Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 vs 85: initial burst, 0-50 or so - how different does it feel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order yesterday for a 60 kWh model, having decided not to stretch for the 85 kWh and instead get the leather interior, pano and tech. My commute's only 30 miles and I'll be keeping my current ICE vehicle (an F-150...), so I'm not concerned about range.

The store had only P85+ models for test driving. I was absolutely blown away by how fun it was to drive, particularly that burst from zero to 50mph or so. Compared to driving my current behemoth, it felt like a shuttle launch. :biggrin:

The PS assured me that unless I drove them back-to-back, I wouldn't really be able to tell a difference in that feeling of acceleration between the P85+ and the standard 60. Is that true?

I like cars, but I'm not very knowledgable or in tune to performance (I couldn't tell you what more torque means in terms of feel, I don't care about sticking to the road, cornering, and all that) - I just want to make sure that jumping onto the freeway in my 60 will just as much fun.

I haven't driven the 60 but have the P85 and have driven the 85kWh. You definitely can tell the difference but only when you floor it. If you aren't the kind of person who likes quick acceleration you probably won't notice the difference. The 85 kWh version includes Supercharger access if that is important to you.

I'm not a particularly aggressive driver, but I could not tell the difference between the 85 and the P85 on several test drives I took (both in Toronto and California) before ordering. I'm sure side-by-side there is a difference, but in my mind, it's small. I ordered the 85 and it is more than plenty fast. I have not driven a 60.

Don't we have a chart somewhere that overlays the 0-60 (which includes 0-50) curves of the 60, 85, and P85? There should definitely be a humanly detectable difference when driving the vehicles back-to-back in similar conditions, so I don't agree with the phrasing of the "PS" here. That said, I don't think it's a difference that matters for normal, legal driving unless you're a lead foot at least some of the time.

Not sure about the 60 to the 85... but you can really tell the difference from the 85 to the P85 - from 0 to 30 or so. Once the 85 is in motion, then it feels nearly like the P85. The 0-60 jump between the 60 and 85 is less of a stretch, then the 85 to P85.

While I've never owned a performance car more than an RX-7 (not even in the same league here), every now and then I think it would be nice to have the P edition... just for the competitive side in me... to know I could "own" most any car I pull up next to - at least 0-80+. Where with my 85, I'm less sure of where I'd stand. But that being said, this really isn't in my nature either (yet). ;)

I'd rather let the guys with the P's to set and hold the Model S performance chatter/image on the streets. Let them guess about me. (Sorry got OT there for a bit)

The 60kWh car is still going to be very very quick, and in raw terms it is faster than most engine options a typical BMW 5 Series (which are plenty fast). Make no mistake, cars in this range are faster than 90% of the cars out there, and the 60kWh is still going to have the instant throttle response that makes it quicker than any non-EV.

Don't we have a chart somewhere that overlays the 0-60 (which includes 0-50) curves of the 60, 85, and P85?

Yep, it's here.http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16464-Minnesota-Test-Drives?p=351092&viewfull=1#post351092

@Colasec: There is HUGE difference between the 85 and the P85, and you don't need to test them one after the other to notice. There is only a small difference between the 60 and the 85 in the 0-40 mph range (you have to measure it with an accelerometer to tell), but the good news is that it is the 60 that is faster than the 85.

I've driven an 85 and P85 back-to-back and there is a huge difference up to about 50 kph. Above that there is little to no difference. But the difference "out of the blocks" is quite substantial - it almost feels like double the thrust.

Huh? I looked at the thread you referenced and the 85 clocked in at 5.2 sec and the 60 at 5.4-5.5 sec. By that measure and Tesla's own specs, the 85 is faster.

He's referring to peak acceleration, as measured by a phone acclerometer. Comparing cars by peak acceleration (in wildy differing circumstances, passenger loads, road conditions, drivers, etc.) is about as useful as selling audio ampilfiers by peak output and ignoring RMS capability.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. It sounds like I'll love the 60 just as much and soon be walking around with this Tesla Grin I keep hearing about. :)

The P85's definitely a hot car, but well out of my price range. Perhaps in three years if I exercise the buy-back...

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. It sounds like I'll love the 60 just as much and soon be walking around with this Tesla Grin I keep hearing about. :)

The P85's definitely a hot car, but well out of my price range. Perhaps in three years if I exercise the buy-back...

Great. You'll be happy with it. Since you live in California consider getting Supercharger access if you think you might travel in it.

You won't be disappointed, it is quite fun. My '60kwh is plenty fast, plus it is significantly lighter than an '85kwh vehicle. The g-force feeling is somehow factored in (ask J in MN for the math) with the weight of the vehicle, and since you live in "Supercharger Land" I doubt you're ever going to care for longer range, unless you feel like crossing the "great plains" of the MidWest.

I had similar uncertainty about my 60 before I took delivery.

The only car I was able to test trive was the P85 and the experience is best summarized in a censored version of my girlfriend's statement after we drove it "Before we test drove it I didn't think much other than it was a lot of money to spend on a car. Now that we drove it, I really love everything about that car! ... It made me a little ***". Hard to ignore that kind of encouragement to get the car.

I opted for the more economical 60 and instead got it loaded up with the options I had passion for. I went back and forth feeling afraid that the spirited ride I was expecting just wouldn't be there in the 60. The first thing I did as I pulled out of the service center where I took delivery was punch it. I remember feeling this HUGE sense of relief, which was quickly replaced by a GIANT Tesla smile I don't think has left my face since.

I find it almost impossible not to drive "aggressive" and constantly find myself moving around slow cars and often look down at the speedometer surprised at how fast I am driving. Ignoring comparisons between the three models, all I know is that the 60 is a truly brilliant driving machine and in case you were curious, it makes my girlfriend hot and bothered just the same.

I went back and forth feeling afraid that the spirited ride I was expecting just wouldn't be there in the 60. The first thing I did as I pulled out of the service center where I took delivery was punch it. I remember feeling this HUGE sense of relief, which was quickly replaced by a GIANT Tesla smile I don't think has left my face since.
Just an observation...

I had similar misgivings returning my P85+ loaner and taking the first turn in my Sig P85. Notice I said "turn" singular. After the first turn, that worry vanished. Do I skitter across the pavement a bit more than the + comparatively? Yes. Is it worth worrying about? Not really. Also, having driven in both dry and wet yesterday I have a firm impression the Continentals are indeed better when wet than the plus Michelins. Who knows how much of this is imagined vs. real, but perception is all I can provide.

Yes I can feel some difference in the + (even from just "aggressive street driving") but not enough to tear apart my Sig for a retrofit. And surely not for the $.

I went back and forth feeling afraid that the spirited ride I was expecting just wouldn't be there in the 60. The first thing I did as I pulled out of the service center where I took delivery was punch it. I remember feeling this HUGE sense of relief, which was quickly replaced by a GIANT Tesla smile I don't think has left my face since.

Thanks for the reassurance - that worry is exactly what I've been feeling. I can't wait to hit the accelerator and feel that same sense of relief and excitement that not only is it mine, but it's what I get to now drive around all the time.

I've been cruising in my F150 picturing what I'd be doing instead with the MS... just zooming up the hills, zipping around the slow cars. My truck has never felt so ungainly! lol