Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to offer a different viewpoint -- I ordered my car shortly after the perf upgrades were announced. At that time they were saying it was "hardware and software" -- which now appears to be a complete lie, as they've said it's software only. But, the fact that they were saying it was partly a hardware was part of my decision to order a new S rather than saving money and getting an old one. (It was a small part of that decision, but it was one factor among many.)

So Tesla has managed to handle this in a way that makes everybody unhappy. For all of you who purchased before 7/1, you feel treated unfairly. And I, who have what you want, feel treated unfairly because I could have gotten a much cheaper used model and gotten the same thing that I thought I had to buy new to get.

Lesson for Tesla: You're never going to make everybody happy all the time. You're trying to make money off of us after all. But how about one simple rule: Just don't lie, and treat your customers equally. If it's a software change, don't say it's hardware just to goose the quarterly sales numbers. If you're going to uncork older cars, have a really clear policy, tell us what the policy is, and stick to it. Otherwise you lose one of your key advantages over other manufacturers; if we're going to get screwed over, manipulated, and treated unfairly, we might as well go to an old school car dealer and start haggling. At least we know what we're in for.

Who reported this being done for CPO's? I thought it was only inventory cars. If they do it for CPO's, that would mean they can upgrade even much older cars (which would be good news for me, we have a 12/16 75D). I'm hoping they offer this to older cars, though it is totally their option since they delivered me the car I agreed to buy (sans automatic wipers which they still owe me) - unlike the P85D which was supposed to have 691hp and an 85KWh battery but Tesla delivered 463hp and 81.5KWh (77KWh usable) - there they lied and ripped off customers completely.
I believe uncorking could be done to any facelifted model

Tesla has totally screwed this up.
Part of my concern is that I bought a 75D at a time that I wanted SAS but it was not available (unless I upgraded to a 100D) but a few weeks later was included in the base configuration along with the 1 sec performance upgrade all at lower cost because Tesla was pushing to meet quarterly goals.

Yet now, the car I have with the same hardware is selling for less money and I am denied the performance upgrade.

Sorry, not a good feeling.

Same situation. SAS was removed for a few months in early 2017 and I believe those that purchased a 75 model Tesla at that time, including myself, got screwed.

I wanted SAS but it wasn't an option and I purchased the PUP solely for the liftgate and LED/headlight reasons. Picked up the car mid-June and a month later new performance and SAS and the liftgate/LED fog/headlight is included... Took a major hit in just a months time over the typical new car depreciation. I love the car but very salty on the situation.

On top of that I ordered my Tesla build with a delivery date of late July/early August but was convinced by the DS to take an inventory model right away. I tried countless times to get them to uncork my car because had I kept my original build, I would have received the new performance upgrade but I helped by taking an inventory model. No uncorking for me.

@Krash , I would be interested in your take on my situation.
Purchased without finance on 6/28 an inventory model with a vin 193XXX. Was given a delivery slot of 7pm on 6/30 but as it was a Friday evening I asked for Sat 7/1 delivery to avoid huge rush hour traffic . I was told that there wasnt another delivery spot open for a few more days so had to take delivery that evening.
I then the following day 7/1 find the announcement from Tesla for cars delivered on 7/1 and after . Clearly i was played and used to increase the quarterly numbers. If i hadnt turned up or had been delayed a few hours I would have qualified!
I have written twice to the executive email address and to date still havent had the decency of a reply. After spending close to 90k I feel very disappointed and quite honestly disillusioned.

I would be very interested in your take.

I have been pretty open that I don't think that Tesla has a legal obligation to unlock most older cars. Even if there were no warranty liability for making cars faster, Tesla can make them faster whenever they want. They can segment them however they want. They could even make them faster on odd days and slower on even days if they want. But I hope they don't do that as it would create confusion and mistrust, and certainly Tesla corporate culture of miscommunication and lack of transparency is creating some confusion and mistrust, both with customers and their own service centers. This is super unfortunate as trust and culture has been such a giant differentiator between Tesla and competitive manufacture dealer models. Consequently I understand so many being upset.

I really like Tesla's culture of innovation, even frequent randomized control trials of their innovations on us. I waited several years because I didn't want miss some of the earlier innovations, but I bought knowing that AP2.5 and an interior refresh were likely, and hopefully even more amazing stuff. Someday I will buy another and that frequent innovation results in an even better car for me and a more competitive marketplace for everyone. I know this isn't what you asked.

Clearly i was played and used to increase the quarterly numbers...I would be very interested in your take.

Tesla sells about 300 cars a day, so there could be several thousand owners that got "encouraged" to take their deliveries early. The regional people that encouraged you to take delivery early probably didn't know that the cars were going to be uncorked on 1 July. But the same corporate culture and executives that created the incentive that pushed thousands of people to buy their cars sooner also made a decision to uncork the cars on 1 July (or 15 June if I understand correctly in the UK). In a similar situation are people that requested a July delivery date but got it in June. Also related are folks who placed new orders after 1 July because someone at Tesla mistakenly told them that the uncorked cars needed new hardware, so they skipped inventory and CPO vehicles. My guess is the number hanging out here on the forum is less than fifty that could make an argument.

There are enough corporate escalations that Tesla will likely not introduce such a significant change on the first of the quarter again. I just hope that the complaints don't curtail Tesla's willingness to push the performance envelope of their cars.

Last edited:
Thanks @Krash for a very well thought out and sensible reply .I really do appreciate your view.
I do not think that the regional guy knew anything about the uncorking and probably found out a few minutes before I did. However they were definitely under pressure to complete as many sales by quarter end as possible.

I think it has been a decision that hasnt been thought through properly by Corporate particularly when one considers that a car "purchased " three months before mine but delivered a few hours after mine qualifies (even from inventory).

My issue is exacerbated by the silence from Corporate in answer to my complaint. I have sent 2 emails via the Tesla site to the Executives and havent had the decency of a reply. I called my Regional office twice but was told I had to speak to Corporate as they are unable to do anything about it.
I just feel a little disillusioned which is a great shame as the car is such a joy to drive.

Here's what I got...utter nonsense. Hardware red herring and discusses produced which would mean the delivery cut off is nonsensical though possibly true for my car. The "at this time" provides a smidgen of hope :

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support, I apologize for the delay in response.

Tesla works hard to provide software updates to constantly improve the performance of customer vehicles, but physical hardware updates are also introduced into the line over time. The enhanced 0-60 feature indicated is based on newer hardware for vehicles produced more recently than your Model S, and as such your vehicle isn’t able to take advantage of these improvements at this time.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
Here's what I got...utter nonsense. Hardware red herring and discusses produced which would mean the delivery cut off is nonsensical though possibly true for my car. The "at this time" provides a smidgen of hope :

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support, I apologize for the delay in response.

Tesla works hard to provide software updates to constantly improve the performance of customer vehicles, but physical hardware updates are also introduced into the line over time. The enhanced 0-60 feature indicated is based on newer hardware for vehicles produced more recently than your Model S, and as such your vehicle isn’t able to take advantage of these improvements at this time.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support

I still havent had a reply to my 3 emails !! It will be interesting to see their response (if i ever get one) to my request as my vin is 193**** and is way later than those that have had it done and were delivered post 7/1 . I saw a vin with 185**** that apparently had been uncorked.
Maybe the reason I havent had the decency of a reply is because they cant use the same excuse in my case.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift