expressway, it has heavy traffic 99% of the time and I use AP on it 100% of the time and it also always stay in the middle of the lane perfectly.

Hmm, that's interesting. I constantly use AP on our nearby highways. One of them, the Northern State Parkway near me is always curvy and I've never encounter such ride-on-the-lane problem, regardless on in-traffic or 70-80mph when there are no traffic. On the other highway, Long Island Expressway, it has heavy traffic 99% of the time and I use AP on it 100% of the time and it also always stay in the middle of the lane perfectly.
Ok. I don't think anyone has ever said that no-one has a good experience with EAP. But if you read much, you'll see that a lot of people have concerning experiences. I hope you don't put too much trust in yours. Honestly. I don't want to read that someone has been killed with it on.

• Love
Reactions: oktane