Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Seater Pics and Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but nope. ryanjeffords' assumption was correct. The 2nd row is indeed higher (2-3") in the 7-seat vs. the 5-seat. My wife noted feeling more cramped in the 2nd row and asked if the seats were narrower in the 7-seat vs. 5-seat. The sales rep said that they were the same width. Also, I folded the 2nd row down, and the top is flush with the 3rd rown, which in turn is 2-3" higher than the cargo cover.

The 2nd row in the 5-seat has a tremendous amount of space, so losing that extra space is noticeable, but worth it for small (height-wise) families.
But the floor is the same height, right? So what you give up from the tailbone to top of head, you gain from knee to the bottom of your foot. I expect that makes for a more upright seating position, but if the third row is not in use, the second row still reclines, does it not? So you could reclaim some of the lost headroom by reclining?

Reactions: GOFORIT5
But the floor is the same height, right? So what you give up from the tailbone to top of head, you gain from knee to the bottom of your foot. I expect that makes for a more upright seating position, but if the third row is not in use, the second row still reclines, does it not? So you could reclaim some of the lost headroom by reclining?

correct. the floor didn't change, the seat is simply higher due to the additional slider rails (5-seat 2nd row mounts directly to the risers, so the seats don't slide). And yes, the 2nd row still has the slight-recline ability. Not sure if anyone would want to sit in that slightly reclined position to regain head-room though?

Reactions: acacia
correct. the floor didn't change, the seat is simply higher due to the additional slider rails (5-seat 2nd row mounts directly to the risers, so the seats don't slide). And yes, the 2nd row still has the slight-recline ability. Not sure if anyone would want to sit in that slightly reclined position to regain head-room though?
None of my kids is over 6”, or even 5’8” (yet), and I’m 5’11”, so it’s a moot point. But if we get to that point, so long as it has some recline, we have a solution.
The reality for us is that the minivan will be primary for moving all 6 + dog, but the flexibility to do the job is there with this 7 seater.

Not sure if anyone would want to sit in that slightly reclined position to regain head-room though?
At least in existing 5-seat Model Ys, people have complained how reclining results in their head hitting the cross beam, e.g., Rear cross beam a big issue?

Although the 7-seater sliding 2nd row might actually end up positioning the headrest away from the cross beam when not pushed all the way back.

Reactions: ryanjeffords
None of my kids is over 6”, or even 5’8” (yet), and I’m 5’11”, so it’s a moot point. But if we get to that point, so long as it has some recline, we have a solution.
The reality for us is that the minivan will be primary for moving all 6 + dog, but the flexibility to do the job is there with this 7 seater.

My whole family is under 5'8". :D

So you should definitely find a 7-seat floor model somewhere and test it out for yourself.

Thanks for sharing. It definitely makes me feel a little better knowing that the driver and second row passenger can still sit comfortably with the second row pushed all the way forward and third row up.
Agreed. It’s nice to see a thorough review answering almost every question that’s been asked...and specifically tackling the details of real use cases.

I’m not going to lie... I’ve had some doubts along the way, but this video gives me the confidence that the $3k 3rd row is still worth it for my family.

That video pretty much answered all my questions...

Now need to find a way how to exchange my 2 month old Y. :D

My wife asked the exact same question! Surprisingly, It was "just" a $3k loss for a 2 week old model Y. :p

Coming from a history of being frugal, that was too much of a loss. :p

Edit: Relative to other cars, that was actually a pretty good deal, but ....

My wife asked the exact same question! Surprisingly, It was "just" a $3k loss for a 2 week old model Y. :p

Coming from a history of being frugal, that was too much of a loss. :p

Edit: Relative to other cars, that was actually a pretty good deal, but ....

$3k is that factoring in tax and destination fee...? My Y only has 600 miles. I would love to trade it in for only a $3k loss.

Be ready to take a hit on it... I wish Tesla had some kind of good exchange program, my 3 only lasted me 1 year before I wanted to trade for my Y, lol

Yea I know... Reason I had a big grin.

$3k is that factoring in tax and destination fee...? My Y only has 600 miles. I would love to trade it in for only a $3k loss.

Oooh, good point! Didn't get that far into the thought process. Just ask, the sales lady had an app that auto-calculated the trade-in value. She only had to pull up the config from my wife's account. Took them less than a minute to run the query.

So now they need a Performance Model... :)

I agree! I was planning on ordering the performance seven seater also. I was bummed when the sales rep first told me they weren’t going to have it, but then I did an overnight test drive in the LR and it was plenty fast for me. I felt like it was way more fun to drive and faster than my X100D, so I’m ok that there is no performance. Saves me some money too.

• Love
Reactions: ryanjeffords
Yeah, but they save on options (logistics, by not offering them) in a way that is so "pre 2021 VW (aka german) style".

Want a)? Chose b), upgraded to b2), which comes bundled with c). Yes, the c) you never wanted, and the c) that's expensive, that c).

They keep options down to a minimum, which is smart in a way... but I am just in the bad luck position. They find a way to offer me a downside with every vehicule I take into consideration to replace my 2015 Model S.

Model 3? Bad access to the rear.
Box on the hitch? No hitch with M3P.
Looking to get more space? MY 7s? OK, get the hitch, but no MYP 7s.
Stay with S? No hitch.
Upgrade to X just to have all? C'mon, the SuV looks... ;)

• Love
Reactions: TheRev
I really, really, like my MY, but even when we have five, we take our hybrid Pacifica. For occasional short trips, I can see putting 5, 6, or even 7 in the MY, but if your primary use case is 5+ people, a minivan is far superior. Little kids grow fast. I think that an average 7 year old in a booster, or a 12+ year old without one would be quite uncomfortable in the rear. The narrow space between the rails for passenger side foot room looks pretty uncomfortable as well. I'd also be concerned about safety when getting rear-ended - in particular the glass compressing the neck when hitting it. (Try even lightly flopping back in the seat to see what happens and you can extrapolate what happens in even a moderate collision.)

BTW, 75%+ of my miles in the Pacifica are electric-only. Don't get me wrong, I we take the Tesla every time we have four or fewer people - it's fantastic.

I agree! I was planning on ordering the performance seven seater also. I was bummed when the sales rep first told me they weren’t going to have it, but then I did an overnight test drive in the LR and it was plenty fast for me. I felt like it was way more fun to drive and faster than my X100D, so I’m ok that there is no performance. Saves me some money too.

Don't forget the $2k for the performance boost. It take half a second of 0-60 and takes the LR AWD closer to the performance version (4.3 vs. 3.5).