Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, this is interesting. My 75D isn't scheduled for delivery to Canada until September (VIN 211XXX) so I'll definitely be on the lookout for which battery pack I'll get. So what are we all thinking? Will we have the option to pay to unlock the full 85KW battery (if equipped), or will it be a free upgrade via software update? If the full capacity doesn't get unlocked, does that mean it's safe to charge to 100% without worrying about battery degradation?

Just got off a call with the Tesla tech support (877-798-3752). Here are the results of that conversation:
- He said that all 75D's and 100D's will be receiving this performance upgrade (he didn't say if older non-DU00 qualified or not)
- My 75D does indeed have the new drive unit (DU00) and the software to unleash the performance (I am currently at 2017.28 c528869
- He also said that this software performance upgrade came in at version 17.26.76

This would explain that when I took delivery of my car on 7/10 at s/w version 17.24.28 the acceleration was no where near as fast as it was the next morning after I updated to 17.26.76.

I just found out about this powertools app, and I'll be sure to post results on here after a few runs.

Here is a quick 0-60 video in the meantime for those who want to count frames :)

Check with Tesla Service. They will tell you if you are flagged for the uncorking or not.

But they may not be right. Or you might get a different answer depending on where you live or with whom you speak. Like @turbosimon I have the new DU00 drive unit, the pre July 1 delivery date and the BTX5 battery. Inspired by the success in Irvine I called my service center early this morning. Two hours after their meetings today one of the senior folks returned my call to say:
  1. Eligibility for unlocking is being determined by corporate engineering, not the service center.
  2. My car is ineligible as determined by either its build configuration or its pre July 1st purchase date.
  3. If It were the build configuration they didn't know what in the build configuration creates the ineligibility.
  4. Updates are now being delivered over the air, not in the service center.
I suspect they are likely mistaken on some or all of the above.

For reference, @rsan's May build date and codes indicate having neither the new drive unit nor the new battery, but yet rsan received the update.

Last edited:
But they may not be right. Or you might get a different answer depending on where you live or with whom you speak. Like @turbosimon I have the new DU00 drive unit, the pre July 1 delivery date and the BTX5 battery. Inspired by the success in Irvine I called my service center early this morning. Two hours after their meetings today one of the senior folks returned my call to say:
  1. Eligibility for unlocking is being determined by corporate engineering, not the service center.
  2. My car is ineligible as determined by either its build configuration or its pre July 1st purchase date.
  3. If It were the build configuration they didn't know what in the build configuration creates the ineligibility.
  4. Updates are now being delivered over the air, not in the service center.
I suspect they are likely mistaken on some or all of the above.

For reference, @rsan's May build date and codes indicate having neither the new drive unit nor the new battery, but yet rsan received the update.

I've contacted Tesla Corp and Service several times and I would get a different response every time:

First, I was told that I don't have the correct HW since my 75D was built on 6/21/2017.
Second, I was told I have the correct HW and it will need to take it to Service center and get it programmed (this was a correct response by the way).
Third, I was told I have the HW and it will be uncorked OTA update.
Fourth, I was told I am not eligible for the upgrade

Then I took my car to a service center yesterday for another issue and asked the same question. And I finally got it!
Concern: Customer request uncork the battery upgrade.
Corrections: Vehicle Configuration Update performed configured change per article
Pay Type: Warranty

Before the uncorking my 75D's 0 to 60 was around 5.4 seconds. After the uncorking, here is the new time. 4.1 seconds! Well, I cheated a little by driving down wind....

Tesla.png

Just got off a call with the Tesla tech support (877-798-3752). Here are the results of that conversation:
- He said that all 75D's and 100D's will be receiving this performance upgrade (he didn't say if older non-DU00 qualified or not)
- My 75D does indeed have the new drive unit (DU00) and the software to unleash the performance (I am currently at 2017.28 c528869
- He also said that this software performance upgrade came in at version 17.26.76

This would explain that when I took delivery of my car on 7/10 at s/w version 17.24.28 the acceleration was no where near as fast as it was the next morning after I updated to 17.26.76.

I just found out about this powertools app, and I'll be sure to post results on here after a few runs.

Here is a quick 0-60 video in the meantime for those who want to count frames :)

25 frame = 0
173 frame = 60
148 frames 0-60
Video is 29.831fps
4.96 seconds

The same by timestamps
00:00.839
00:05.802
;)

So.. 5 seconds down from 5.4 for those without new DU (as a "thank you for buying Model S") and 4.2 for those that have it?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jack Tripper