Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The critical point here is that if Tesla is upgrading pre-June cars out of inventory that clearly have the older drive unit, then it is clearly something that can be done to other cars built around that time. Their inability to provide clarity on that practice is what has a 1,400 post thread going strong here.

Two problems I see in this line of reasoning. One, you are making the assumption that cars for sale with a faster 0-60 time, but manufactured earlier than June 2017, still retain the old drive unit, which contradicts the best information available (and direct statements from Tesla). Two, Tesla has a legitimate right to modify a car in their possession in order to sell it, regardless what cars they have already sold; no promise, implied or otherwise, has been broken in doing so.

Reactions: voltronhb
...the assumption that cars for sale with a faster 0-60 time, but manufactured earlier than June 2017, still retain the old drive unit... contradicts the best information available (and direct statements from Tesla)...
I am with you on the second point but, whoa, do we have ANY evidence that Tesla did anything more than a software update on those cars?

Reactions: Swift
...do we have ANY evidence that Tesla did anything more than a software update on those cars?

From Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X:
Without going into details, a Tesla spokesperson confirmed to Electrek that they are rolling out new software and hardware improvements that are enabling those performance enhancements.

I think that to claim other than the official statement above (e.g. only software, thus claiming that Tesla was untruthful) requires evidence.

and right after...

Which is why I keep replying to highlight that owners got the 0-60 performance advertised when they bought. Demanding a free or even paid upgrade be made available when the option to get that performance at purchase was already available, and the owners that didn't choose it should not expect an option now, post purchase.

That only works if Tesla actually delivers everything promised at time of purchase. Can not have it both ways. Please don't make me list failed promises at time of purchase.

You want evidence? You got evidence!

Run Start: Sep 4, 2017, 9:48:45 PM
Run End: Sep 4, 2017, 9:50:20 PM
Run Duration: 1.6 minutes
Run Size: 268 records
Max Speed: 60 mph
Max Power: 435 HP
Start Elevation: 310 ft
Min Elevation: 310 ft
Max Elevation: 314 ft
Elevation Change: 4 ft
Start Odometer: 942.0 miles
End Odometer: 942.6 miles
Distance Covered: 0.6 miles
0 -> 60 MPH: 4.5 seconds

Raw data will be sent to Krash to be part of the master PDF

Attachments

• IMG_0035.PNG
    IMG_0035.PNG
    515.2 KB · Views: 77

I don't understand the evidence provided. What model is your car, its VIN, date of manufacture, and history of relevant software and hardware updates? Was it uncorked at your request?

EDIT: I reviewed your posting history and see that you stated that Tesla uncorked your car before you took delivery. How is that evidence that Tesla was untruthful? Do you have evidence that they did not upgrade any hardware on the car prior to delivery?

Run Start: Sep 4, 2017, 9:48:45 PM
Run End: Sep 4, 2017, 9:50:20 PM
Run Duration: 1.6 minutes
Run Size: 268 records
Max Speed: 60 mph
Max Power: 435 HP
Start Elevation: 310 ft
Min Elevation: 310 ft
Max Elevation: 314 ft
Elevation Change: 4 ft
Start Odometer: 942.0 miles
End Odometer: 942.6 miles
Distance Covered: 0.6 miles

Raw data will be sent to Krash to be part of the master PDF

You're build is not uncorked. 435 HP = 324 kw. The uncorked vehicles are all > 350 kw. I assume you conducted the test with a high SOC.

From Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X:

I think that to claim other than the official statement above (e.g. only software, thus claiming that Tesla was untruthful) requires evidence.
Many of the folks that sent me runlogs tell me about their experience waiting at the service centers. Some go into great detail about how the SC tells them they can't and don't replace any hardware for the unlock. If you read the Tesla statement carefully Tesla isn't lying as the firmware can be considered hardware and new cars did get new drive units. So some hardware and some software. Not sure what kind of evidence would be convincing. Not that it matters.

This holiday weekend and this thread is really starting to bring out the ugly side of tesla consumers. Due to the lack of communication and honesty, I really think Tesla had fallen in many categories when it comes to making their customer base happy. Very different from one year ago when my wife and I got our X.

More on topic, recently I've been discussing this with sales and DS, and they've come to an internal agreement I believe. True or not, people are being trained and told to tell people the below.

The statement of hardware and software, depends on the model.
1. Software only for the D variants.
2. Software and hardware for the non D variants.

and right after...

Which is why I keep replying to highlight that owners got the 0-60 performance advertised when they bought. Demanding a free or even paid upgrade be made available when the option to get that performance at purchase was already available, and the owners that didn't choose it should not expect an option now, post purchase.
You continue to generalize people’s positions and apply them to the entire group. How many times do you need to be called out for that? One of the nicer guys here finally called you rude. Start another thread like Krash suggested if you can’t get your head around this.

• Disagree
Reactions: jjanov79
This holiday weekend and this thread is really starting to bring out the ugly side of tesla consumers. Due to the lack of communication and honesty, I really think Tesla had fallen in many categories when it comes to making their customer base happy. Very different from one year ago when my wife and I got our X.

More on topic, recently I've been discussing this with sales and DS, and they've come to an internal agreement I believe. True or not, people are being trained and told to tell people the below.

The statement of hardware and software, depends on the model.
1. Software only for the D variants.
2. Software and hardware for the non D variants.
This is what I've gathered from following this thread. I haven't seen any evidence that any RWD S75 vehicles have been upgraded, only AWD 75D.

The P100D is near the end of diminishing returns for performance from a street legal car. There comes a point where you can't transmit enough energy to street legal tires without breaking friction with the ground and literally spinning your wheels. Traction control can help, but they are now pretty much at the limits of what traction control can do.

There is a YouTube out there where someone went through the math on what the theoretical 0-60 time was for a street legal car. There are very few cars that are quicker than the P100D because they are all at the cutting edge of Physics.

Tesla might eek out another 0.1s or so, but they are close to the limits of what a car can do without modifications that doesn't make it street legal anymore. One of these days somebody will probably make a "top fuel" drag racer that can beat the ICE top fuel cars and set world records doing it, but you won't be able to drive it home afterwards. There are already some home built EV dragsters out there, records will start falling in the next few years.

Tesla is in the business of making cars for the highway, not the drag strip. Remember the mission of the company is to further sustainable transportation.

They were able to make a super car out of the dual motor Model S fairly easily, but most of the parts were already on the shelf. A few software tweaks, a better battery pack fuse, and using the motor from the RWD cars for the rear motor and a nice accelerating car was turned into one of the quickest in the world. If they had to put much work into making a super car out of the standard Model S, they wouldn't have done it.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but while the laws of humans can be broken, the laws of Physics are absolute.
4 wheel burnout before launch