Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 keeps dimming my screen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Driving home last night. getting darker out.

Screen switches to night mode - no big deal, it's still fairly light out. I set it to 90%.

Within 5 minutes, the car, without it getting any darker out... goes bat mobile on me.

I roll it back to 90%

Within 5 min, back to 0%

I fought it 3x before giving up and turning the auto adjust off.

Anyone else? Auto on my iPhone works fine...

Same thing. Tesla really wants to control your car. :)

Screen switches to night mode - no big deal, it's still fairly light out. I set it to 90%.

Within 5 minutes, the car, without it getting any darker out... goes bat mobile on me.

I roll it back to 90%

Within 5 min, back to 0%

I've always used auto brightness and did notice that the screen was much making itself much dimmer than it used to in 7.0. One time it didn't even switch to day mode when it was dusk out - usually I'd back out of my garage and it would switch to day mode, but then it just stayed in night mode and I almost couldn't see it. Guess it's time to put brightness back on the right scroll wheel...

It seems to work very well during the day but I noticed the same problem at dusk when it switched to night mode. It wants to go to 0 despite my repeated attempts to set it back up to 30ish. Once it's dark out I do like it at 0 and that is where I set it the first time after the 7.1 update (which was at night) but it needs to adjust to lighting conditions in night mode. Hope they fix it because it's a great feature otherwise.

I'm torn on autodim. I like the fact that it can automatically do stuff, but I would prefer the brightness to be a little higher than it is currently set to by auto.
I believe 7.1 will allow you to set where dim actually dims to and ditto bright. Seemed to work for me: I found default too dim for my aged eyes to see the large map detail at night in a quick scan. I just set the dim position to 10% from 3%.

I roll it back to 90%

Within 5 min, back to 0%

This exact same thing happened to me - but only one evening. Except it was not 5 mins, but more like 1 min. It was super annoying. Almost as if something was fully blocking the sensor making it think it was completely dark. For the evening, I even suspected that my sensor just broke. I was on a trip.

But it worked just fine the next day, the remainder of my trip, and ever since. No idea what really went wrong that one evening, but I would suggest to give it another try after the car has had some time to sleep, or may be after a reboot.

I ditched the 7.1 auto dim almost immediately. Did not work well for me.

Mine works quite well with one very minor exception. In the early morning, it is in "night" mode and is gradually ramping up the brightness as it gets lighter out until it nears 100% (or wherever I set the max). Then it does something weird: it flips to Day Mode with brightness still near full before quickly ramping down. As it continues to get brighter outside, the Day Mode does slowly ramp up. I just wish it would dim first before flipping to Day Mode because the momentary flash of those brighter white day screens is quite distracting.

Were people actually having problems with the brightness pre-7.1? On 7.0 I set the brightness once, and haven't touched it since, day/night/rain/sun doesn't matter, I can see it all just fine...

I think it depends on when you drive. Aside from the "flash of bright" issue I discuss above, I actually think it is a lot better than before. I had been driving quite a bit around the time the sun is rising (going to work) and setting (going home) and found the pre-set levels would sometimes be too bright and (more often) too dim. I like the way Night Mode actually brightens up as the sky gets brighter before flipping over to Day Mode and how Day Mode dims down as sunset nears.

7.1 now puts the screen in day mode when starting in an underground parking lot. It used to correctly start in night mode. Very annoying. I wish there was something good to say about v7, but auto Homelink is the only improvement. Everything else is a giant step backwards.

7.1 now puts the screen in day mode when starting in an underground parking lot. It used to correctly start in night mode. Very annoying. I wish there was something good to say about v7, but auto Homelink is the only improvement. Everything else is a giant step backwards.

Really? Mine is starting in Night Mode in underground lots... in fact I'm pretty sure it even does in my garage if it's been parked there a while. Unlike the auto headlights, there does seem to be some latency in the response. (I find it annoying that my headlights will flash on as I drive through an underpass even at highway speeds. The headlights waste no time coming on once they sense darkness!).

For some reason, I've had to give up on Auto Homelink. It will open my door as I arrive every time, but maybe once in 20 will it even attempt to close it when I leave.

Really? Mine is starting in Night Mode in underground lots... in fact I'm pretty sure it even does in my garage if it's been parked there a while. Unlike the auto headlights, there does seem to be some latency in the response. (I find it annoying that my headlights will flash on as I drive through an underpass even at highway speeds. The headlights waste no time coming on once they sense darkness!).

For some reason, I've had to give up on Auto Homelink. It will open my door as I arrive every time, but maybe once in 20 will it even attempt to close it when I leave.
I only use Homelink to open the door as I do too many driveway shuffles.

For the parking lot, when I drive in it correctly stays in night mode, but when I leave it starts up in day mode. I have to dial down the brightness until I am outside. The SC said Tesla changed the triggers and that's just how it works now. My satisfaction level is much lower than it used to be.

I only use Homelink to open the door as I do too many driveway shuffles.

Me too. Homelink has always worked great for me. I can open the door from so far down the street I can barely see it. The recent Auto feature has not worked well for me, however.

For the parking lot, when I drive in it correctly stays in night mode, but when I leave it starts up in day mode.

I was in several UG parking lots last week and could swear it was in Night Mode when I returned to the car. If it was in Day Mode, it must have had the brightness to the lowest level because it certainly wasn't a distraction for me. I will pay closer attention going forward.

Me too. Homelink has always worked great for me. I can open the door from so far down the street I can barely see it. The recent Auto feature has not worked well for me, however.

I was in several UG parking lots last week and could swear it was in Night Mode when I returned to the car. If it was in Day Mode, it must have had the brightness to the lowest level because it certainly wasn't a distraction for me. I will pay closer attention going forward.
You would know if it happened. 95% in day mode is really bright in a dim underground parking garage.