Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was looking at the spreadsheet and filtered for Model Y 7 seat, mid to late January orders are getting VINs, unless you are on the west coast.

Filter by California, and you will see that only 1 in 20 VINs have been ordered and that was to a ‘19 preorder.

Geography clearly has a lot to do with when you get your VIN right now.

Mid January order in Pennsylvania without a vin here. S.A. updated me again... For the fourth week in a row, my expected delivery date is pushed back another week. Originally by 2/19, now a full month later. At this rate, I feel like I'll never get it. Husband just told my disappointed kids that I'll be getting it during summer.

Mid January order in Pennsylvania without a vin here. S.A. updated me again... For the fourth week in a row, my expected delivery date is pushed back another week. Originally by 2/19, now a full month later. At this rate, I feel like I'll never get it. Husband just told my disappointed kids that I'll be getting it during summer.

Right there with you. Ordered one on the 15th and one on the 18th. I am told every week that, "You should get a VIN next week!"

• Love
Reactions: Giraffe950
Which is no longer true perhaps since around Feb 13 (7 days before DD Delivery Date 2/20), NCC81701 7 Seater LRY.
Wrote:
"I didn't know I had the new console and headlights until the car showed up on my driveway.
Reserved 3/14/19: Model Y | LR AWD | White Exterior | Gemini Wheels | No Tow | White Interior | 7-Seater | FSD | Southern California | VIN 131xx | DD: 2/20/21"
congrats
how doeds new headlights look?
can you please upload photo?

Lurking for some time and really close to ordering a 7-seat LR. Inquired today with my SA about heated steering wheel and new headlights. She said any MY 7-seat built after 2/7 should have all this. First I’ve heard and wanted to see if any have taken delivery with build dates after 2/7.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
Does anyone know whether the rear trunk bin cover (lid) have a slot so you can prop it up while loading things in to the bin? I know the 5 seater does. I know the lid can be turned upside down so the trunk is flat with the seats down, but does it prop up? If so, does it prop up in both configurations (right side up and upside down), or just in one? Thanks!

Does anyone know whether the rear trunk bin cover (lid) have a slot so you can prop it up while loading things in to the bin? I know the 5 seater does. I know the lid can be turned upside down so the trunk is flat with the seats down, but does it prop up? If so, does it prop up in both configurations (right side up and upside down), or just in one? Thanks!
We did this with the third row up in the MY 7 on display at our local dealership. It does prop up, but I think the seats were leaned back or the lid was the wrong way as it kept falling.

Ordered 2/6 from Devon, PA. Still waiting on a VIN. Guessing we’ll get our VINs around the same time (and our MYs will be shipped together).

Reactions: Giraffe950
Ordered 2/6 from Devon, PA. Still waiting on a VIN. Guessing we’ll get our VINs around the same time (and our MYs will be shipped together).

For your sake I hope you are right, but from what we have been seeing there are still a whole lot of people who ordered in January or before that are still waiting.

We have seen 5 seater orders matched quite quickly but the 7 seater orders tend to be taking 6+ weeks.

The really frustrating thing is the order website now says that wait times are 2-5 weeks (a week less than when I ordered 6 weeks ago) though there is still little sign Tesla will be able to work through their back log in that time. I’m not a fan of the philosophy of Over Promisining and under delivering but it seems Tesla has a history of of this starting with their Range Estimates and continuing on with their delivery promisins.

Here’s hoping that things speed up soon!
I desperately want to love both the company and the vehicle I’ve purchased from them but it’s hard to maintain that enthusiasm through this protracted and under informed process.

Last edited:
And just an update from someone who has a VIN (posted my info earlier and on the Google Sheet). It seems deliveries from West to East coast have been delayed somewhat. We took a 2 day delivery delay already. It seems our car is stuck in California. After shipment its supposed to be routed through Chicago and then out to New York (takes about 2+ weeks). Has anyone else seen delivery delays?

My wife works at a hospital and is on call this month so it's making us crazy with our pick-up date. We can only pick up on weekends due to her work and then delay put us into mid-week. You only have a 3-day pick up window. They require 24-hours after arrival at SC before pick-up. And home deliveries it seems are NOT possible here in New York as you have to greater than 250 miles from the SC. Otherwise SC pick-up is the only option.

Morning all. Little spread sheet work today with a California Focus. The below shows roughly the first half and second half of Model Y orders with 7 seat layout vs. reported VINs. I also broke out the California orders because that's where I would take delivery. This must be at least slightly conservative, assuming <100% of people who entered their details in the spreadsheet on reservation keep it up to date.

If there is any good news for California orders - we have a (one, singular) recently reported VIN on a 2021 order added to the sheet. Hopefully that is a sign that CA orders would start to be assigned VINs.

Model Y Orders.JPG

@JKnighthorse Thanks for the info! Have you looked at the 'VINs per day' tab? I was blown away to see the difference between this quarter and last, they were pumping out at least twice as many MYs last quarter.... That tab was eye opening to me, makes me think they have shifted their focus away from the Y for now, maybe focusing on the new interior of the S/X. Just thought I would throw this out there....

My wife works at a hospital and is on call this month so it's making us crazy with our pick-up date. We can only pick up on weekends due to her work and then delay put us into mid-week. You only have a 3-day pick up window. They require 24-hours after arrival at SC before pick-up. And home deliveries it seems are NOT possible here in New York as you have to greater than 250 miles from the SC. Otherwise SC pick-up is the only option.
I empathize, our household is similar. I’m sure the delivery folks will work with you if you ask and explain the situation.