Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the beginning.
When I see people write this I find it funny, sure Tesla recommends to only charge to 90%, but are we all forgetting that there's a warranty? It's not like you're abusing it by charging it to the max. It's like a dealership telling you to only fill your tank to 90%, or else your warranty is void...

I don't really think so.

question: mine is S75 RWD, entered production on June 6 with VIN 198XXX. Do you think my car can be upgraded (firmware wise) to get the faster acceleration? I emailed Tesla and never received any reply.
I will be going to SC for warranty items this Saturday, I will ask them to check also.

Thanks

When I see people write this I find it funny, sure Tesla recommends to only charge to 90%, but are we all forgetting that there's a warranty? It's not like you're abusing it by charging it to the max. It's like a dealership telling you to only fill your tank to 90%, or else your warranty is void...

Drivetrain warranty doesn't cover degradation. Degradation will set in pretty quickly if you charge to max always (much less than 8 years at any rate).

question: mine is S75 RWD, entered production on June 6 with VIN 198XXX. Do you think my car can be upgraded (firmware wise) to get the faster acceleration? I emailed Tesla and never received any reply.
I will be going to SC for warranty items this Saturday, I will ask them to check also.

Thanks

I'd be interested to know if the update on older models needs to be done at SC.

My MX75D was from new inventory, produced in May 2017 but my OA checked with her manager before I ordered. He said all inventory (MX only? Because of dual motor? Not sure) are supposed to get the performance update OTA eventually but may not happen right away.

I'd be interested to know if the update on older models needs to be done at SC.

My MX75D was from new inventory, produced in May 2017 but my OA checked with her manager before I ordered. He said all inventory (MX only? Because of dual motor? Not sure) are supposed to get the performance update OTA eventually but may not happen right away.
Interesting. Could just be there to get people to buy for end of quarter or such and then push it out to existing owners.

Reactions: Mike75d
Interesting. Could just be there to get people to buy for end of quarter or such and then push it out to existing owners.
I've been thinking this for a little bit. Hoping it will be free, as an acceleration update in the past was as well.

The only thing that is a little weird is that if 75s get an update, will the 90 and 100D as well? Isn't the 90 already 0-60 in 4.2? So an uncorked 75 will be as fast as a 90? Doubt they'll let that happen. So many cars will prob need an update, which is complicated but doable. Will be good for press, stock and owners.

I took delivery of my S75D in May 2017. I reached out to my OA this week to see if there was any information on this. Initially it was regarded as a rumor but once I asked about all of the used S vehicles in New Inventory for sale showing a quicker 0-60 time she responded: "I have confirmed with service that your VIN is not eligible for the upgrade. This is not something service can add to any car."

So you're saying there's a chance... :)

I've been thinking this for a little bit. Hoping it will be free, as an acceleration update in the past was as well.

The only thing that is a little weird is that if 75s get an update, will the 90 and 100D as well? Isn't the 90 already 0-60 in 4.2? So an uncorked 75 will be as fast as a 90? Doubt they'll let that happen. So many cars will prob need an update, which is complicated but doable. Will be good for press, stock and owners.
Well I wouldn't mind if my 90D X got a increase too.

I took delivery of my S75D in May 2017. I reached out to my OA this week to see if there was any information on this. Initially it was regarded as a rumor but once I asked about all of the used S vehicles in New Inventory for sale showing a quicker 0-60 time she responded: "I have confirmed with service that your VIN is not eligible for the upgrade. This is not something service can add to any car."

So you're saying there's a chance... :)

I don't know if Tesla did something to all the inventory vehicles after they announced the performance update, or they are just being told to tell people who took delivery before July that it's "not possible".

It's still very unclear. Am I the only one who has been told new inventory vehicles will all get the update? Would be nice to have other owners confirm.

I'd be really upset if I was misled. I was totally ok with custom ordering an MX and waiting but the OA assured me the new inventory will get the performance update and it would guarantee I'd get the 0.99% financing in time (I.e. Taking delivery before end of Sept).

Basically we've been hearing different things from tesla, but for the most part people are hearing that it can't be done.

Regardless, I doubt we will hear anything concrete from tesla before the quarter ends on 9/30, bc they are trying to push sales. After that...maybe. At that point we all have to keep tweeting elon about this for an answer lol

I don't know if Tesla did something to all the inventory vehicles after they announced the performance update, or they are just being told to tell people who took delivery before July that it's "not possible".

It's still very unclear. Am I the only one who has been told new inventory vehicles will all get the update? Would be nice to have other owners confirm.

I'd be really upset if I was misled. I was totally ok with custom ordering an MX and waiting but the OA assured me the new inventory will get the performance update and it would guarantee I'd get the 0.99% financing in time (I.e. Taking delivery before end of Sept).
Get it in writing.

I got 2017.32 on my S 60D vin190
tested 0-100km/h (61mph)
with 28km range 5.7 seconds
I thought that was good considering such low state of charge but obviously no performance update.
The reason I bought the dual motor car was in hope that the full capability of the car will be unleashed in the future. I have a good feeling this firmware update will be pushed to all dual motor 60/75 cars after quarter end. If not, it's still a quick and fun car.

So.....All inventory canadian 75/75d model s are listed on telsa website with the improved 0-60. The VINs (192xxx etx) would indicate earlier build dates than the supposed june 19 build cutoff date. I decided to send an escalation email as my purchase date was a day from the supposed july 1 cutoff date with a vin196xxx. Still no response....as others have mentioned.

Still Holding out hope haha. Nonetheless im still loving the car...go Tesla!

Last edited:
adding to your excellent point about different performance on the same model ... this is exactly what has been bothering me about this issue the class of cars in question are the same exact models with different performance specs, if Tesla created a different model July 1 lets say P75 and P75D then I would still be unhappy but would have to suck it up as they released a new model, in this case it ti the same model with inferior performance..... we need to find out how many owners are in this class .... this is why owners are feeling extra crappy about this :(

Yeah I'm hopeful though that the new drive unit can go faster actually. Hopefully in the future there will be an update for new spec 75D's to go in the 3 second range.

Otherwise what is the point of a new drive unit?

• Funny
Reactions: yugsy