Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla took a second shot at uncorking my S75D today since it didn't seem to stick the first time around. So far this time it seems to have worked, since the car is noticeably more quick. Will post my kW and 0-60 results as soon as I have a chance to find an empty road with a full charge.
Congrats! Assuming you are now at kW 330ish and 0-60 4.2ish. SC did mention that if update fails, it happens right away. Therefore you should be all set now.

Last edited:
The BMS has some CAN signals that report max discharge/regen.. this was with around 79% SoC on my uncorked 75D:
View attachment 257487

I’ll try again tomorrow with 100% SoC and see what I get.

100% SoC, 72.5 KWh nominal energy remaining, showing 353kW discharge max:
FFD8751D-4324-4CF1-8715-C7A1FBE85623.jpeg

Definitely does drop as battery drops... even a little bit:
A4C14D7A-DF55-43DA-8A56-B5224AEBCEB3.jpeg

Congrats! Assuming you are now at kW 330ish and 0-60 4.2ish. SC did mention that if update fails, it happens right away. Therefore you should be all set now.

I'll need a little bit more time to see what the performance looks like, since I've been in the middle of busy traffic most of the day. I did manage to squeak in one quick 0-60 run on Power Tools, shortly after 30kW supercharging at a CHAdeMO station. SOC was about 90% and it managed to hit 348kW, but only 4.7 seconds 0-60. I'll try a few more to see if the power drops down to 330ish kW when the battery isn't "warmed up" by quick charging like some have been theorizing in this thread, and I'll hope for some 0-60 times closer to 4.2. :p

100% SoC, 72.5 KWh nominal energy remaining, showing 353kW discharge max:
View attachment 257615

Definitely does drop as battery drops... even a little bit:
View attachment 257618

What program/connection are you using to get that data? I bought the cable to connect a BT OBDII connector to the cable behind the cubby, but haven't gone any further than that. I have a BT OBDII dongle, but I don't know if its supported.

What program/connection are you using to get that data? I bought the cable to connect a BT OBDII connector to the cable behind the cubby, but haven't gone any further than that. I have a BT OBDII dongle, but I don't know if its supported.

Right now, I am using the car’s built in CAN monitoring application. It is only accessible in diagnostic or developer mode, which is not something that you can get to without having access to tesla toolbox (Which only SCs and authorized body shops have at the moment), or by seriously hacking apart your car (like I’ve done).

This data is readily accessible on the car’s PT can bus, but nobody has yet created a reasonable complete “decoder ring” for those messages yet. (We know/have reverse engineered a few, including someone of the ones from my screenshot but most remain unidentified at this point).

The BT OBD interfaces are not really fast enough to stream the Tesla’s CAN data without dropping frames, but are fine for mostly static data... if you have one fan DB the needed cable to connect to your TDC connector under your CID), then get TMSpy. You’ll be able to see/decode at least some data. Note that the car’s actual OBD port is useless, so you do need to connect to the TDC to collect any actual data.

I recently got a panda, which can log up 3 busses at full speed over USB or WiFi; I am looking to make a logging app for it, but that will take some time. Their web based Cabana app is actually pretty handy too.

Got a call from the same guy from Fremont today. He assured me the car’s uncorkable, but it’s awaiting an update he has no control over, and thinks it may be ready in a few days. I asked if it had to do with when I unlocked 75 (recently). No. He apologized for all the trouble of me bringing the car in prematurely.

Later, SC calls—same guy from yesterday. Basically mirrored what Fremont said, including some nonsense about engineers or designers currently writing programming for my car and all former 60/70D cars and that’s what I’m waiting on. Funny, those cars are already being uncorked. Whatever.. tired of informing oblivious Tesla employees. It’s not their fault.. actually yeah it is, when they’re willfully ignorant to the forums and scoff at taking info from them. God forbid thinking outside the box when your company is being ambiguous about something big. I’m ranting... sorry.

So he basically tried to wrap it up there and asked how I’d like to arrange turning in the loaner. Um, well when am I supposed to know when to come back? He says Fremont may be reaching out to me. Couple weeks? Who knows...

Full disclosure: these guys are all nice and it’s all mostly friendly, I’m just rubbed wrong when my time’s wasted at no fault of my own.

Got a call from the same guy from Fremont today. He assured me the car’s uncorkable, but it’s awaiting an update he has no control over, and thinks it may be ready in a few days. I asked if it had to do with when I unlocked 75 (recently). No. He apologized for all the trouble of me bringing the car in prematurely.

Later, SC calls—same guy from yesterday. Basically mirrored what Fremont said, including some nonsense about engineers or designers currently writing programming for my car and all former 60/70D cars and that’s what I’m waiting on. Funny, those cars are already being uncorked. Whatever.. tired of informing oblivious Tesla employees. It’s not their fault.. actually yeah it is, when they’re willfully ignorant to the forums and scoff at taking info from them. God forbid thinking outside the box when your company is being ambiguous about something big. I’m ranting... sorry.

So he basically tried to wrap it up there and asked how I’d like to arrange turning in the loaner. Um, well when am I supposed to know when to come back? He says Fremont may be reaching out to me. Couple weeks? Who knows...

Full disclosure: these guys are all nice and it’s all mostly friendly, I’m just rubbed wrong when my time’s wasted at no fault of my own.

Based on everything we know about uncorking so far, this IMO sounds like complete nonsense (and also a “one lies, other swears by it” situation...).

Personally I would push them for specifically what it is that they think they’re waiting for...

Who knows, maybe their diagnostic Ethernet cable broke and they’re waiting on a replacement... or maybe the SC techs just don’t know how to do the uncork yet?

Then again, as long as you have a loaner, I guess just be patient... all seems rather silly though.

Reactions: Mickie
Based on everything we know about uncorking so far, this IMO sounds like complete nonsense (and also a “one lies, other swears by it” situation...).

Personally I would push them for specifically what it is that they think they’re waiting for...

Who knows, maybe their diagnostic Ethernet cable broke and they’re waiting on a replacement... or maybe the SC techs just don’t know how to do the uncork yet?

Then again, as long as you have a loaner, I guess just be patient... all seems rather silly though.
Yeah, they already want the loaner back and want me to pick up my corked ride, lol...

Oh well, thought I was uncorked by Tesla Mobile Service this morning.

BUT, went for a drive later and was obvious something was not completed... was half uncorked.:confused:

Trying again tomorrow afternoon and hopefully will have success.

I thought our local folks had this down, but it appears there is still room for errors.

I just had a chance to find some quiet roads and test out the performance using Power Tools. With my suspension set on Low and a 100% SOC, I'm pretty consistently able to hit 4.2 seconds 0-60. A few runs were in the 4.5 second range or so, and seemed to be more frequent when the suspension was at Standard height. Max power I've seen during the runs this evening was 349kW.

Last edited:
I just had a chance to find some quiet roads and test out the performance using Power Tools. With my suspension set on Low and a 100% SOC, I'm pretty consistently able to hit 4.2 seconds 0-60. A few runs were in the 4.5 second range or so, and seemed to be more frequent when the suspension was at Standard height. Max power I've seen during the runs this evening was 349kW.
Great stuff.
Bear in mind that PowerTools has a polling frequency of 0.25s (apparently) so that might explain the timing differences.

Reactions: jimmyz80
Right now, I am using the car’s built in CAN monitoring application. It is only accessible in diagnostic or developer mode, which is not something that you can get to without having access to tesla toolbox (Which only SCs and authorized body shops have at the moment), or by seriously hacking apart your car (like I’ve done).

This data is readily accessible on the car’s PT can bus, but nobody has yet created a reasonable complete “decoder ring” for those messages yet. (We know/have reverse engineered a few, including someone of the ones from my screenshot but most remain unidentified at this point).

The BT OBD interfaces are not really fast enough to stream the Tesla’s CAN data without dropping frames, but are fine for mostly static data... if you have one fan DB the needed cable to connect to your TDC connector under your CID), then get TMSpy. You’ll be able to see/decode at least some data. Note that the car’s actual OBD port is useless, so you do need to connect to the TDC to collect any actual data.

I recently got a panda, which can log up 3 busses at full speed over USB or WiFi; I am looking to make a logging app for it, but that will take some time. Their web based Cabana app is actually pretty handy too.
By OBD II being useless you mean no power, just a dead plug or as in no useful info comes out of it but still active? Also were is this mysterious OBD2 plug? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it...

By OBD II being useless you mean no power, just a dead plug or as in no useful info comes out of it but still active? Also were is this mysterious OBD2 plug? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it...

The useless OBDII is under the driver side dash almost directly above the dead pedal. From what I’ve read here, you can only get 12v from this plug. An ICE car would communicate info on the vehicle health using this. For a Tesla, the one behind the center console cubby does all that instead.

I’ve also read here that some of the oldest Model S don’t have the OBDII at all. I think it was added due to federal regulations.

Oh well, thought I was uncorked by Tesla Mobile Service this morning.

BUT, went for a drive later and was obvious something was not completed... was half uncorked.:confused:

Trying again tomorrow afternoon and hopefully will have success.

I thought our local folks had this down, but it appears there is still room for errors.
Sigh... Tesla Mobile Service out again today.

After another couple hours, technician declared defeat. He could not complete uncorking.:(

He gathered information to take back to the service center. Sounds like they may be taking the car in.

What's worrisome is what went wrong? Can I be sure nothing is misconfigured now?

Sigh... Tesla Mobile Service out again today.

After another couple hours, technician declared defeat. He could not complete uncorking.:(

He gathered information to take back to the service center. Sounds like they may be taking the car in.

What's worrisome is what went wrong? Can I be sure nothing is misconfigured now?

Oh now I need to figure out the API -- unless my SC can show me the dev screen to confirm it was uncorked. I suppose I could just feel the difference though. My 100D loaner is definitely faster than my 75D corked.

I'll only get my car tomorrow though. I dropped the car off at 840am and they started work on it at 130pm (backlog which they told me about). Definitely not enough time to uncork and do 1 year maintenance and swap tires.