Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so just an FYI for what it's worth:

I received a MS75 as a loaner yesterday from my SC. It was from the dedicated demo fleet for the local mall showroom. My salesman gave the SC permission for me to take it while my MS75D was in for service. The MS75 loaner felt much quicker off the line than mine. I checked the manufacture date and it was made on 7/17, so this should be the higher performance version, so it made sense.

Fast forward to later that day and I was contacted by the SC to tell me they now had their official service loaner, a MX75D, available now and they were going to deliver it to me and swap it out with the sales demo unit.

Now I'm driving this MX75D and it feels just as fast as the new MS75 I just had. I checked the manufacture date and it's 5/17.

This should not have been the higher performance version. Since it seems just as fast to me, I'm guessing it was upgraded AFTER manufacture somehow. Not sure if it was software or hardware, or a little of both. FYI, they are both running 17.32.6ca28227 software.

With a 75D AP1 VIN 151xxx I have some skin in this game, but I'm not getting too excited just yet.

It's possible that the specs for the CPO cars are being auto-populated from model code, and are erroneously pulling figures for current 75Ds for the website.

In other words, when they list a 75D they don't hand-write the entire listing, but rather select Model from a drop down. It might not be sophisticated enough to differentiate between different flavours of 75D.

I sure hope I'm wrong though...
Good point. I do also hope you're entirely wrong :]

For what it's worth, I escalated a question regarding the over the air update to the executive team on mytesla. Below is the reply I just received.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

The update you are referring to applies to vehicles that were produced in July of this year or later. It appears as though your vehicle was produced in February of this year and therefore does not contain the hardware capable of receiving this update.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know!

Regards,

Nolan Christensen | Office of the President
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538
24/7 Support 1-877-79-TESLA

[email protected]

• Helpful
Reactions: Dan60D
For what it's worth, I escalated a question regarding the over the air update to the executive team on mytesla. Below is the reply I just received.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

The update you are referring to applies to vehicles that were produced in July of this year or later. It appears as though your vehicle was produced in February of this year and therefore does not contain the hardware capable of receiving this update.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know!

Regards,

Nolan Christensen | Office of the President
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538
24/7 Support 1-877-79-TESLA

[email protected]

If possible, I would follow this up with: "Then how are all the inventory and CPO cars being advertised as including this change?"

Good idea, something isn't right here..

It isn't, that's the problem here. I hate to be negative, but this is one big thing I hate about on-going production changes, your car can be made a day earlier, and you'll miss out on some big features. Tesla has been hush hush on this issue from the day they announced it and that's not good for their customers who already bought the product. Either they tell the truth on what's going on or offer something for the customers.

Krash: any updates from your escalation?

You have to add "?redirect=no" (without quotes) to the end of the URL of Tesla car listings before you post them. Otherwise the person wanting to view the link has to add it before they press enter to resolve the link. If not and the person wanting to see the link is in another region, that person get redirected to their own regional page where that car isn't eligible to be sold. Hence it disappears.

...Krash: any updates from your escalation?
No but my escalation is unofficial and considering some updated information I sent over I would be surprised if I now hear before Wednesday. I actually think that the longer mine takes the better. Most of the "no" answers come back pretty quickly. Even my previous escalation though corporate engineering didn't take this long. I know that is little consolation to everyone else.

...The update you are referring to applies to vehicles that were produced in July of this year or later...
I am kind of surprised that they are saying produced in July instead of June 19th. I would have thought they would have a form for this. I specifically mentioned in my notes that understanding the above I wanted clarification on some additional issues.

..."Then how are all the inventory and CPO cars being advertised as including this change?"...
And I did ask a question similar to this which engineering did not address.

Last edited:
The fact that Tesla is all cloak and dagger about this doesn't bode well either. Tweetboy would've taken to his account and touted the uncorking surprise regarding older 75 cars awhile ago. Unless they're still trying to figure out a way to do it with the least harm. Maybe they're thinking of offering a path similar to the P85D Ludicrous option so people aren't left in the cold, so to speak.

I don't know.. I get the feeling nothing will be done unless owners gather their torches and pitchforks and head, figuratively, to Palo Alto. Prove me wrong, Musk.

Reactions: Detay
The fact that Tesla is all cloak and dagger about this doesn't bode well either. Tweetboy would've taken to his account and touted the uncorking surprise regarding older 75 cars awhile ago. Unless they're still trying to figure out a way to do it with the least harm. Maybe they're thinking of offering a path similar to the P85D Ludicrous option so people aren't left in the cold, so to speak.

I don't know.. I get the feeling nothing will be done unless owners gather their torches and pitchforks and head, figuratively, to Palo Alto. Prove me wrong, Musk.
Tiki torches?

Back on topic ... we really need to find out what the story is with the CPO cars.
If they really aren't 4.2s then Tesla will be legally exposed for describing as such in the ads.
If they are 4.2s then obviously a software upgrade is all that's required.

Also, show some respect to Elon.

Last edited:
Tiki torches?

Back on topic ... we really need to find out what the story is with the CPO cars.
If they really aren't 4.2s then Tesla will be legally exposed for describing as such in the ads.
If they are 4.2s then obviously a software upgrade is all that's required.

Also, show some respect to Elon.
Respect is mutual.