Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$75.00 for a tire rotation!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All local tire shops include them free around here. Usually don't even check to see if the tires are theirs from what I am told. $75 to rotate tires does seem like a racket... but that's the case with most stealership / service visits with an other manufacture... I agree, they should do it free IMO at least while the car is under warranty or while rotating the tires that came with the car. Especially if the owner isn't nickeling and diming them for every little squeak and misalignment...

Reactions: 0ptions
In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing it is Tesla, but this is outrageous.

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

Not sure why you expect them to do it for free. They are providing you a service that allows your tires to last longer and provide a better and quieter ride.

I just had my tires rotated this morning by a mobile tech who came to my house and he told me tire rotations are free by mobile techs. He didn't say whether I would be charged at the service center had I gone to the service center for the rotation.

We had a chat about how he was going to rotate the tires because I thought the manual said the rotated tires should be "criss-crossed" (left rear goes to right front, right rear to left front, etc.) He said they are told to simply move fronts to back and backs to front, on the same sides. I pulled up the owner's manual on my car's screen and we couldn't find anything about the criss-crossing. So he jacked up one side at a time (raising both wheels off the ground), as Ms. Julie's photo showed, and rotated the tires. Took about 20 minutes.

Kelly

Hopefully Tesla will join BMW and state that tire rotations are a waste of time.

I know people disagree, but here's my honest belief: tire rotation is slightly dangerous and results in faster tire wear.

Each tire position wears differently, especially.. The tire wears into its position such that the contact patch becomes its widest. When it's at its widest, the rate of wear reaches a minimum. Rotate the tires and the contact patch is no longer optimum... the tire has to wear into its new position all over again. Until it does so, your stability at the limit is slightly off and your emergency handling is slightly compromised. After a rotation the tire wears into its new position, the contact patch is narrow, the contact pressure is elevated, and the tire wears more quickly.

Only if your alignment is way off, or you have a lead foot with a rwd car will tire rotation make the tires last longer.

Better to not rotate and be better able to see evidence of any alignment issues, and stop wasting the Tesla techs time in the false fantasy that you are getting couple extra months out of your tires.

Use winter tires if you have seasons, but otherwise I say trust the German bmw engineers on this one. Don't rotate the tires

Reactions: bsf29 and Teslie
FWIW, I had my 3 in yesterday for a tire rotation (recent road trip took it just over 7k miles) along with a couple minor warranty fixes (discoloration on A-pillar interior trim, charge port door replacement due to it not opening by hand).

They told me the rotation would be $60-something, but after checking the tread depth they said the tires were almost perfectly even and therefore no rotation needed. There is zero chance any dealership I've used for other brands would have done this. They'd have gladly taken my money.

Tech told me that the 6250 number is in the manual because these are heavy cars and it's certainly possible to need a rotation at that point, especially if folks are flooring it constantly or have P-spec vehicles.

My takeaway is that Tesla may charge more than others, but they also will only charge you if the work is truly needed.

Side note: they had my warranty concerns addressed in < an hour, offered to Lyft me somewhere for lunch while I waited, and tossed in a free 3rd keycard when I asked if I could buy one. Happy customer here.

• Love
Reactions: CarlK and 0ptions
So this is my question. I was looking at investing in jackpoint blocks. When you guys are bringing the 3 in for rotations, are the tire shops using appropriate jackpot blocks or just throwing the car on the lift and lifting it? i.e is this damaging to the battery and under car area on the 3 if j.c.b.’s are not supporting the 4 jackpoints?

Ski

We’re they there for another Service Call item? Or did you call them for ‘just’ the rotation?

Just tires

I was looking at investing in jackpoint blocks.

I got one, after seeing how they lifted the car I would have no trouble using one to lift an entire side. I would have done this myself, debates on rotating aside :) but they told it was free so I went for it..