Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and I'm aware of it. The irritating part is that Tesla says "the only car that gets better with updates" and yet here we are again, another update to performance and it can't be applied to existing fleet just like AP1 to AP2

The car does get better with software updates. Are you really expecting them to make your car faster and give it more range via software? Tesla is known to over-promise but I don't think they've ever come close to insinuating that this would be the case. It gets better in terms of features like auto-homelink, EQ Improvements and additional options installed via software that the car didn't originally ship with.

Summary of updates here ... Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X

Without going into details, a Tesla spokesperson confirmed to Electrek that they are rolling out new software and hardware improvements that are enabling those performance enhancements. Since the enhancements include hardware upgrades, those new specs are for new vehicles being built today and not the current fleet. The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:
  • Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
The bigger Model X, which is only available with dual motor, is also seeing some new performance enhancements:
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds.
It’s another example of Tesla regularly introducing upgrades to its vehicles without waiting for new model year. Interestingly, those upgrades are also coming just ahead of the launch of the Model 3 and since they are most important on the base versions of the vehicles, it looks like Tesla might be looking to further differentiate its higher-end models, Model S and Model X, with its newest less expensive Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I do wonder what changes they made. Same packs right? IIRC the new cells are taller, and am guessing will not fit the current pack size.
So, new inverter? PEMs?

Possibly an inverter upgrade like the Model 3 ...:cool:
Tesla Model 3 exclusive leaked specs: 300kW+ inverter architecture putting its power capacity near Model S

At a power electronic convention when he was working on the Model S powertrain, Straubel said:

“We are increasing the current rating (of the inverter) that’s the most tangible thing you see from a performance point of view. Every time we can push up the current in the inverter a little bit, we are able to get a little bit higher motor torque and that translate into a little bit faster 0 to 60 time, more responsive acceleration and those sort of things.”

The engineer went on to describe how Tesla is using off-the-shelf power electronics for the system:

“The power rating increases are largely enabled by better and better power electronics – transistors or IGBTs which is what we are using. As those improve, we can continue pushing up the current rating and continue increasing performance. If we can make the inverter just half a percent more efficient, that’s half a percent less battery pack that we have to put in the car or half a percent more range that the customer gets to have so it a very strong and virtuous feedback cycle with high efficiency.”

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn and e-FTW
Humm, i just took delivery of my s100d 2 days ago. A 0.1s boost isn't too much but a part of me do hope that it can be done via a software push.

In any case, I am happy to see Tesla continuing to improve their products. These kind of upgrades will actually help all Tesla retain value as people continue to associate Tesla with the best cars.

So how much $ hit are existing inventory 75/75D taking? In the past, Tesla would price out 1s of 0-60 between $10K-$20K (e.g. 85D-P85D, or 85 to P85, or P90D to P90DL). Will there be some brand new 75's starting at $60K before rebates and referrals, or does Tesla think there are still people who would rather get a car a month earlier in exchange for being 1s slower 0-60 (and no high powered charger which it seems is also becoming standard)? OR, is Tesla retrofitting the inventory cars?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kacey Green
Indeed, the experience is very different from other cars and products where usually you can plan your purchase to a product-release cycle (annual or otherwise). Tesla makes several changes every quarter to their products and uses quarterly changes as demand levers. All this will lead to an unplannable situation for a buyer. Anything can happen at any time and with long delivery times for the product itself, it becomes a game of luck.

in other words, it's exactly like buying literally any tech product on the market. egads, the horror.

I look forward to traditional dealerships and model years one day. Much less stressful.

wnfyyiakckla7hs0ptqb.jpg

Summary of updates here ... Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X

Without going into details, a Tesla spokesperson confirmed to Electrek that they are rolling out new software and hardware improvements that are enabling those performance enhancements. Since the enhancements include hardware upgrades, those new specs are for new vehicles being built today and not the current fleet. The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:
  • Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
The bigger Model X, which is only available with dual motor, is also seeing some new performance enhancements:
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds.
It’s another example of Tesla regularly introducing upgrades to its vehicles without waiting for new model year. Interestingly, those upgrades are also coming just ahead of the launch of the Model 3 and since they are most important on the base versions of the vehicles, it looks like Tesla might be looking to further differentiate its higher-end models, Model S and Model X, with its newest less expensive Model 3.

Well, my one-week old 75D will not be much different than the Model 3. I just wasted $40k!! Thanks Elon.

Last edited:
in other words, it's exactly like buying literally any tech product on the market. egads, the horror.
Except it's a $70k+ product, not a $3k laptop. It's tough with Tesla and their quarterly updates. Do you wait for next quarter then next quarter and so on since a brand new feature will be released shortly, and never end up buying? Or do accept that your car will be surpassed in a few months no matter what? Other cars are semi predictable in that generally new features are released on a Model Year basis with bigger features released every few years, as opposed to every 3 months.

As a recent (delivery mid June) Model S buyer with the 60 (software limited 75) battery (dual motor), I am a little bummed missed out on a 1.1 second 0-60 drop by a few weeks.

But I can't say I am surprised - I expected there would be some improvements (including speed) right before (and probably right after as well) Model 3 debut.

So if I expected changes why didn't I wait until after Model 3 debut to order Model S? Two reasons: 1) I got the last of the Model S 60Ds and had to have air suspension. As you know, that option was dropped from the 75 after the 60s were put to pasture. That means that to get the air suspension now, I would have to get the 100D. With the other options I had (SAS, UW seats, PUP, paint, etc) a 100D would have commanded too much of a premium. 2) its a tech product. Yes it's $100k instead of $500-$900 for a phone or a few $K for a computer...but it's still tech! It will get better - and cheaper. As people have said here, compare a 2017 75/75D to a P85 from a just a couple of years ago. One costs $75-80k and the other commanded $110k or more. And they perform similarly and have similar range. And the current car has standard features like all glass roof and power lift gate.

So if I had held out I would have had to spend another $15k to upgrade to a 100D (or slightly less for the 90D before it too went away)....and in 3 months or 6 months or 9 months had passed...there will be more/better/faster stuff added. If you wait, especially with Tesla, you will always be waiting.

It's not a secret. We know they change when ever...usually around the start of a new quarter. And Elon said if you can't accept that, then Tesla may not be the car for you because they are not going to stop.

I am still hopeful that perhaps we will get some speed bump through software alone. I think if it's possible - we will get it. If we don't get it, then it's probably not possible. Maybe it's only a few tenths w/o the new hardware. I'd still take it. But if I don't get any speed bump...I'll still love my new Tesla and won't sweat it.

I was the beneficiary of a small change (not so cool as a 1 sec 0-60 drop)...the console sliding cover is carbon fiber to match my carbon fiber decor. I understand that prior to sometime in May, these were matte black even if you had carbon fiber trim. So I got the new matching cover and I like it better. It's a small thing I know but there are probably some people who got cars in March or even April who wished they had the matching cover. Big or small, Tesla will keep improving things. Sometime you "win" and sometimes you "lose". But you will always get the best car that Tesla is making at that point in time.

Reactions: GSP and Kacey Green
Guys, remember that 0-60 times is mostly bragging rights. Seat of the pants is still impressed by my “slow” S70, rated at 5.4 seconds or something. And folks have been saying that those numbers were underrated. So it may be a 5.0 car. Maybe the new numbers are just more accurate, and part of the 1 second+ drop is just recalibration of the manufacturer numbers?

In the end, good for new car owners, but I still love mine. And all of you that feel this is bad because you just got your car, remember that the most important bits (full self-driving hardware), you have. That is more valuable than a 0-60 time.
Oh, and you drive the best car out there, bar none! ;-)

Name me one tech product from any manufacturer that changes multiple times a quarter (features-wise).

Then name me one in the $100k+ range.

Then name me one that does that and has a 1-6 month delivery time, meaning the product will likely change - even many times - before you even get it.

I can't think of any, other than a Tesla. I can't think of any even in the small electronics space. Nor certainly any car that would do that on a regular basis (on the feature-level).

It is a myth that every tech product on the market changes like this. Reality is, almost none of them do. Most change in a 6-18 month change cycle, not a 1-2 month one.

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60 and Pezpunk