Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has contradicted themselves with that statement. If they indeed uncork CPOs then the list of VINs is most definitely not static. This suggests whoever you spoke with wasn't being honest.
All that means is that Tesla can increase the performance of foreign cars on July 1st and inventory and CPO cars now and call it something other than "the performance enhancement".

Last edited:
First, I’m curious if you’re a Tesla owner? Shareholder?

I have a signature in my posts that shows my "status".

You claim to be mostly upset over auto-pilot promises, but you're posting in a thread about a performance improvement you were not promised, nor did you pay for, you chose the low end product and you got exactly the performance offered on that model. Why not move your rant to the proper thread?

To be fair, not everyone can afford the higher performance model.
I agonized over the 90D, or P90D before buying my 75D

To be fair, Tesla delivered the exact performance listed at time of purchase. He is cross posting in the wrong thread. He got exactly what he paid for in performance terms.

As for the cost of the upgrade for more performance and features, I bought the second slowest Tesla ever made, and am thrilled with it. I have no unfair expectations that Tesla will alter the bargain later by boosting my cars performance. That said, all of the hundreds of software upgrades we've received on our old 2013 have made it a better car than the day it was made.

I have a signature in my posts that shows my "status".

You claim to be mostly upset over auto-pilot promises, but you're posting in a thread about a performance improvement you were not promised, nor did you pay for, you chose the low end product and you got exactly the performance offered on that model. Why not move your rant to the proper thread?
Um because it's all part of the same problem with Tesla. The lack of transparency and honest communication cuts across all these open issues. I linked them all together in one of my posts to make that point. This is just one symptom of a much bigger problem. Take a step back and open your eyes.

Reactions: imboom
To be fair, Tesla delivered the exact performance listed at time of purchase. He is cross posting in the wrong thread. He got exactly what he paid for in performance terms.

As for the cost of the upgrade for more performance and features, I bought the second slowest Tesla ever made, and am thrilled with it. I have no unfair expectations that Tesla will alter the bargain later by boosting my cars performance. That said, all of the hundreds of software upgrades we've received on our old 2013 have made it a better car than the day it was made.
Do you see me anywhere griping that I don't like the performance of the car I bought??? I did get what I paid for and I'm not disputing it. However, there is a natural interest in this as an upgrade when Tesla tells people you can't do it because it involves new hardware, then starts updating cars with the old hardware when it benefits them financially. That's the point.

I'm in the same camp as Swift. One of the problems is that Tesla does not do model year improvements. If you look at all the controversey into this or even the 2016 facelift, you'll see that what Tesla does in its improvements along the way is that in reality if someone is really informed and is going to buy a Tesla, they need to time it perfectly from just being lucky.

Let's take today's news for example. Drastic discounts in inventory vehicles in which they did not announce. Those who buy an inventory 75D would probably take advantage of both the performance update and a deep discount for a NEW vehicle. Remember when Elon's stance of "everyone will pay the same price for a new vehicle" and everyone in Tesla including its sales people in its stores take that as gospel and preach it when someone asks about discounts.

The original performance in the 75D was already pretty good, but for Tesla's announcement to say that hardware and software changes to new vehicles will get a performance boost was going to be fine for everyone here, IF TESLA ACTUALLY FOLLOWED IT. They didn't. They allowed some cars built before their cutoff date to get it. That's the majority of people here's beef right now. We would have accepted it if they kept their word when they explained the performance update to us.

Last edited:
look at all the controversey into this or even the 2016 facelift, you'll see that what Tesla does in its improvements along the way is that in reality if someone is really informed and is going to buy a Tesla, they need to time it perfectly.

Hmm. Just buy CPO if you want to "time it perfectly", that's what I did. I bought a vehicle with an exact set of capabilities, which I knew well were fixed for many years, and got them at a discount. Very happy. I fully understand newer cars have better features, that's the nature of Tesla. I'll upgrade when the time comes, and I won't be complaining a week later if I timed it poorly (your words).

Elon's stance of "everyone will pay the same price for a new vehicle" and everyone in Tesla including its sales people in its stores take that as gospel and preach it when someone asks about discounts

Nice cherry pick. Didn't include the later half of the statement or it's intent did you? Let me help : Discounts apply when upgrades or other changes to in-production cars (which happen constantly) down grade the value of inventory cars. Now let's see you prove that is not the case here.

I linked them all together in one of my posts to make that point. This is just one symptom of a much bigger problem

I see. Your rant was meant to highlight your point, even though there is a thread directly related to your concern, but you don't want to keep your posts confined to that on-topic, but rather spread it to other threads for your own gratification that others will see it in both places "for effect". Got it. Bigger problem identified.

Take a step back and open your eyes.

Sorry about that, yes, my eyes tend to squint a bit when I am laughing inside and shaking my head, my eyes are now open now. :rolleyes:

I agree with all points. It's a tough pill to swallow when a new upgrade comes up unannounced and for the same price or cheaper than what you paid.

It's something we will all have to live with and be at peace with. Telsa is unlike any other car company in the world in how dynamic and fast moving they are. They are unapologetic about this, and Musk had already said that if you don't like changes, this is not the car for you.

Hmm. Just buy CPO if you want to "time it perfectly", that's what I did. I bought a vehicle with an exact set of capabilities, which I knew well were fixed for many years, and got them at a discount. Very happy. I fully understand newer cars have better features, that's the nature of Tesla. I'll upgrade when the time comes, and I won't be complaining a week later if I timed it poorly (your words).

Nice cherry pick. Didn't include the later half of the statement or it's intent did you? Let me help : Discounts apply when upgrades or other changes to in-production cars (which happen constantly) down grade the value of inventory cars. Now let's see you prove that is not the case here.

Too easy.

Model X P100D 5YJXCDE44HF052849 | Tesla
Model X P100D 5YJXCBE46HF053571 | Tesla

and not everyone wants a CPO. Sorry, if you're offended that others have different opinions.

When I purchased the car there was an expectation that the car can be updated. It is unprecedented in the auto industry, as well as for Tesla to have two customers who paid the same money for the same car in the same model year to have vastly different performance. If that happened in the ICE world, the under-performing car would be considered a lemon. There's just something very wrong with what has transpired, particularly in light of the fact that Tesla is upgrading their own CPO cars to overcome the same dilemma their customers are facing.

When I purchased the car there was an expectation that the car can be updated. It is unprecedented in the auto industry, as well as for Tesla to have two customers who paid the same money for the same car in the same model year to have vastly different performance. If that happened in the ICE world, the under-performing car would be considered a lemon. There's just something very wrong with what has transpired, particularly in light of the fact that Tesla is upgrading their own CPO cars to overcome the same dilemma their customers are facing.

I'm sorry, but is there a list of CPO cars that have been verified updated and whose manufacturing dates are also known, particularly US models? I don't care about European listings which may have been posted in error. I've tried going through the posts but can't find any.

I see. Your rant was meant to highlight your point, even though there is a thread directly related to your concern, but you don't want to keep your posts confined to that on-topic, but rather spread it to other threads for your own gratification that others will see it in both places "for effect". Got it. Bigger problem identified.

Sorry about that, yes, my eyes tend to squint a bit when I am laughing inside and shaking my head, my eyes are now open now. :rolleyes:
Do your research. I and the other people here have commented in those threads on those topics. Again, the point is that this is the latest issue in the same line of behavior when it comes to transparency and honest communication by Tesla. I see a bunch of people saying the same thing as me here buddy so yes bigger problem identified and it is Tesla.

I'm sorry, but is there a list of CPO cars that have been verified updated and whose manufacturing dates are also known, particularly US models? I don't care about European listings which may have been posted in error. I've tried going through the posts but can't find any.
There is a question mark over whether those CPO cars are really updated, or if it's just a problem with the listings.
It's possible the 75 and 75D listings are just pulling stats from the current cars.

To get this thread back on track...

It all comes down to this: is there any hard evidence that there are old hardware cars with new car performance.

So far the only evidence I've found in this thread is @rsan 's testing of his car, which may be user/app error. @rsan if you're a member of TOCA maybe I'll see you at the AGM in Sept at the Sydney shop? Would be great to compare our cars (mine's 75D too). You might take me for a spin :)

Other than that there have been CPO listings, which could just be a problem with the listings themselves. As an ex programmer and database admin I've seen it so many times, the backend data updated being referenced by older entries.

Please correct me if I'm wrong folks, you'd make me very happy if I am!

• Helpful
Reactions: rsan and Bebop
Over at Tesla MODEL X Owners Club group on FB, Michael Y. shared a video that he had comparing his MX75D with 549xx VIN to the loaner MX75D with VIN 489xx in the 0-100km acceleration. Appears the loaner to be uncorked by looking at the kw meter.

I'm heading into service later today for a different collection of issues for my MX75D and will let you know if there are anything to this from the SA point of view or if I get a 75D loaner.

upload_2017-8-30_11-18-12.png

This won't be in the Performance Metrics Thread unit next revision but it seemed like a timely addition.

US inventory demo purchase mid Aug. Built mid May.

To normalize the data, if the first 0-60 entry is less than a foot of distance we pull it, so although Powertools shows 4.25 seconds, this is the Road and Track rollout figure.

Last edited:
I have a 60D. For those with a 75D, when you bring up "About My Tesla" screen, is there an option to decrease the performance output to a 70? I was sitting in a showroom MS75 with vin number 199xxx in Toronto last Friday and noticed the option of a MS75D to decrease performance output to a 70, just like what a (P)100D can. Is it a sign when performance output of a 75D can be decreased that it has been uncorked?