Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 range upgrade option is back in MyTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Logged into MyTesla this morning.

The online 'range upgrade' option is back for S60 owners it seems. Another 40 miles of range for the price of a second hand small car :eek:

The 'includes Unlimited Supercharging' phrase is interesting. Did it say that previously?

75 upgrade.png

Something seems off with mine (75 software locked to 70). It says "20% Range Increase" and the price is $4,300 CAD + tax. That's $300 more than it was in August, and I'm highly skeptical that 70 to 75 will give me 20% more range!!

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 10.13.21 AM.png

Mine is back as well. Kind of interesting that it says "unlimited supercharging."

I'm interested to find out if anyone has actually upgraded the battery after purchase.. I have to wonder if the plan to offer software upgradable batteries isn't working out as well as they hoped. Everyone (including me) has an expectation that the price will drop, that the benefit of upgrading will drop (battery degradation), and there are a lot of concerns about how the additional investment will correlate with resale value and insured value.

Kind of interesting that it says "unlimited supercharging."
My says the same. I was under the impression that my 2016 S60 already has access to "unlimited supercharging."

Remember: it isn't just 30 more miles. It's 30 more miles that you can't charge to regularly or you'll risk battery degradation.
Yep. $9K just isn't worth it. Now if they wanted to charge something like $4K or even $250 for a week-at-a-time upgrades then I'd consider it. I can only see myself needing the extra 30 miles once or twice a year at the absolute most. $9K isn't worth it. I'll just spend extra few minutes at a charger.

For me, a better option is to purchase a chademo adapter. It opens up a lot of additional "fast" charging options which would be more useful to me than an extra 30 miles.

A 60 coming off lease in 24 months can be resold as a CPO 75 with no cost to Tesla.
Exactly. If someone buys the upgrade then it's a win for Tesla, otherwise cars off lease or traded in can be upgraded for no cost and resold at a higher price.
The 60 limit also minimizes wear on the battery prior to the cars being returned or traded in (at which time they get upgraded).