Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 mph; excellent road markings and AP2 tried to throw the car at the median

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@conman What I said seems pretty uncontroversial. Perhaps you can tell me with what you disagree:

AP2 was shipped (fact) and Tesla has been trying to get it right ever since launch (fact). On occasion a new feature is added (fact), but most updates have included only fixes (fact). AP2 isn't at AP1 parity (fact) nor complete (fact).
"They shipped a broken product and can not get it fixed." I see continual improvement with each release.

"They shipped a broken product and can not get it fixed."
So it's not because it's broken that EAP hasn't been validated and rolled out? Are you this upset over semantics? Otherwise I can't understand what you find disagreeable.

For example: I just got an update that consists of improvements and fixes, yet it still doesn't do everything AP1 does nor does it have any enhanced features. Another user reports his car going into other lanes over hills. Is this something that needs to be "fixed"?

Please explain what I'm missing here. I'm happy to say "not working", "non-functioning", "inoperative", etc., if that helps.

• Love
Reactions: oktane
So it's not because it's broken that EAP hasn't been validated and rolled out? Are you this upset over semantics? Otherwise I can't understand what you find disagreeable.

For example: I just got an update that consists of improvements and fixes, yet it still doesn't do everything AP1 does nor does it have any enhanced features. Another user reports his car going into other lanes over hills. Is this something that needs to be "fixed"?

Please explain what I'm missing here. I'm happy to say "not working", "non-functioning", "inoperative", etc., if that helps.
It looks like you place too much value on one disagree tag. I simply disagree with your last comment because people seem obsessed with making it look like this is the end of the road for development and there will never be any further improvement with EAP. I'm sick of reading that and comments like yours are the most exaggerated form of it. I wasn't denying any of your other points but looking at EAP's progress in isolation versus compared to your comparison with AP1 hardware the picture looks completely different. And no, I'm still not denying it hasn't reached AP1 parity, but to give it up as a lost cause is ridiculous.

It looks like you place too much value on one disagree tag. I simply disagree with your last comment because people seem obsessed with making it look like this is the end of the road for development and there will never be any further improvement with EAP. I'm sick of reading that and comments like yours are the most exaggerated form of it. I wasn't denying any of your other points but looking at EAP's progress in isolation versus compared to your comparison with AP1 hardware the picture looks completely different. And no, I'm still not denying it hasn't reached AP1 parity, but to give it up as a lost cause is ridiculous.
I'm sick of incessant apologists who think that my money should go to the nascent development of software that was sold to me as nearly complete and "adding to AP1" in December 2016. I'm sick of apologists who think that the danger that EAP has put my family in with its inconsistent reactions to repeat environments should be shrugged off out of concern for stock prices, good feelings, and "I know that they are nice people who are trying hard" bull pocky.

And anyway, that you don't like to read that people think that EAP is a joke doesn't make it any less true that it is incomplete and in need of fixing. Which is what I said.

You couldn't resist slipping that in..
Hey man, I don't own any stock. I am worried about my warranty and the superchargers if Elon cashes out and Tesla collapses. My stake in the company is in my driveway and carries my children around.

Are you a stockholder?

I'm not making things up about my experiences. I do note the great lack of concern for my family from the people who are just so sick of reading complaints.

Oh it's just riding the lane line, I'll snap a pic for my service guy...
IMG_7919.JPG

and then OH CRAP IT IS TAKING US INTO THE BARRIER
IMG_7920.JPG

And just to show it doesn't really care about my complaints either -- here is a pic of the last time my wife let me put on AP with her in the car.

IMG_7929.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NerdUno and xborg
I'm confused: I must have missed where EAP moved beyond the BETA release. You know, the BETA disclosure we had to acknowledge before activating AP?

Has there been a communication from Tesla stating AP has been released in a mature enough state that it's no longer BETA?
Such flippancy with regard to the safety of others. Charming.

The EAP software requires, uh, insane/ludicrous vigilance. Its decisions can be so unpredictable that it is entirely conceivable that an alert, attentive driver will still get hurt. Our human ability is a limit to the Beta waiver. "Beta" isn't a magic word that absolves all liability. And it is fairly arguable that Tesla's software doesn't qualify as beta anyway.

People > $$, imho. YMMV.

There is a short section that my AP1 car passed through flawlessly everyday that my AP2 car has stumbled on since day one. No learning or improvement of any kind. It’s an almost straight stretch too. I am a little leary ofnit and usually disengage and re-engage when passing through it. Today I was making a video clip for someone who swears AP2 reads speed limit signs, another story altogether smh, and decided to grab this section of road.

It’s I85N in the north Atlanta suburbs in the PeachPass lane just past the 316 exit. Extremely well marked road almost straight and nothing crazy. My car however goes crazy every time.

• Love
Reactions: NerdUno
Such flippancy with regard to the safety of others. Charming.

The EAP software requires, uh, insane/ludicrous vigilance. Its decisions can be so unpredictable that it is entirely conceivable that an alert, attentive driver will still get hurt. Our human ability is a limit to the Beta waiver. "Beta" isn't a magic word that absolves all liability. And it is fairly arguable that Tesla's software doesn't qualify as beta anyway.

People > $$, imho. YMMV.

It wasn't flippant at all. It was a statement of fact. Sorry if it came across that way.

If I had children I was transporting, and I used a feature that I deemed so unreliable that certain injury, or worse, was a concern, I wouldn't use said feature. But that's just me.

While I hear your frustration and share your feelings, to a certain degree, it's not clear to me what you want your fellow owners gathered here to do for you. I think it would perhaps help you to share your concerns with the correct audience.

In the meantime, were I you, I'd not use AP until Tesla checks your car out. Very few posted your results WRT riding lane lines on such a consistent manner.

Since you are here, and no one here can help get your car checked and/or fixed, the only advice anyone here can offer is, call your service center and get your checked.

With respect, Joe

• Disagree
Reactions: NerdUno and jjh1234
Has there been a communication from Tesla...?

Aside from a few ambiguous tweets, Tesla isn't communicating to us at all. Elon Musk seems to have turned his attention to new endeavors, and doesn't seem to care about getting the old ones right. If there's a full time forceful executive running the car company I don't know his name, and I should. And perhaps the lawyers have told the company to say nothing about the current and future state of AP2 lest they provide more material for the current class action lawsuit, or trigger others.

So, we're left to squabble amongst ourselves in a (let's face It) obscure forum. Tesla needs to sell a lot of Model Threes, and that won't happen if the word gets out about how unhappy and disillusioned some MS owners are.

There is a short section that my AP1 car passed through flawlessly everyday that my AP2 car has stumbled on since day one. No learning or improvement of any kind. It’s an almost straight stretch too. I am a little leary ofnit and usually disengage and re-engage when passing through it. Today I was making a video clip for someone who swears AP2 reads speed limit signs, another story altogether smh, and decided to grab this section of road.

It’s I85N in the north Atlanta suburbs in the PeachPass lane just past the 316 exit. Extremely well marked road almost straight and nothing crazy. My car however goes crazy every time.

Wtf? Yeah that's disappointing. I'm developing some kind of anxiety where my constant fear is someone will pull out in front of my AP1 car and it's totaled. It's kinda irreplaceable at this point (with new).

On the up side, I really only need the AP1 capability for the next 2 years, and after that AP1 cars may be selling for a healthy premium in the used market if no clever hackers figure out how to graft the Mobileye path planning unit onto newer cars. :)

• Love
Reactions: NerdUno
Care to quantify that in a percentage? Sounds as if you speak for all Tesla owners :rolleyes:

Here, I'll get it started for you:

0.0000x%
He plainly said "some". There are "some" in this thread.

Anyway, in this thread it seems the focus is on situations in which EAP fails so that we can track these issues and their -- hopefully -- eventual repair.

Please don't continue trying to turn this into a thread about the posters themselves or fill it with claims that sometimes EAP works well. Neither is relevant. Easiest way to avoid allergic reactions is to stay away from your allergens.