Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like I may be in the minority here, but I have a small amount of regret after taking delivery last month and seeing the 75D version of my 60D with glass roof being the same price.

I guess I'm not in any hurry to spend another $2k for something I'd rarely use/need, and I don't quite follow the "owners of 60s lucked out" logic.

I really enjoy my car and knowingly paid what I thought it was worth, but in some respects I just lost another $2k in value (or rather would cost me $2k to get parity with the 75D now being offered at the price I paid for 60D).

Not going to lose sleep over it, though. Still a badass car.

Welcome to the world of Tesla.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
I'll wait for the $2000 to drop to $500 before upgrading to the 75 KWH. That will happen.

I bet not. I think it will stay at $2000 and eventually Tesla will say "Last call to upgrade" and then discontinue the option.
There is no reason for it to drop to $500. If you don't upgrade at $2,000, you will most likely get exactly $2,000 less for your car when you sell. It's already a "free"* upgrade for all but the most long term owners.

*Actually not free, but it cost you the same whether your upgrade or not, in terms of equity.

I bet not. I think it will stay at $2000 and eventually Tesla will say "Last call to upgrade" and then discontinue the option.
There is no reason for it to drop to $500. If you don't upgrade at $2,000, you will most likely get exactly $2,000 less for your car when you sell. It's already a "free"* upgrade for all but the most long term owners.

*Actually not free, but it cost you the same whether your upgrade or not, in terms of equity.

I'd rather spend the $2K two or four years from now once the battery has already lost some of its charge. The extra 39 miles would help us out once or twice a year on a long road trip, so it's just not worth it for us right now. Currently, with fresh factory paint, the extra $2K would be better spent on Xpel or on an aftermarket powered lift gate.

I don't see Tesla ever completely removing the battery upgrade option. It's free/easy money for them. As technology improves and cars age, it makes sense to drop the upgrade price. But keeping it at $2K is also a reasonable expectation. I still say the upgrade will become less expensive over time.

Last edited:
I'd rather spend the $2K two or four years from now once the battery has already lost some of its charge. The extra 39 miles would help us out once or twice a year on a long road trip, so it's just not worth it for us right now. Currently, with fresh factory paint, the extra $2K would be better spent on Xpel or on an aftermarket powered lift gate.

I don't see Tesla ever completely removing the battery upgrade option. It's free/easy money for them. As technology improves and cars age, it makes sense to drop the upgrade price. But keeping it at $2K is also a reasonable expectation. I still say the upgrade will become less expensive over time.

Not sure about this, but wouldn't the degradation apply to the locked part of the battery as well? I do believe Tesla evenly distributes the charge and takes off the top for all the batteries instead of a particular module.

End result is if you wait to unlock the 75, you may actually end up getting an extra 20-30 miles instead of the full 39. If you still paid 2k for the upgrade at that point then you are getting a worse deal on a $/kwH basis. Better to upgrade now and enjoy the full extra range (or peace of mind if you don't drive much) rather than end up unlocking a degraded battery to keep it going.

Reactions: croman

I think you are correct about the $2000 pricetag dropping further, probably as soon as the cheapest S (currently the 75) drops further in price. And I do think the entire model lineup will drop in price as battery technology and battery production gets to crazy high levels in short order. But for many of us who debated the 60 to 75 upgrade we acknowledged some benefit but balked at the cost. In fact I think most people who weighed in on the debate agreed that $2000 was the number that would make the cost reasonable for right now. I feel sorry for the buyers who paid $6500, $7000 or heaven forbid, even $9000 for this small benefit. They are probably really po'd, if they even know. Early adopter is an exciting, but sometimes frustrating experience, isn't it?

If I was ten years younger I probably would have waited at least five years before buying a Tesla. But I am nearing the end of driving years and wanted to experience this wonderful new technology even though the quality, range and cost will surely be much more compelling if I waited a few years. In the meantime a lot of S and X owners will be coming to these message boards to complain about their "obsolete and overpriced" purchases. I won't join them.

Last edited:
Not sure about this, but wouldn't the degradation apply to the locked part of the battery as well? I do believe Tesla evenly distributes the charge and takes off the top for all the batteries instead of a particular module.

End result is if you wait to unlock the 75, you may actually end up getting an extra 20-30 miles instead of the full 39. If you still paid 2k for the upgrade at that point then you are getting a worse deal on a $/kwH basis. Better to upgrade now and enjoy the full extra range (or peace of mind if you don't drive much) rather than end up unlocking a degraded battery to keep it going.

We're splitting hairs here. The battery will degrade. In the future, I can pay the $2K or less in order to access 100% of the battery which will add some mileage and offset what has been lost due to the degradation.

The $2K is very affordable today, but other than peace of mind and to switch to a shiny new badge or skip a super charging station on a long road trip once or twice a year, there is no reason to throw money at something that I don't need. If I had made a habit of this fiscal approach, I certainty would not be driving a Tesla right now.

Last edited:
I hemmed and hawed over the $8500 more for the 75 when I ordered. Decided it was too much for such a small benefit. That was before I even understood the 90% and 100% charging difference. I really would only need it in the winter when I have found myself stopping to charge due to cold,snow etc...... The day before I purchased, I changed it to a lease because of Tesla's penchant for forward progress, autonomy etc.......... TMC taught me to expect my car to depreciate quickly. :) ONLY reason I'm not upgrading is the lease

I ordered my 60S on March 15. I am supposed to take delivery Friday. I paid 68 base + 1500 for the glass roof. I could get the same car as a 75S for the same price now. What would you do? (yes there is a 2500 hit to cancel the order and the 2000 if I upgraded the 60 to the 75, so the question is 1. How mad am I? 2. Is the power lift gate worth $500 extra?)

keep the order for friday.

its really 69.5k vs 72k

1. That wait SUCKS!
2. You still have the option to upgrade the battery at any time, see if the 60 is enough range for you and get used to its supercharging with no taper before you decide.
3. is it really that hard to open and close the trunk manually?

its an amazing car, every minute you wait on getting it is a minute you waste not driving it.

if you didnt apply the referral discount -$1000 use my link below? :)

Reactions: Chopr147
I ordered my 60S on March 15. I am supposed to take delivery Friday. I paid 68 base + 1500 for the glass roof. I could get the same car as a 75S for the same price now. What would you do? (yes there is a 2500 hit to cancel the order and the 2000 if I upgraded the 60 to the 75, so the question is 1. How mad am I? 2. Is the power lift gate worth $500 extra?)
As long as you sell while under warranty, the power liftgate price may be as you stated $500 for your configuration. But to me the power liftgate like power doors of X and self-presenting door handles are likely candidates for very expensive future repairs without providing much utility.

@bigdaddyo811 It is possible that they have already started building every car with the power lift gate standard. I would check with your OA/DS to see if they can get confirmation on that.