Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone saw but the new 1 piece casting is rolling out and spotted in public:
https://twitter.com/TonyTesla4Life/status/1348099171899777024

Taking a close look and comparing it to the 7 seater photos/videos we've seen, I have to assume this "hump" has been removed to fit the 3rd row seat cushions.
upload_2021-1-11_8-33-4.png

Isn’t that picture of the single piece casting? So there are 2 versions of it depending on seat config?
Sorry for not being clear. Yes, this is the single piece.

I'm not entirely sure if there are 2 versions of it depending on seat config but it appears that hump is a separate piece. And if you look at the 7 seater pics, there's just NO WAY you can fit the butt pads of the 3rd row as low as they're pictured with that hump still there.

Time will tell.

if you look at the 7 seater pics, there's just NO WAY you can fit the butt pads of the 3rd row as low as they're pictured with that hump still there
The "hump" is most likely the rear motor enclosure, so if the Performance motor is larger, that could be why it doesn't allow 7-seat configuration. Even before the single piece casting, there's some decent amount of depth to the shallow lower trunk compartment:

shallow depth.jpg

Above the motor, there's 4 inches to the "floor" level, and at the deeper side, there's 6 inches. The space does need to allow for the 3rd row seat back to fold flat as well as the bottom cushion. There probably was some space savings when going to the single piece casting and replacing the shallow compartment liners, etc.

Ordered the 7 seat Model Y Performance with FSD ($6k) within minutes of the ordering window opening Mar 2019. Just spoke to the local sales team and they also confirmed that the performance 7 seat will not be made. So he said they’ll have to change my order to the long range Model Y and FSD will go up to $10k.

As you can imagine, this is extremely frustrating considering I’ve had $2500 tied up for almost 2 years. Waiting on a call back to see if they can somehow help.

Ordered the 7 seat Model Y Performance with FSD ($6k) within minutes of the ordering window opening Mar 2019. Just spoke to the local sales team and they also confirmed that the performance 7 seat will not be made. So he said they’ll have to change my order to the long range Model Y and FSD will go up to $10k.

As you can imagine, this is extremely frustrating considering I’ve had $2500 tied up for almost 2 years. Waiting on a call back to see if they can somehow help.
Yeah...that's a real bummer. My order is only like a year old and even then, I feel like I've been waiting forever.

Oh well. I guess this is the price you pay reserving a car that isn't in production yet.

You said you purchased FSD for $6k? I thought that price gets locked in until delivery???

Yeah...that's a real bummer. My order is only like a year old and even then, I feel like I've been waiting forever.

Oh well. I guess this is the price you pay reserving a car that isn't in production yet.

You said you purchased FSD for $6k? I thought that price gets locked in until delivery???

As long as you don't change your spec, that price is locked in at pre-order. I'm in the same boat with $6k FSD, though I went with AWD so no 7-seater performance quandary. Locking in the FSD price was a big reason a lot of people pre-ordered the Y. Same for Cybertruck.

I'm with you there. The change is no fault of your own. They should really just give you $4k off - making it the price it would have been if you'd ordered a spec they were going to produce.

I'm with you there. The change is no fault of your own. They should really just give you $4k off - making it the price it would have been if you'd ordered a spec they were going to produce.

But the price of the car has come down in that time too. So they would have to change the price of the 7-seat AWD variant back to what it was when he originally placed the reservation as well. (If you want the new pricing for the car you get the new pricing for everything.)

Reactions: CoastalCruiser
But the price of the car has come down in that time too. So they would have to change the price of the 7-seat AWD variant back to what it was when he originally placed the reservation as well. (If you want the new pricing for the car you get the new pricing for everything.)

For my situation and config, LR AWD white/white, 3 row, standard wheel, no tow, with FSD, the diff in price between ordering on 3/15/19 and today is $500 less if you had ordered 2 years ago. The drop in the base price of the car and the rise in price of FSD almost canceled each other out.

For my situation and config, LR AWD white/white, 3 row, standard wheel, no tow, with FSD, the diff in price between ordering on 3/15/19 and today is $500 less if you had ordered 2 years ago. The drop in the base price of the car and the rise in price of FSD almost canceled each other out.

My reservation from 3/15/19 is very similar except I added tow as soon as it was an option, and I have black interior. My overall purchase price hasn’t changed much (I think it dropped slightly because of free white paint) because I made sure to make changes ASAP before FSD went up (even though I’m paying more for FSD than originally).

It’s very unfair if original reservation holders are forced to pay $10k for FSD just because their car isn’t getting produced, but I also see why Tesla would want to be consistent with the rule (all options receive updated pricing with any change). The fluctuations in prices/options since 2019 would make not doing so pretty complicated.

My reservation from 3/15/19 is very similar except I added tow as soon as it was an option, and I have black interior. My overall purchase price hasn’t changed much (I think it dropped slightly because of free white paint) because I made sure to make changes ASAP before FSD went up (even though I’m paying more for FSD than originally).

It’s very unfair if original reservation holders are forced to pay $10k for FSD just because their car isn’t getting produced, but I also see why Tesla would want to be consistent with the rule (all options receive updated pricing with any change). The fluctuations in prices/options since 2019 would make not doing so pretty complicated.
A consistent set of rules could keep it fair. Right now it’s not fair to anyone who ordered a config that got cancelled.

It could be “a change in config causes repricing”
- unless you are adding an option was not available and it is purely additive (eg tow hitch) then you pay for that option.
- unless your config is being cancelled altogether in which case you get a one-time configuration choice.

Also, a lot of this dance is because of the FSD increase in price which was a known thing.
They could make a rule that if they would at least honor the old FSD price; with the rest of the vehicle becoming current price.

I am not saying these are good or perfect rules, just saying that it is possible to have simple and fair processes that deal with a situation like this uniformly.

My first month order is back when black paint was the included option. I would love to update my order to preferred white paint as included, but for the reasons stated above I accept that it's not practical.

I have a better argument maybe that if the third row is relegated to children to be able to cancel the 7-seat option due to some sort of failure to perform argument. But again, may make things too complicated.

The most I could do is change the config to drop the 7-seat option, which would cause the price to remain about the same, since my RWD config would morph to an AWD config. So, essentially swapping 7 seats for AWD. And as a bonus I could get the white paint.

But one thing is seems Tesla could do without making it complicated is to simply allow folks to add options. Add options at current price, w/o disturbing the price of existing config. Could call it the "Let sleeping orders lie" policy.

A consistent set of rules could keep it fair. Right now it’s not fair to anyone who ordered a config that got cancelled.

It could be “a change in config causes repricing”
- unless you are adding an option was not available and it is purely additive (eg tow hitch) then you pay for that option.
- unless your config is being cancelled altogether in which case you get a one-time configuration choice.

Also, a lot of this dance is because of the FSD increase in price which was a known thing.
They could make a rule that if they would at least honor the old FSD price; with the rest of the vehicle becoming current price.

I am not saying these are good or perfect rules, just saying that it is possible to have simple and fair processes that deal with a situation like this uniformly.

Well, your idea wouldn’t be fair to me (and I suspect many others) because tow hitch wasn’t available initially and my FSD increased $2000 when I added it. That’s where it gets complicated trying to be ‘fair’, because they aren’t going to go back and lower my FSD price.

Their policy has been consistent afaik for quite some time, and they should probably keep it that way, even though it’s not always fair.

With presumably plenty of demand for Model Y, for better or worse, if some customers end up alienated, it might be acceptable for the company as a whole. Standard range MY basically has no competition (factoring in supercharge network and possible ftc ev extension) and is going to sell like hot cakes!

Got a call from a ‘supervisor’ who stated that they have not received confirmation from ‘Tesla HQ’ that the Performance Model Y 7 seater will not be made. The associate who I originally spoke to was incorrect.

Either way, he stood behind the $4k increase if any change is made to the order, regardless if they make the car or not. I’m going to wait this out until they get confirmation from HQ since I’ve got a couple months left on my existing lease.

When Tesla forced me to change from the stealth 7-seat Y to the performance 7-seat Y while back, I was able to keep some the FSD pricing. I was not able to “double” dip and get the base cost reduced though. It just seems like the sales advisors can excerize as little or as much autonomy in the decision making as they want