Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im trying to establish if there are two groups of non-eligibility.

75D's that are being told "At the particular time your car was built, the powertrain was not designed for an enhanced level of performance"

And 75D's that are being told "not available at this current time"

Any reports of 75D owners getting told the "powertrain not designed" but getting an uncork after?

I have tried contacting 3 service centres and all have stated that my UK 177XXX was never designed for increased performance, no uncorking for me anytime soon I guess!

Ok, I can confirm a few things by comparing pre- and post-uncorking API output.

- Nothing changed in my option codes.
- There is a parameter called perf_config which changed from P3 to P1 after uncorking.

Yup, this matches my experience too. Also seems to be validated by the Teslafi data @Jdeck posted earlier in this thread.

I think it is safe to say at this point that if your car's perf_config setting in the API is P3, you are corked.

So, there appear to be two fields that are relevant here.... One is "Performance" (My car was P3, and is now P1), the other is "Perf Add On" (My car was "Standard", and is now "Uncorked")

Both of these fields can be seen in the car's diagnostics interface (accessible to SC techs/rangers):
View attachment 256359

The Performance setting can also be read via the Tesla owner API.

Unfortunately, it appears the Performance tag is only useful for checking the "Uncorked" state of your car if you have a dual motor vehicle (like my 75D). And even then, it is only an indicator; PerfAddOn also needs to be set to Uncorked. (and, I suspect, in addition to these config changes, the motor controllers also need to get a firmware redeploy with their new configs/curves, which is likely why this update needs to be done in person and not OTA).

If you do have a 75D though and want to check its uncorked status, you should be able to do so via the vehicle_state call from the owner API.

You'll need an API key, as well as your car's id (from the vehicles call): Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary

Code:
curl --header "Authorization:Bearer xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/vehicles/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data_request/vehicle_state

The response should include this:
Code:
      "perf_config" : "P1"

if you're uncorked.

or this:
Code:
      "perf_config" : "P3",

if you're corked.

If you use Teslafi, you can see the Performance tag in the raw API data section:
View attachment 256360

I’m not having any luck obtaining my key. I copied and pasted the current client id and secret. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, never mind. I’ll just wait for my car to come back to me from the Tesla Service Centre and the body shop.

I’m not having any luck obtaining my key. I copied and pasted the current client id and secret. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, never mind. I’ll just wait for my car to come back to me from the Tesla Service Centre and the body shop.

You need to enter your tesla username and password to get your API token. The oauth id/secret are the same for everybody.

@Akrion made a nice video tutorial for using the API here:
Tesla Owner API Tutorial (All you need is your browser)

• Love
Reactions: avesraggiana
Looks like you're on to something there- http://firmware.teslafi.com/uncorked.php

It appears non D models are P1 for non performance and P2 for performance. And D models are P3 for non performance and P1 for performance. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Can you add modelX vehicles to the table? Some users in that forum are trying to verify their model x uncorking; unclear if the p1 vs p3 holds for the x at this point.

Received my "uncorked" 75D back today. I had to bring it back after noticing it didn't have additional power (power tools). 2nd try was successful. POWER!!! :)

Good luck on the upgrade everyone!

Same thing happened to me. April 2017 75D was “uncorked” last Mon by SC. Have “Performance Upgrade Performed” invoice. Did not recognize any extra power; got PowerTools which measured 0-60 ar 5.1 sec last night. Took to SC today. They checked their system with my VIN and said that my uncorking didn’t “take”. They are re-doing it now. 90 min wait they said....

For anyone looking into the performance boost for the 75 RWD models, I tried to have this done on Wednesday at the Palo Alto service center while they were fixing a bubble on my dashboard which was an original mfg defect. My 75SRWD was built around June 9th, and delivered on June 17th, so it was prior to the June 19th build date when Tesla says they changed drive unit. There was some confusion at the service center as to whether my model was upgradeable. When I called to make the appointment, the service advisor said she believed that it was eligible for uncorking. When I dropped the car off, the advisor said he believed it was upgradeable, but later that day I got a txt message saying "unfortunately the acceleration upgrade is only for 75D vehicles at this time." I called the service center later in the day to explain that I had a June build and ask if they could look more closely at my specific model to confirm, and the advisor said they had already done that, and they found that it was in fact upgradeable, and that they had already performed the upgrade. I very happily picked up my car, but didn't notice a significant difference in performance. I tried the Performance Tools app, and the peak output power was capped at 289 (ie. a sign of no upgrade, it should have been 340+) and then after I learned how to do the API call, my S75 shows perf config = P1 which is non performance.

The irritating part of this is that my build date was only 10 days from the starting date of the new drive unit, and Tesla had complete control on whether it would be made on that date or a later date which would still have been within my "late June to mid-July" delivery window. They actually made it sooner than expected. Also, the Model 3 specs started emerging in July/August and I saw that my $78k care was slower (or at least no faster than) a $40k model 3. IMO, Tesla should find a way to upgrade all model S cars so that they are faster than a model 3, it makes no sense given the price premium to have it otherwise.

On the positives, my dash board bubble required a dash board header replacement, and the service center took care of this no questions asked on one day which was really impressive, and it looks great.

Im trying to establish if there are two groups of non-eligibility.

75D's that are being told "At the particular time your car was built, the powertrain was not designed for an enhanced level of performance"

And 75D's that are being told "not available at this current time"

Any reports of 75D owners getting told the "powertrain not designed" but getting an uncork after?

I have tried contacting 3 service centres and all have stated that my UK 177XXX was never designed for increased performance, no uncorking for me anytime soon I guess!

@kit01 I’d like to think us in the UK will get the good news ‘soon’. My build date was Dec 16 and any number of cars built at the same time have been uncorked, and also plenty before and after have as well. I cannot believe the UK cars were built with different powertrains to those in the US. it must be that the WARP system is being updated gradually. Plenty of US owners have been told no and then yes, I’m sure we will get there too.

I’ve had three no’s so far, and escalated via My Tesla and by email to my Service Centre on the 25th. Both remain unanswered, and I’m relaxed about that for the moment. The moment I hear of a UK car being upgraded I’ll be back on the phone.

Arghhh.... So I had my car in the shop overnight for the uncorking as well as to fix a few rattles. One of the rattles isn't fixed at all, and the performance is still completely unchanged. I pulled my data from the API and it looks like my perf_config setting is still on P3 instead of P1. Using the powertools app I'm still seeing 5.2 seconds 0-60 and a max of 280kW. :(

I called the service center back and explained the situation. They mentioned they just had another unsatisfied uncorking customer call with the same feedback, and they're looking into it. I'm guessing someone needs to RTFM a little bit more carefully during the process...

Arghhh.... So I had my car in the shop overnight for the uncorking as well as to fix a few rattles. One of the rattles isn't fixed at all, and the performance is still completely unchanged. I pulled my data from the API and it looks like my perf_config setting is still on P3 instead of P1. Using the powertools app I'm still seeing 5.2 seconds 0-60 and a max of 280kW. :(

I called the service center back and explained the situation. They mentioned they just had another unsatisfied uncorking customer call with the same feedback, and they're looking into it. I'm guessing someone needs to RTFM a little bit more carefully during the process...

While this is very frustrating as a customer, remember that all of this is very new to them as well as a very long and involved process that they are trying to cram in as many as possible while still meeting normal daily demands. So have a little bit of sympathy for the poor guys. Bad customer service from Tesla is far and few in between.

Reactions: avesraggiana
While this is very frustrating as a customer, remember that all of this is very new to them as well as a very long and involved process that they are trying to cram in as many as possible while still meeting normal daily demands. So have a little bit of sympathy for the poor guys. Bad customer service from Tesla is far and few in between.

You've clearly never owned a Roadster...

Just as another data point, I just called today for uncorking and was told "no," but I wonder if this is another instance of having done the battery unlock only recently. Min is a December 2016 build S75D (originally 60D). VIN is in 173xxx range. Others seem to have had success in this zone, but I only did the battery upgrade a couple of weeks ago. Will try again in person at some point.

So I just got it back, it did not seem like there was a difference in power (Though to be fair they gave me a P100D loaner so I got spoiled pretty quickly lol) Got home decided to call and they were actually able to pull the Perf_Config as P3 so it did not take sadly... (Even though they told me the double checked to make sure it took when I picked up the car). There is an update available, so I am going to try that and hopefully that fixes it if not I am going to have to go back Wednesday... :(

I also have a bit of slip when slamming it. I'm running at spec PSI, will letting some air out help?
Probably not from my experience. In our case, they overfilled for winter, so they were at 46psi at 45 deg. out when I made the run. There was more than just slight wheel slip so that could count for a bit, but I did not see the traction control kick in. A tiny bit is a good indication of the right amount of "gas" but more than that and you lose time.

So I just got it back, it did not seem like there was a difference in power (Though to be fair they gave me a P100D loaner so I got spoiled pretty quickly lol) Got home decided to call and they were actually able to pull the Perf_Config as P3 so it did not take sadly... (Even though they told me the double checked to make sure it took when I picked up the car). There is an update available, so I am going to try that and hopefully that fixes it if not I am going to have to go back Wednesday... :(

No update will fix anything related to uncorking. This must be done by a SC or someone who has dev access. Certain fields must be changed in your config.