Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D vs 90D - Worth $18,000 difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great thread, thanks guys.

@ K Diesel...what about leasing a 90 instead of buying? Best of both worlds?

Question for my edification.....I have a 70, with a 240 range. If I understand correctly, the batteries are really 75's with a range of 259 miles. Does that mean I can charge to 236 miles each time (259 * .90)?

i would need more than 30,000 miles per year with the amount i drive. i dont believe a lease is realistic with that mileage.

my main "concern" is speed and performance. im a horsepower and power guy. the 90D has faster 0-60 than the 60D of course, and more HP. The P90D is out of the question for me. SO have to decide if 18500 is worth the additional performance or not

i am not overly concerned with the battery range. if i charge every night with a NEMA outlet, as recommended, i will have plenty for daily driving. i have a luxury SUV that we love for road trips - so I am covered there

Thoughts on actual driving/speed performance between 60D vs 90D?
Local dealer doesnt have a 60D to test. He said he can simulate the performance of the 60D while testing the 90D. I will probably be making a third trip out to drive and compare again

Last edited:
i am not overly concerned with the battery range. if i charge every night with a NEMA outlet, as recommended, i will have plenty for daily driving.

Charging every night is no problem at all, but using the NEMA can be a pain on a daily basis.
The NEMA charger is your mobile charger that your normally keep in the car for charging on the road,
so unless you buy a second one AND you can leave it plugged in place (inside your garage for exemple),
packing/unpacking it will get tedious on a daily basis.

You probably see where I'm heading...
If you have to buy a second one, consider buying a fixed charger that could be setup for higher amps (faster)
and permanently fixed outside if need be!
They're the same price...

There's a video out there of an owner who didn't quite have enough range to make it home. The power restriction keeps reducing until you can't move up a hill. It does take a while to get that low. It's all in his video.
Since I have a "classic", I still have the round gauge in the center. The yellow dotted line appears if I get somewhere near 25 miles left, which is probably about 10%. It's not usually noticeable during normal driving, but it is a visual reminder that I'd better have a plan. I don't know what that looks like on an AP display.

It is quite rare I get that low, I can't remember the last time. That being said, a software limited 60 really is probably plenty for most use cases.
that's not my experience and I've been down so low below 0 that the charge now light came on

Charging every night is no problem at all, but using the NEMA can be a pain on a daily basis.
The NEMA charger is your mobile charger that your normally keep in the car for charging on the road,
so unless you buy a second one AND you can leave it plugged in place (inside your garage for exemple),
packing/unpacking it will get tedious on a daily basis.

You probably see where I'm heading...
If you have to buy a second one, consider buying a fixed charger that could be setup for higher amps (faster)
and permanently fixed outside if need be!
They're the same price...
I leave my "nema" plugged in at home and only put it in the car when taking multi night road trips. I suspect that a good many other owners do the same. having a second unit for me would be a waste of money.

This might be a stupid question, but since the 60 is a software limited 70 battery, what would happen if one were to charge it to 100% each and every night? Since we're told by tesla (and warned by car) not to charge battery to 100%, charging the 60 to 100% every night will get you the same range as a 70 (charged to their "recommendation) haha

This might be a stupid question, but since the 60 is a software limited 70 battery, what would happen if one were to charge it to 100% each and every night? Since we're told by tesla (and warned by car) not to charge battery to 100%, charging the 60 to 100% every night will get you the same range as a 70 (charged to their "recommendation) haha

It's actually a 75kWh battery limited to 60kWh by software - 70 isn't offered anymore for that upgrade if wanted in future.

We still haven't established if the extra 15kWh is at the top by not being used (makes sense) or if bottom being utilize. The way we are looking find out is to get someone with a new 60 limited battery (or even 70 that was a 75 briefly) to do a 100% charge. If you are charging your 60kWh software limited 75 battery to 100%, it should dramatically slow down and take a while to "balance" even before completing - say 1amp or so a bit. If The top is left unused, it should still complete at a much faster rate so your not touching that slow top 10%. that also means that technically it would then be safer to charge to 100% all the time with a 60kWh software limited 75kWh battery :)

Soon...

I am awaiting delivery of my 60D, on the issue of the full vs. 80% charge on the new model 60 with the 75 battery spec. I will ask and post. Also we are planning a trip to the factory in early November, I will ask again.

Can't wait, just got the quote for the charging installation at the house.

I'd say go with the 60D as it will meet your commute needs and your not in a horribly cold climate. You'll lose 25% of that range in the Winter probably and a little more say 10% at highway speeds if makes up most of your commute. If you find your running a little lower than you want, at least then you can upgrade for 9K to a 75D that should meet your needs.

You have a 120 mile commute. I'd say the 210 miles is the 100% number, but you only charge to 90% daily so you start with just 189 in a 60D. Then say middle of road case you loose 20% due to colder times and faster driving and only have about 150 miles rated available - may cut it a little too close and require you to jump up to 75D then (or have purchased 90D to start with). You'll want to be able to take the detour when needed, run additional places possibly, etc.

One thing is that you'll find like many people you'll either 1) be fine with the lower range model, or 2) get the range bug and want as much range as possible always (thus the 90D is the best option).
I believe that you can charge the 60 to 100% daily because of the hidden capacity.

It's pretty rare to hear someone regret getting the bigger battery. Just get the biggest battery you can afford. If that's the 60D then it's still a great deal since you can charge to 100%, you get faster supercharging speed, less supercharge tapering at the top end and the same acceleration as a 75D.

It's pretty rare to hear someone regret getting the bigger battery. Just get the biggest battery you can afford. If that's the 60D then it's still a great deal since you can charge to 100%, you get faster supercharging speed, less supercharge tapering at the top end and the same acceleration as a 75D.

Being able to charge to 100% hasn't been proven/verified yet. In fact the evidence so far appears to say that 100% is actually 100% and that it isn't safe.

I have had a refresh 60D for the last 4 weeks. I have a couple of opinions on this topic.

First opinion - I had a loaner 85 because of some repairs Tesla wanted to do on undercarriage damage that occurred during shipping. I think the 85 was from about 2014. It was less responsive than my 60, way more noisy, and lacked the overall polish on the interior and exterior that I have on my car. Sorry to offend others who have this or a similar car, it was my perception.

Second opinion - it is not feasible that the battery limit is at the bottom. The implication with that limit is that 20% of the cells are left dormant, i.e uncharged. I don't have to expand further on why that is not realistic. It is almost certain that the limit is placed on each cell, that is each cell can only charge to 80% of its maximum charge. In that case the implication is that you can charge to 100% each night without risking damage. Yes, the car gives me the warning when I do that, but that warning means nothing, it's just software.
(Btw, I get 217 from 100%)

I'm sure the op has made his decision by now, but I like this topic, it makes for good reading. It would be nice to know the final decision!

The 60 is the best car ever made. Except all longer range Tesla vehicles. I'm guessing the P100D will be the best car ever made. Quickest. Efficient. Spacious. 315 miles range. Everything else will be "worse". But its meaningless. Buy what you can afford AND what you think you'll use. Road warrior? Go long range. Mostly around town? Shorter range will be plenty.