Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As one previous post in this thread suggested, a 90-day price guarantee would be the right thing to do.

The pain associated with these regular price changes is not what a company should want to impose on its customers. It puts a bad taste in our mouths which won't soon be forgotten - next EV purchase?

I know that for me, I will be extremely cautious when purchasing my next EV, which I would prefer to be Tesla. Given this recent pricing adjustment, I would be willing to wait as long as possible and to not settle for any shortcomings (lack of power lift gate).

It's a great car, however those of us who purchase just before a major price change like this feel as though we have been duped in a way. It's not like Elon and his team got out of bed last Friday and initiated their discussions regarding Monday's pricing. They knew about it well before many of us placed our orders.
But lets say that they had said it one week before, don't you think they who had order one one week and two days before would feel the same thing? And how many orders do you think Tesla would have got under that week when most people new that a price cut was going to happened? Maybe Tesla does have an orderstock of two weeks and this wouldn't matter but lets say that they only have a orderstock for two days, should they have shout down the factory for five days only to wait for new orders? Of course I understand that it's frustrating but no matter when you do a announcement of better product or lower price you will have some who have just order and will be disappointed if you don't use model year

Reactions: MP3Mike
Woke up and saw the news and thought I would definitely buy it. Then I made the mistake of telling my wife about it :D.

Apparently, just because I have never needed the extra range in the 8 months I have owned the car means I shouldn't just immediately throw $2k at Tesla. Not pulling the trigger immediately, but it is very, very tempting. Without her throwing logic at me I would have already bought it.

Just do it at night when she is not looking. But then again, I am not a marriage counselor, so YMMV.

Great point about Elon and his team, this was calculated. They have no problem announcing that prices are going up on the P100D and allow time to order one before the price goes up, why can't it work both ways and announce a big price decrease on the 75 and let buyers know?
The longer description of Osborne effect from Wikipedia

The Osborne Effect states that prematurely discussing future, unavailable products damages sales of existing products. The name comes from the planned replacement of the Osborne 1, an early personal computer first sold by the Osborne Computer Corporation in 1981. In 1983, founder Adam Osborne pre-announced several next-generation computer models (the "Osborne Executive" and "Osborne Vixen"), which had not yet been built, highlighting the fact that they would outperform the existing model. A widely held belief was that sales of the Osborne 1 fell sharply as customers anticipated those more advanced systems, leading to a sales decline from which Osborne Computer was unable to recover. This belief appeared in the media almost immediately after the company's September 1983 bankruptcy:

Looks like all of the S60 buyers who beat the $2k price increase last year ($66k vs $68k) just got a little shove from Elon to rebadge. I feel for the recent buyers, but I am so glad I pulled the trigger when I did.

Even though it's only been 4 months into ownership; does anyone else already feel like those were "the good old days"? You were able to custom configure your car with any combination of interior trim and seats you wanted, including the discontinued matte obeche wood. You could outfit it virtually the same as the top-of-the-line model with SAS, dual chargers, etc. It all seems a bit more cookie-cutter now.

I suppose this is the consequence of a company that is transitioning from a niche marketing model to a mass consumer model. In the end, if it means transforming the way we drive to reduce air pollution and adopt renewable energy, it will all be worth it.

It seems like there are always major design or price changes that were announced during 2 to 3 weeks into the start of the quarter. Especially during the 2nd and the 4th quarter. Examples are Model S facelift that happened in mid April 2016, and the autopilot hardware changes always seemed get announced in mid October. If I was a customer that's about to take delivery, I would avoid taking deliveries at the end of the quarter, especially during the end of Q3 or Q1.

Last edited:
But lets say that they had said it one week before, don't you think they who had order one one week and two days before would feel the same thing? And how many orders do you think Tesla would have got under that week when most people new that a price cut was going to happened? Maybe Tesla does have an orderstock of two weeks and this wouldn't matter but lets say that they only have a orderstock for two days, should they have shout down the factory for five days only to wait for new orders? Of course I understand that it's frustrating but no matter when you do a announcement of better product or lower price you will have some who have just order and will be disappointed if you don't use model year

You missed my point I think. Tesla doesn't have to disclose every move they make on their price in advance of it actually happening. However if you ordered your car the day before the price change, shouldn't Tesla adjust your price accordingly? Apply that logic to everyone who purchased 30 or 90 days prior to the new pricing. Seems fair for new owners. I guess opponents to this idea would respond with a "Life's Not Fair!" I have to disagree with those who think that there is no middle ground on this particular topic.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Are you in rated or ideal mode?
Looks to be ideal mode based on my S60.
IMG_1848.jpg

You missed my point I think. Tesla doesn't have to disclose every move they make on their price in advance of it actually happening. However if you ordered your car the day before the price change, shouldn't Tesla adjust your price accordingly? Apply that logic to everyone who purchased 30 or 90 days prior to the new pricing. Seems fair for new owners. I guess opponents to this idea would respond with a "Life's Not Fair!" I have to disagree with those who think that there is no middle ground on this particular topic.
If you order a car from Tesla you can take back your order and get the deposit back in 14 days so everyone how had but a order for less then two weeks before could have change the orders or take them back and get a new one. If you think about us in Europe it normal that it takes three month from orders to delivery, should that 30 days you are talking about be from ordering or deliveries?

Tesla makes nearly 2500 cars per week, in 30 days they are making nearly 10 000 cars. It would mean that a price reduction on $2000 would except lower margin in the future cost them about $20 million, is that reasonable? When apple start selling a new iPhone they often lower the price of the old one, how many million dollars do they use to send out to customer who have just bought the old iPhone?

I'm just happy that I got my lifetime SC and body colored roof before they went extinct. I also think it's a good sign that Tesla is lowering prices instead of increasing them. The fact that they got me to spend $70,000 on a car is a miracle in it's self, and attests to the marketing genius of Musk and Company. Long live Tesla!

If you order a car from Tesla you can take back your order and get the deposit back in 14 days so everyone how had but a order for less then two weeks before could have change the orders or take them back and get a new one. If you think about us in Europe it normal that it takes three month from orders to delivery, should that 30 days you are talking about be from ordering or deliveries?

Tesla makes nearly 2500 cars per week, in 30 days they are making nearly 10 000 cars. It would mean that a price reduction on $2000 would except lower margin in the future cost them about $20 million, is that reasonable? When apple start selling a new iPhone they often lower the price of the old one, how many million dollars do they use to send out to customer who have just bought the old iPhone?

30 days from order is fair IMO. In the US we have 7 days to make changes or cancel, last I knew; not 14.

Game over once you take delivery. Most do not have a chance to take delivery for 30-60 days from placing the order. You can walk out of the Apple store with your brand new iPhone the same day as purchase. That comparison is apples and oranges - no pun intended.

In the world of upgrades, or more correctly Remodel.... in a few years, when the 2170 batteries are a solid product, I'd like to unbolt my 60/75 pack and bolt on a 90 pack with the newest battery design on board. Keep my body, seats, color, lifts etc, just upgrade to a more marvelous battery. I'm assuming that the battery swap would be "trivial" mechanics.

Who else would upgrade this way?

In the world of upgrades, or more correctly Remodel.... in a few years, when the 2170 batteries are a solid product, I'd like to unbolt my 60/75 pack and bolt on a 90 pack with the newest battery design on board. Keep my body, seats, color, lifts etc, just upgrade to a more marvelous battery. I'm assuming that the battery swap would be "trivial" mechanics.

If it is complicated in any way Tesla will just want to accept trade-ins. They seem to have a distaste for retrofits. Battery swap assumes same wheelbase and design. We know the 2170 battery is taller, so I'm not sure the battery pack will be interchangeable with the 18650 based packs. I guess we'll see.

If it is complicated in any way Tesla will just want to accept trade-ins. They seem to have a distaste for retrofits. Battery swap assumes same wheelbase and design. We know the 2170 battery is taller, so I'm not sure the battery pack will be interchangeable with the 18650 based packs. I guess we'll see.
My assumption was that the packs would be similar in exterior dimensions. And we know what assumptions do. What I'd forgo in this swap is getting the latest in auto-driving capabilities. At the are they are rolling it out, the battery may come before the FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: jelloslug

I plan on doing this a 5 to 7 years. If Tesla will offer it I will probably have them do it, if not, there will be aftermarket options that I will be able to use. I'm sure there are a few other items that would have to be changed, (main contactors and/or circuit breakers) but it should not be that bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just filled my 60 kw battery to 100% [219 miles] - then upgraded to the 75 kw. Upgrade took less than 5 min - closer to 2 min -
Immediately, the car began charging. I paused, and checked Tesla.app and indeed shows that my 100% charged car was now at about 85%. I am now charging again, to see what my new top range is indicated to be. (guessing to be +44, or 263 miles). I will then let the battery cool a bit, then go for a drive to burn off a few miles and return the battery to the 90% max charge.

Before:
IMG_1848.jpg

After:

IMG_2104.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888