Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
man im sorry to hear that. as a new development. i talked to them over the weekend. they gave me the option to put my money back into my custom build, but that may (most likely) lost the financing percentage i got on my tesla loan- not a big deal. but my main concern was my new inventory model (confirmed to have the slower power train) was about 193k on the vin number and that i may lose the fed tax credit if i changed it now to a custom build. i suppose thats something, but still not im backed into a corner to buy the new inventory model rather than a brand new one with new hardware. still not sure what i should do. i'm really interested in the fed tax credit. i suppose the 5.2sec model isn't that big of a deal
and just to be clear, even though we have the option to go back to a custom made car my fiancee doesn't agree that all that hassle and time lost for delivery is really worth a 1sec diff in the 0-60 time, and i tend to agree. the biggest thing is, that i feel taken advantage of, but i dont think there is much they can do to help with that. maybe a free extended charging plug :p or free wall mount charger hah

I think the latest estimates puts US sales at around 130k.

VIN counting doesn't work well since you have to look at all models produced by Tesla: Roadster, Model S, and Model X. Then you have to look at just US sales.
yeah i saw a link that showed a schedule of sales. i got about 130k as well. even with little to no risk of losing the rebate, i will stick with my new inventory car even with the lower 0-60 performance. i'm getting leather seats rather than the fabric at the same price of a custom build. oh well, nothing i could have done with this situation, just sucks it happened to me and others.

and just to be clear, even though we have the option to go back to a custom made car my fiancee doesn't agree that all that hassle and time lost for delivery is really worth a 1sec diff in the 0-60 time, and i tend to agree. the biggest thing is, that i feel taken advantage of, but i dont think there is much they can do to help with that. maybe a free extended charging plug :p or free wall mount charger hah

I am more interested in the new motor and battery improvements. The extra 1 seconds is nice as well.

interesting. so the 193k # at the end of my vin is the total sales globally, not just in the us? i.e. this number isn't representative of how many were sold in the us and thus qual for the fed tax break? this is interesting news! ill look for that thread in the model 3 section, but if you have an idea where it is, id greatly appreciate it! :p

The tax credit is not about when they produce car #200,000 for sale in the US, and it just doesn't apply to the Model S sales, it applies to all EV sales by a brand, so the Model X and Model 3 count against the total. Also the $7500 tax credit lasts for 2 business quarters after they hit car #200,000, and the remainder of the quarter where they hit 200,000. The incentive remains at 1/2 for another 2 quarters, then 1/4 for 2 more quarters after that.

So when they hit 200,000 the $7500 incentive will last for between 6 and 9 months, then phase out over a year. Estimates say Tesla is unlikely to hit the mark until late this year or early next year. If they sell car #200,000 on Jan 1, the incentive will remain in full until the end of September 2018, then will taper off until the end of September 2019.

There are threads on the forum about the details.

In short, if you buy this year, you will get the tax credit. Though the tax credit just wipes out your federal income tax up to $7500. If you owe less than $7500 in taxes, you will not get the entire credit. I didn't get the entire credit because of my tax deductions.

The feds also allow you to deduct either your state income taxes or your sales tax. I live in a state with no income tax, so I deduct sales tax. Last year I had a big sales tax deduction because of the car purchase that brought down my taxable income more than my deductions usually do, then with the credit, it wiped out my taxes owed without using up the entire credit.

Here is an estimator of the phase out by automaker:
US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

I think the latest estimates puts US sales at around 130k.

VIN counting doesn't work well since you have to look at all models produced by Tesla: Roadster, Model S, and Model X. Then you have to look at just US sales.

I'm not sure the Roadsters count. The incentive count starts at a certain date and I think most of the Roadsters were built before the start of the program. I could be wrong about that, but if they do count, it's a very small part of the total.

battery improvements? was the range affected in addition to the 0-60 time?

If the new 75 is actually a software limited 90, then it will affect the range after they allow removing the software restriction. If it is still a 75 battery, range won't be affected much. If the new inverter and drive unit is more efficient, it might add a few miles to the range, but it would be minimal.

I'm not sure the Roadsters count. The incentive count starts at a certain date and I think most of the Roadsters were built before the start of the program. I could be wrong about that, but if they do count, it's a very small part of the total.

If the new 75 is actually a software limited 90, then it will affect the range after they allow removing the software restriction. If it is still a 75 battery, range won't be affected much. If the new inverter and drive unit is more efficient, it might add a few miles to the range, but it would be minimal.
i see! thats interesting. i wonder if they will disclose whether or not it is a limited 90. that could explain the quicker sprint time. but if thats true, will they really allow removing of the software restriction? that doesn't sound likely since we could all buy 90's for the price of a 75. i read your last note on the tax rebate. very informative! thank you!

• Helpful
Reactions: MountainRoad

Any proof that the new 75's are limited 90's or is this just a hunch?

Reactions: jdowell362
The tax credit is not about when they produce car #200,000 for sale in the US, and it just doesn't apply to the Model S sales, it applies to all EV sales by a brand, so the Model X and Model 3 count against the total. Also the $7500 tax credit lasts for 2 business quarters after they hit car #200,000, and the remainder of the quarter where they hit 200,000. The incentive remains at 1/2 for another 2 quarters, then 1/4 for 2 more quarters after that.

So when they hit 200,000 the $7500 incentive will last for between 6 and 9 months, then phase out over a year. Estimates say Tesla is unlikely to hit the mark until late this year or early next year. If they sell car #200,000 on Jan 1, the incentive will remain in full until the end of September 2018, then will taper off until the end of September 2019.

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

Sorry to tell you but it's just 3-6 months full credit, after the 200k mark is hit. The rest of the quarter in which the 200 thousandth sale was and then another quarter. So if they sell #200,000 on January 1st, the halved credit will start out July 1st, until Jan 1st 2019, when the incentives drop to $1,875 for another 6 months.

The real bad thing is that the timeframe would be the same, if they reached 200k in February, or March, but I expect them to hit the magic number some time in January, or early February. So maybe they will hold off on topping 200k US sales until May and squeeze in some EU/China/Canada sales? Probably not.

So better get your car before July 1st 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
I think this last software release (17.26.76) may have unlocked the speed improvements on the 75's with the needed hardware. Here's why I think that. I have a loaner 75D that I got from the service center on 6/30. When I picked it up it only had around 20 miles on it.

This morning, I got an alert update on the car about the update. After I installed it, I feel like the performance in acceleration is vastly improved. It's raining here, so I didn't go 100% on hitting the floor with the pedal but definitely felt much more like the 90D I drove in a test drive.

I don't have a timing device to tell you empirically, but it's certainly feels like a huge differences. I am waiting for the 75D I ordered to be delivered yet (my tesla had a delivery date by 7/8, still not here) and now have much more hope that it has the right hardware for the performance improvements.

Also, some mentioned more range may be possible, but didn't notice any change in range post software update.

Interesting.... I think this is the second older 75D loaner that a forum member has says felt more like a 90D. Wonder what gives? I haven't heard of any actual 75D owners saying they have noticed an acceleration improvement... Yet.....

I think this last software release (17.26.76) may have unlocked the speed improvements on the 75's with the needed hardware. Here's why I think that. I have a loaner 75D that I got from the service center on 6/30. When I picked it up it only had around 20 miles on it.

This morning, I got an alert update on the car about the update. After I installed it, I feel like the performance in acceleration is vastly improved. It's raining here, so I didn't go 100% on hitting the floor with the pedal but definitely felt much more like the 90D I drove in a test drive.

I don't have a timing device to tell you empirically, but it's certainly feels like a huge differences. I am waiting for the 75D I ordered to be delivered yet (my tesla had a delivery date by 7/8, still not here) and now have much more hope that it has the right hardware for the performance improvements.

Also, some mentioned more range may be possible, but didn't notice any change in range post software update.
i'd be eager to hear what you have to say when yours is delivered

I was told my 75D (build date of 6/21) has the new HW. I don't see any performance improvements after the 17.26.76 SW update. I had a friend timed 0 to 60 but no improvement (around 5.4. seconds). Tesla told me the new SW will be available in 2 to 3 weeks.

Reactions: jdowell362
UPDATE: Well, I got the 17.26.76 update today. The update message was a very generic "software enhancements and bug fixes" type notice--nothing about, oh we just shave an entire second off of your 0-60 time. You certainly, would think they would mention that fact if it was true. So I took it for a spin--does it feel faster, well yes it does, but the power of suggestion--even when you are as skeptical as I, is a very powerful thing.
If I am a betting man, Jesse from Tesla support just told me whatever he thought would get me off the phone fastest.. Disappointing that even though I spent 20 minutes on the phone, and asked him to confirm what he was telling me was correct--in all likelihood it is not.