Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m actually pretty sure tesla uses the same gen3 charger globally now. The charger has 3 24A “cards” in it; when used in the US that gives you a 72A single phase AC hookup. When used in Europe/Australia/elsewhere you get 3 phase input. So, same inverter hardware with a different connector (and config).

indeed, so what would be the technical reason that al US 75d’s qualify for the upgrade while the bulk of the EU cars are not eligible ?

I’m actually pretty sure tesla uses the same gen3 charger globally now. The charger has 3 24A “cards” in it; when used in the US that gives you a 72A single phase AC hookup. When used in Europe/Australia/elsewhere you get 3 phase input. So, same inverter hardware with a different connector (and config).

My 2016 MS75D only has a 48A charger. I thought only the 100D and P100D got the 72A chargers.

Yes, they achieve the 48A by only enabling 2 of the 3 24A units.
You can actually pay extra to unlock full charge speed if you like, but it’s about $2000. Not really worth it.

Hmm, interesting. Price is a little painful, but would be nice to have. Unfortunately, the wire I used for my wall charger is limited to 75A, so I have a 70A breaker installed. My charger is set to 64A. So I wouldn’t be able to take full advantage of the upgrade anyhow. Thanks for the info.

Yes, they achieve the 48A by only enabling 2 of the 3 24A units.
You can actually pay extra to unlock full charge speed if you like, but it’s about $2000. Not really worth it.
Not always. My car only physically has 2 inverter boards. So the 72A upgrade, which indeed costs $2000, actually involves swapping the whole charger module (and not just changing the config).

I've been doing some doodling re. the absence of UK cars in the uncorking tracker. I compared the option codes on my corked MS75D to a friends MS75D which was uncorked before delivery, to see if anything stood out. Mine was delivered 6/14/2017 and his 9/27/2017, so his car may or may not have been manufactured after the 6/19/2017 cutoff. VIN's are 193xxx and 210xxx respectively.

I've ignored the obviously irrelevant options like "premium interior" etc. and he has the following additional options listed, that don't appear on my car: DU00 (Drive Unit - IR), FMP6, IDBO, LLP2,YFCC.

Just wondering whether anyone here knows what the last four represent and whether they may be significant?

I've been doing some doodling re. the absence of UK cars in the uncorking tracker. I compared the option codes on my corked MS75D to a friends MS75D which was uncorked before delivery, to see if anything stood out. Mine was delivered 6/14/2017 and his 9/27/2017, so his car may or may not have been manufactured after the 6/19/2017 cutoff. VIN's are 193xxx and 210xxx respectively.

I've ignored the obviously irrelevant options like "premium interior" etc. and he has the following additional options listed, that don't appear on my car: DU00 (Drive Unit - IR), FMP6, IDBO, LLP2,YFCC.

Just wondering whether anyone here knows what the last four represent and whether they may be significant?

I haven't a clue but interested in the answer. @JonG might know.

IDBO is the figured ash wood decor.

I don’t know the other option codes (yet), but will do some digging

@rinkydink have you escalated the absence of UK cars currently being eligible?

@rinkydink have you escalated the absence of UK cars currently being eligible?
Not yet... I emailed the manager of my local SC a couple of weeks ago about uncorking, but have yet to receive any sort of response. Thought I'd wait a bit longer before chasing them, if only to avoid getting the ubiquitous "no" for an answer. Still hopeful that some of us in the UK will get to be uncorked... Maybe.

Based on your current car's configuration, if you upgrade to the 75D you should be eligible for the uncorking. You will be eligible as soon as you pay for the 75D upgrade, but your service center won't be notified.

If your service center asks you how you knew that you should be eligible after upgrading, you can show them this and let them know it's because Engineering said that the "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than 3, and yours is a 5 in CarLogs.

Thank you for your time and loyalty to the company!

BOOM

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
Based on your current car's configuration, if you upgrade to the 75D you should be eligible for the uncorking. You will be eligible as soon as you pay for the 75D upgrade, but your service center won't be notified.

If your service center asks you how you knew that you should be eligible after upgrading, you can show them this and let them know it's because Engineering said that the "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than 3, and yours is a 5 in CarLogs.

Thank you for your time and loyalty to the company!

BOOM

Did you just copy and paste my post from X or you actually got the same email I just got?

Hmm, interesting. Price is a little painful, but would be nice to have. Unfortunately, the wire I used for my wall charger is limited to 75A, so I have a 70A breaker installed. My charger is set to 64A. So I wouldn’t be able to take full advantage of the upgrade anyhow. Thanks for the info.
FYI, you will need to install an 80A circuit breaker for a 64A charging rate according to Tesla... hope this helps :cool:
upload_2017-10-30_9-50-50.png