Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can look up the codes here or manually under Show All possible options. Once you get the car you can lookup all the codes in Visible Tesla if no other way.

Yeah, there used to be more codes there. I don't think the contactors are problematic. The new drive units are due to the Model 3 going to be produced at 500,000 units a year. Those economies of scale are spilling over into the other models by the way of new parts. Also Tesla is governing all the drive units and batteries for not only safety but for product differentiation. I think the "uncorking" of the 75D is to give more folks a reason to stick with the more expensive cars.

You have the new drive unit. Why you have been denied 7 times for uncorking? It's that abnormal?

You have the new drive unit. Why you have been denied 7 times for uncorking? It's that abnormal?
My car is unusual. Tesla announced that cars produced after 21 Jun will have the new drive unit and get the highest new performance. Some older cars are also getting performance increases, although maybe not as high. My car was built on 15 June and has the new drive unit, probably on the very first day DU00 ewnt into production. So no one knows what that means. And that is why I keep asking. Nobody is telling me that I will never get it. I just can't get any answers. I suspect Tesla is testing a staged rollout of performance increases and I will get it eventually.

When you say "Uncorking". Are you talking about the 75D cars that have the 5 second 0-60 and being able to improve those? or are you saying you can further improve the current new 75D (0-60 4.2)?
I don't think you will be improving on the 4.2 times without outside help that voids your warranty. Tesla uses that term or the term "battery performance update" to get more power and lower 0-60 times out of cars that didn't get that increase at the factory. They can't do it over the air. Owners have to take the car into the service center. Your car will already have it done.

Reactions: John G
Looks like older 75D are not included in the uncorking. Which based on what I have been reading I pretty much thought was the case. We have a Oct 2016 75D ap1 car . We are getting the 12500 mile service tomorrow, and when I asked our service tech about the uncorking was informed that it is for newer 75's only. No reaal surprise there just thought I would share the info. I asked if there was even a moderate improvement in performance/ software update for the older cars and was told no.

According to the service invoice, Walter Floresguerra was the service advisor. Try to get hold of him. Feel free to reference my Invoice Reference Number. My invoice clearly shows the uncorking was done to my 75D and I have much better performance now.

View attachment 238568

View attachment 238575
Boy I'm having a pickle of a time getting a hold of the right person here in Denver. 3 people at my local service center are confusing this with a 60 to 75kw upgrade. I've tried my best to politely explain the difference but no luck.

I just called the costa mesa service center and gave them your reference number and they are forwarding it to my local service center. Should get a call back within the next day or so.

My car is a 75D built in late May so I hope I can jump on this!

Boy I'm having a pickle of a time getting a hold of the right person here in Denver. 3 people at my local service center are confusing this with a 60 to 75kw upgrade. I've tried my best to politely explain the difference but no luck.

I just called the costa mesa service center and gave them your reference number and they are forwarding it to my local service center. Should get a call back within the next day or so.

Let me know what they tell you. My 75D went into production on 14 June and came out 19 June. I was told by a SC in Houston that mine wasn't flagged for uncorking. This was about three weeks ago. Not sure if that has changed.

I think you've gotta have the new DU. I think the 85kwh battery pack is a red herring in terms of 4.1s 0-60. I'm sure it helps but it isn't related. They seem to be able to deliver these times using the old battery which is great because due to my driving style, I'm working on getting a new DU as soon as possible and I'm going to insist on one of these newer ones. Probably will take me a year of continuing to floor it constantly. :D

I am glad I could help. Hopefully this will work out for you.

My Model S 75 rear wheel drive was delivered July 2nd and when I called the service center to see if my VIN can be "performance uncorked", they said that was only for 75D cars and that there was no update they could apply to my rear wheel drive Model S that was built on June 21st... bummer...

My Model S 75 rear wheel drive was delivered July 2nd and when I called the service center to see if my VIN can be "performance uncorked", they said that was only for 75D cars and that there was no update they could apply to my rear wheel drive Model S that was built on June 21st... bummer...

I was informed that my June 26th build date RWD 75 should be capable of the current performance rating of 4.3 from factory. It seems as though there's some confusion between this. I actually made an appointment after being told that I would need to on the phone by both Costs Mesa service AND Tesla vehicle support. Arrived at my appointment and after about 20 minutes the service advisor told me that it should already have what's necessary. He seemed confused and had to research it. I left cause I couldn't stand there and argue what I've read and heard. All that said, I do not THINK it does sub 5 0-60 but I will time it later this week.

It is what it is... If we get the performance gains in our late June rear wheel drive Model S 75's - awesome. If not - we got what we paid for. It would just be nice if there wasn't so much confusion around it and we knew exactly what we own lol. I think THAT is the most frustrating part of it for those of us who are really into cars and their specs. Doesn't change the enjoyment of the car, but would be nice knowing...

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I was informed that my June 26th build date RWD 75 should be capable of the current performance rating of 4.3 from factory. It seems as though there's some confusion between this. I actually made an appointment after being told that I would need to on the phone by both Costs Mesa service AND Tesla vehicle support. Arrived at my appointment and after about 20 minutes the service advisor told me that it should already have what's necessary. He seemed confused and had to research it. I left cause I couldn't stand there and argue what I've read and heard. All that said, I do not THINK it does sub 5 0-60 but I will time it later this week.

I just got off the phone with my service center and they stated that what your service center stated was not accurate unless your VIN has a tab called "performance uncork" in their system. He checked mine and the tab is not there. He then checked a 75D that was made around the same time as my car and the tab WAS present. So it would appear my rear wheel drive 75 doesn't have this - oh well...

I just got off the phone with my service center and they stated that what your service center stated was not accurate unless your VIN has a tab called "performance uncork" in their system. He checked mine and the tab is not there. He then checked a 75D that was made around the same time as my car and the tab WAS present. So it would appear my rear wheel drive 75 doesn't have this - oh well...

Well I have confused my self in the matter. I'm not too hung up on the performance increase because I could honestly have it already and not even know!! However, here is a quote from Tesla: "The update you are referring to regarding the performance increase applies to all vehicles manufactured after 6/19/2017. It looks like your vehicle was manufactured on 6/26/17, therefore your vehicle does have the hardware that allows for increased performance." So in summary based on ..it allows it but doesn't have it and it's not allowed. Crystal!

Well I have confused my self in the matter. I'm not too hung up on the performance increase because I could honestly have it already and not even know!! However, here is a quote from Tesla: "The update you are referring to regarding the performance increase applies to all vehicles manufactured after 6/19/2017. It looks like your vehicle was manufactured on 6/26/17, therefore your vehicle does have the hardware that allows for increased performance." So in summary based on ..it allows it but doesn't have it and it's not allowed. Crystal!

This may very well be the case. I was actually at my local Service Center after work today and was talking to the Service Manager and he said while the "uncorking tab" did not show up on his screen for my VIN, he says, there is no way to know if Tesla may choose to unlock some extra performance down the road with an update.