Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D vs. 90D Speed Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great discussion here. My two cents is that when you are paying around $80k for an optioned up 70D. The additional cost of $13k (to get 90D) is really nothing. You are going from $80k to $93k, which is only 16% increase. If you are trying to save money, you shouldn't buy any Tesla at all (or any car that cost $80k+). Like other have pointed out, 90D comes with more range, better acceleration at any speed, and faster supercharing speed. Plus, you can show off your new roller coaster to scare all your passengers. Worth the 16% increase in cost in my opinion :)

I could not agree more! Pick my S90D up this afternoon! Didn't sleep a wink! o_O

I went across Sweden to pick up a puppy yesterday. 1700km return trip. Sweden isnt as developed in superchargers as Norway. There was 263km between 2 and motorways. Damn if I`m waiting till my 85D tells me it`s safe to drive, I had some 63km extra typical range and went, car started telling me to slow down right out of the gate, and I did but kept it at 10km/h above recommended speed and kept an keen eye on end of journey %, arrived at SC with 1%. If I had a 70D I`d have had to wait a whole lot longer charging to 90% instead of hightailing out at 75%.

Last superharger to Øland was 200+ km each way. I`d have to get back there. It was the middle of night so I slept myself up to 100%, then knowing if I couldnt find somewhere to charge I`d still be able to get back with carefull driving. Did find myself a very decent 22kwh charger and topped up with compliments of Kalmar hospital.

So all in all, happy I didnt go 70D. Would have gone higher than 85 if I`d have had the option.
On road trips and driving fast range drops fast

Last edited:
Im not reading through 6 pages but I'm going to put my 2 cents in anyway. The wife and I drove the 70D, 85D, and P85D before we ordered our 85D. We both agreed that the 70D lacked any sort of impressive oomph, and this was exacerbated by having driven the faster versions in a back to back manner. This left us to decide beyween the 85D and P85D. While we each ended up picking the 85D as a compromise between cost and performance, we have both lamented not getting the P. Having said that, though, I see that I probably wouldn't have been happy unless I got the P90DL, given the lackluster trap speeds of the P85D and P90D... which helps me sleep at night as the P90DL was out of my price range anyway, heh. And yes, I fully utilize my 85Ds full acceleration on a daily basis. Multiple times.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine in Florida traded in his new Vette (year old) at the end of Decembe for a new 85D. 3 months and one road trip later and he says he could have gone for the 70D and saved some cash. In my case, shopping for used Teslas, it always comes back to range. Here in Texas, it gets cold enough (had a Volt for 3 years) that range becomes an issue on out of town trips especially given our relatively modest Supercharger coverage.

Much of this comes down to how much of a performance junkie someone is. I mean BMW makes a 320i, 328i, 340i, and M3. No one "needs" anything more than the 320i and yet the others sell too. At one point, several years ago, my wife owned a 2001 530i and I owned a 2002 M5. I actually felt the 530i hit the sweet spot for that generation of car. The M5 was more fun, but I was often driving with my wife and banzai blasts tend to be awesome for the driver...and suck for everyone else in the car.

Good thread... Long time lurker. I am in in the same situation, I test drove a 90D and now they have software to downgrade the car to perform at 70D level. I started my drive with the 90D, impressive, strong pull to 100 no problems, but on the other hand quite disappointing because once I went to the 70D setting, I was let down, you can definitely tell the difference from stop and on the freeway. I would describe it as going from the V6 to a V8, both are good, but once you drive that V8, you will find the V6 slightly sluggish.

I would go with the 90D, for the range and speed, but if I think of how often I will use that speed, then I think about loss of range on the 70D, decisions, decisions... Do the 85D perform the same as the 70D as far as speed?

Good thread... Long time lurker. I am in in the same situation, I test drove a 90D and now they have software to downgrade the car to perform at 70D level. I started my drive with the 90D, impressive, strong pull to 100 no problems, but on the other hand quite disappointing because once I went to the 70D setting, I was let down, you can definitely tell the difference from stop and on the freeway. I would describe it as going from the V6 to a V8, both are good, but once you drive that V8, you will find the V6 slightly sluggish.

I would go with the 90D, for the range and speed, but if I think of how often I will use that speed, then I think about loss of range on the 70D, decisions, decisions... Do the 85D perform the same as the 70D as far as speed?

There is no doubt that the 90 is the way to go for range and SC charge times. If there is any doubt you should get the 90.

We have 16k on our 70D and have not need to use a single SC as 100% of our driving in local. All charging done with the HPWC at home. Its the perfect daily driver for us in our situation here in S. FL.

maintaining a balance with speed
Only a committed Tesla devotee would call the speed of a 90D "balanced". ;) After driving mine the first
time I told my wife I finally truly understood why "Ludicrous Speed" mode was called that. It isn't because
the absolute speed is ludicrous -- which it most certainly is. It is because the idea that you'd need/want
more speed than a 90D -- let alone a P90D -- is utterly ludicrous.

Reactions: chriSharek
Only a committed Tesla devotee would call the speed of a 90D "balanced". ;) After driving mine the first
time I told my wife I finally truly understood why "Ludicrous Speed" mode was called that. It isn't because
the absolute speed is ludicrous -- which it most certainly is. It is because the idea that you'd need/want
more speed than a 90D -- let alone a P90D -- is utterly ludicrous.

I call mine "crazy fast". It's not insane, nor ludicrous, but just "crazy fast". :)

Just to chime in

70D leased with 15k miles now

$200 monthly difference when leasing - more than 16% by a good amount. That was just with $10k diff in price not today's $13k.

Supercharged several times - 5 probably. Mostly 200-250 mile trips. Total extra time - around 2 hours - because of extra charging not really SC speed although that added probably 20 min of the 2 hours. Since I've had the car about 10 months, the money saved is about $2000. So 2 hours for $2000? Well - not entirely. There was more stress I suppose since I arrived home with less than 10 miles twice. A lot of the time was driving 70 instead of 75 on a tight trip. Other times there were 5-10 mph difference for a stretch. For some, that would be hard. And for some, the stress would be hard. I had a Leaf for over 2 years - I can handle a little range anxiety. Only really an issue with family in the car - otherwise I don't mind getting home in single digits.

But in the end $2000 for 2 hours.

As far as speed - I guess that depends on your environment. I accelerate faster than 99% of cars around me - not necessarily capability, but how they are driven. I am too old to street race ... well usually. But the M5 next to me - isn't interested. I drive in an area of very expensive cars (for NC) and racing is not a typical thing.

And mostly, I am aggravated that everyone is accelerating so slowly. That was even a problem in the Leaf. So I think the need for acceleration is very regional.....

Lastly - 70D is most efficient. Pennies for sure but is isn't all about money.

Reactions: callmesam
Yeah. I've got to admit, I don't even bother plugging in during the day any more in between trips. The range is so sufficient that I just don't bother with it. This is SO different than with my Volt - plugged in after EVERY single little trip to the store or a client's office! I'm sure that the 70D would have been fine for my needs from a range anxiety perspective, but when you're buying your $90K dream car (my 70D would have been loaded), I figured I'd rather bite the bullet for the slight upgrade to the 90D.

I am very happy with my decision to go with an S70. Not even the D. Don't need the AWD in Florida and the 70's acceleration is faster than any car I have ever owned. Range wise, 200+ local is more than enough and having to spend a few extra minutes at a supercharger on a road trip is not a bad tradeoff for keeping thousands in my pocket. Everyone has different needs and the S70 filled ours.

I am very happy with my decision to go with an S70. Not even the D. Don't need the AWD in Florida and the 70's acceleration is faster than any car I have ever owned. Range wise, 200+ local is more than enough and having to spend a few extra minutes at a supercharger on a road trip is not a bad tradeoff for keeping thousands in my pocket. Everyone has different needs and the S70 filled ours.

Agreed, everyone has different needs and it's really going to depend on what you're looking for.

I came from a 2010 Mazda 3 S as my first car. Loved it for the 4.5 years I owned it, so when I made the upgrade to the 70D it was a world of difference. I did test drive the 85D when it was still available, but told myself I'd rarely need the extra oomph, and considering I was going from an 8-second 0-60 car to a 5.2-second 0-60 with the 70D, and the fact that the 70D gave me more than enough daily driving range, I couldn't justify going for the 85D.