Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, your one week old Model S is exactly what you ordered. If you thought it wasn't much different than a model 3, why did you buy it for $40,000 more? Maybe because you can't get a Model 3 until 400,000 others ahead of you do and you want to enjoy a Tesla now? Maybe you wanted a larger car? The Model S is always improving-- but you knew that before you ordered.

Indeed, that is why the smart move is to never buy a Tesla, if you care about having the latest for a while. Getting it right is near impossible with multiple product changes every quarter at random times and delivery times panning months.

It is just an impossible equation for customers who care about such things. Like buying an iPhone that instead of coming out once a year would be changed at random times every month...

So, I agree, smart people should know this and act accordingly. I certainly will. If I buy a next Tesla, it will have to be a real need, real must to buy at that time, otherwise it will just go terribly wrong so likely.

Impulse buying the I-Pace once available seems like a better bet.

Reactions: gowthamn
Except it's a $70k+ product, not a $3k laptop. It's tough with Tesla and their quarterly updates. Do you wait for next quarter then next quarter and so on since a brand new feature will be released shortly, and never end up buying? Or do accept that your car will be surpassed in a few months no matter what? Other cars are semi predictable in that generally new features are released on a Model Year basis with bigger features released every few years, as opposed to every 3 months.

How about a 150K product that became "obsolete" a few weeks later? :)

I bought my P100DL when it first came out, with AP1. A few weeks after taking delivery, AP2 was announced. Of course I wish I had ordered a few weeks later and was disappointed about missing out, but I am over the moon excited with what I purchased. I got exactly what I ordered and I have a HUGE grin on my face every time I get in my car.

Tesla did give me a small reward a few months later, making my car even faster with just a software update! You win some, you lose some...

I hope Tesla keeps on innovating and never stops. We'll whine here and there about missing out on features that are continually released, but in the end we are all driving amazing machines, we are all a part of history.

I hope Tesla keeps on innovating and never stops. We'll whine here and there about missing out on features that are continually released, but in the end we are all driving amazing machines, we are all a part of history.

Every successful company keeps on innovating. Massive amounts of constant changes have nothing to do with innovation, it is refusal to plan product roadmaps and lifecycles and use traditional demand levers (hence creating a need for untraditional demand levers) that is causing this situation. Tesla adds and removes features from their cars at a relentless pace, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

The innovation would not have stopped had Tesla, for example, in 2016 grouped the Model S facelift, 100 kWh battery and AP2 as one big upgrade moment. Like they did for D + A in 2014. Make that an annual moment so people can expect it (and use pricing to keep demand going for the previous version) and it would have made for a lot more satisfied customers in 2016... Instead they made it a demand lever for three consequtive quarters and a lot of people missed out...

There definitely is a customer satisfaction price Tesla has to play for the constant changes. It seems like a very risky thing to buy a Tesla at any time, given this tendency, if you care about having the latest or the greatest for a while. (Of course customers who do not care can rest easy.)

I see that they now include a 1 foot roll out for all zero to sixty times. When did this happen? They didn't used to for the lower performance cars. Is this part of the reason for the lower zero to sixty times?
Seems very likely that using the 1 foot roll out method would account for a reasonable amount of the improvement.
For the P100D the first 1 foot took 0.26s. I would assume this would be higher for non P models, maybe 0.3-0.4s.

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record - 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds! - Motor Trend

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
Indeed, that is why the smart move is to never buy a Tesla,

It's true while we can't predict the next Tesla update since they only announce price increase or discontinuing free supercharger access or a model (60) ahead of time but if you look at the history Tesla had been announcing something new every quarter to push sale. Last year there is refresh front, AP 2.0, waived destination fee and re-introduction of 60. This year, so far we see 100D, price drop for 75 and now new drive unit, Tesla seems to become more of a traditional car manufacturer but instead of yearly update it's quarterly update to push delivery number. That's despite Tesla valuation is not based on car produce??

The new 0-60 times sound almost as if Tesla is using the 100 kwh battery pack in all models now (software limited in the 75).
A little software update and you shave another 0.1 from the 100D. Just food for thoughts.
That would be a high cost if Tesla start sending 25 kWh extra with every car from now on, I believe Tesla regret the move they did with software limited 75 kWh battery.

New inverter in DU probably (electric motor, (simple, open)differential and inverter are integrated into one unit).
Tesla Model 3 exclusive leaked specs: 300kW+ inverter architecture putting its power capacity near Model S
So maybe it will be possible to upgrade when your current DU will be replaced under warranty for example?

Tesla-Drive-Unit.jpg

tesla-p85-motor.png

tesla-p85-motor-2.png

Last edited:
This log lacks discontinuation of the 60/60D, price drop of the 75D, inclusion of power lift gate, no smart suspension on 75/75D on April 17, 2017. Price increase of 100D in late April, and discontinuation of the 90D on June 8.

Is there a more thorough log?

Many 2017 changes need to be updated ... i.e.. no Brembor on base models etc. Just submit the updates to the wiki thread :cool:

I just picked up my 75D 2 weeks ago, so a little bummed out.

However, can't understand why, with this change to 75s they didn't update the model designation to 75+ and 75D+. It's a huge upgrade.

Also, why can't Tesla announce something this significant and make it clear whether any pre-announcement vehicles have the newer hardware and what is happening with in production cars so we don't have to waste time speculating.

Minor cosmetic changes are fine to just roll in to production. This change is not minor.