Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my knowledge all the uncorking that hasn't taken eventually gets resolved. Tesla identified early that they need a good connection to make it work. Also, we know that the firmware has to be reinstalled after the changes in order to implement them. On some occasions the only reason the uncorking hasn't taken has been that the firmware didn't get installed or didn't take. One way to test this is to get Tesla to "push" the latest firmware back out to the car of someone that didn't take. Although unless you are really remote it is probably just easier to revisit the service center.

It might be that the API could report P1 before the firmware install and uncorking was complete, but I don't think the API could report P3 after a successful uncorking.

SC tech sometimes forgets to set Performance to 1. You don't really need to reinstall firmware, they just need to reboot gateway in order for changes to take an effect, I'm not sure why they are pushing new firmware, it does reinstall DU firmware but change seems to be there since version 28.
In all honesty, connection to a vehicle is not required, Tesla could do uncorking for everybody with over the air update.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Here is the latest software update that goes in the opposite direction on performance :cool:
Tesla releases new software update with ‘Chill’ feature to soften crazy acceleration and more

Tesla started releasing a new software update to its fleet this weekend with two new convenience features. The automaker has added a feature to give the option to soften the crazy acceleration of the Model S and Model X and it also pushed another requested feature. Tesla appropriately called the new feature “Chill: a new acceleration”.

It’s a significant change from the automaker’s previous modes called Insane and Ludicrous, which are more geared toward performance. As for “Chill”, Tesla describes the option in the release notes of the new 2017.44 update:

“You can now choose between two acceleration options in your vehicle: Chill and Standard. Chill makes acceleration more gradual – ideal for smoother driving and a gentler ride for your passengers.” While the instant torque is arguably one of the best parts of driving electric, not everyone gets used to it. Therefore, it might prove useful to some.

In order to activate it, drivers can go to Controls > Controls > Driving and toggle to Chill under ‘Acceleration’.
LMAO I thought this was Satire. Guess not... lol

Finally got the "easy entry" feature. Now waiting for Hot Spot, Dash cam recordability from onboard cameras, and improved Browser.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Another data point is that the service guy mentioned the fact that I'd previously unlocked my battery from the 70 to the 75kWh, and that if I hadn't I wouldn't have been eligible for this performance upgrade.
How many kws are you pulling? Tried its this morning with about 75% charge, pulled just over 350kw. Couldn't find anywhere flat, but did 0-100kmh in 3.5 on a downhill slope and 0-100kmh in 4.8 uphill. Did 4.6 on a flat, but backed off when I hit 80. (speed limits :(), it rolled up to 100.

How many kws are you pulling? Tried its this morning with about 75% charge, pulled just over 350kw. Couldn't find anywhere flat, but did 0-100kmh in 3.5 on a downhill slope and 0-100kmh in 4.8 uphill. Did 4.6 on a flat, but backed off when I hit 80. (speed limits :(), it rolled up to 100.
Just over 350kW.
Sort of gets to 353, 354, 353, 356.
Getting a bit of a shudder in the front end on hard acceleration though, not sure if some suspension problem is revealing itself with the higher performance.

Just over 350kW.
Sort of gets to 353, 354, 353, 356.
Getting a bit of a shudder in the front end on hard acceleration though, not sure if some suspension problem is revealing itself with the higher performance.
Your times seem rather quick, do you have an aluminium roof? I know those cars were lighter. I just had my car in for first service/uncork with a shudder at around 55kph under hard acceleration, service replaced front drive shafts. Uncorking didn't take, hopefully get beast mode before the end of the week.
I was also advised launching in high or very high will cause shudder if you have SAS

SC tech sometimes forgets to set Performance to 1. You don't really need to reinstall firmware, they just need to reboot gateway in order for changes to take an effect, I'm not sure why they are pushing new firmware, it does reinstall DU firmware but change seems to be there since version 28.
In all honesty, connection to a vehicle is not required, Tesla could do uncorking for everybody with over the air update.

That is incorrect. When performance changed from P3 to P1 then DI firmware redeployment is absolutely necessary. Former firmware named 70D while latter is 85D. It is physically different firmwares, even within same version number. That's why they always redeploy.
GW reboot is enough for BMS limits bump (perfaddon 0->3).

Your times seem rather quick, do you have an aluminium roof? I know those cars were lighter. I just had my car in for first service/uncork with a shudder at around 55kph under hard acceleration, service replaced front drive shafts. Uncorking didn't take, hopefully get beast mode before the end of the week.
I was also advised launching in high or very high will cause shudder if you have SAS
Pano roof and coil suspension.
I reckon the times are a bit off, because PowerTools only polls every 0.25s so it's a bit useless for timing runs (good for seeing power etc though).

Reactions: Mike75d
No, P3 = corked.

I would take it back to them and tell them the performance doesn’t seem faster, and the owners API still shows P3. Ask them to show you the P1 performance field and the “Uncorked” PerfAddOn field on the car’s diagnostic screen.

Took it back to SvC yesterday and just got it back this morning (they are chockerblock over there and had to keep car overnight. But they gave me a (ICE) loaner.

Before I went to pick it up, I queried the API and...P1:D

Wow! Character of the car is definitely different. As others have said, “raw” is a good word. More motor noise. Traction control seeming to have to fight harder to control wheel spin. Definitely beast mode.

Haven’t run PowerTools yet to get kw/hp numbers.

As an aside...anybody have recommended good spots in the Bay Area for relatively safe places to do straight, level/level-ish full power 0-60 test sprint?

Took it back to SvC yesterday and just got it back this morning (they are chockerblock over there and had to keep car overnight. But they gave me a (ICE) loaner.

Before I went to pick it up, I queried the API and...P1:D

Wow! Character of the car is definitely different. As others have said, “raw” is a good word. More motor noise. Traction control seeming to have to fight harder to control wheel spin. Definitely beast mode.

Haven’t run PowerTools yet to get kw/hp numbers.

As an aside...anybody have recommended good spots in the Bay Area for relatively safe places to do straight, level/level-ish full power 0-60 test sprint?
No longer live in the bay area but born and raised there. San Leandro Doolittle Rd. by Marina. (Just be careful with the RailRoad Tracks).
Treasure Island naval base.
Tesla HQ own private roads right outside their parking lots.

Cant think of anything else right now but I know there are plenty of places. With 0-60 being so quick, it shouldn't take much of a distance to get her up to speed. Quite honestly any onramp or deserted back street that is just a couple blocks long, will do the trick.

:D Well guys it looks like the UK is suddenly eligible for the performance upgrade

I was contacted on Friday by my SC having replied to my Executive escalation rejection. They are booked me in for tomorrow morning. In the meantime, a Facebook member has reported he was offered the upgrade during his first years service appointment.

Good news at last and I’ll definitely report back here tomorrow!

For reference, his VIN is 184XXX and mine is 171XXX

I'm interested to know how long the uncorking procedure took. I've read here there are multiple downloads, reboots, etc.

I was told that there was a mechanical part to the upgrade and a firmware update part. The mechanics part takes under 30 minutes. He firmware update can take as long as 1.5 hours. The firmware update isn’t always needed and depends on when the car was manufactured (mine came in June 2017 and did need it).

It did take about 2 hours in my instance.