Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI folks I drive a 2018 S 75D MCU 2.5 .
My battery has degraded to 90% in 4 years. I have supercharged only handful of times and rarely charge to more than 90%.
I have 36500 miles over last 4 years

Any ideas how to get back my lost range ? Is my way of charging ( keeping between 20-80%) not the right way anymore ?

My battery has degraded to 90% in 4 years. I have supercharged only handful of times and rarely charge to more than 90%.

Any ideas how to get back my lost range ? Is my way of charging ( keeping between 20-80%) not the right way anymore ?

I did a few discharges down to 1% and charges to 100% and some of the range came back. Remember it's just an estimation..

Reactions: FMinMI

10% loss isn’t that uncommon. There really isn’t any secret sauce to getting it back.

Original owner 2016 facelift Model S 75D - 49k miles. Charged to 258 miles in August at 100%. New was 259 miles so basically no degradation. Supercharged around 40 times total during the last 7 years. Charge to 90% everyday. Has been charged at 4 miles an hour for most of her life using the standard power outlet in the garage.

• Funny
Reactions: kg7jo-
Original owner 2016 facelift Model S 75D - 49k miles. Charged to 258 miles in August at 100%. New was 259 miles so basically no degradation. Supercharged around 40 times total during the last 7 years. Charge to 90% everyday. Has been charged at 4 miles an hour for most of her life using the standard power outlet in the garage.
I’ma need an “ideal” vs “rated” check on that one.

I’ma need an “ideal” vs “rated” check on that one.
Rated. I don’t even know why “ideal” is even an option to choose from. I do think the slow charging everyday probably keeps the battery in better shape. Spent most days round trip around 20-25 miles and slow charging using a regular wall outlet. It has been inconvenient but I think has allowed the battery to maintain its optimal level.

What’s the temperature you are charging in? My 7%D started with 252 and 227 at 100% and 90% respectively. 67,000 miles later it’s at 219 and 244. I notice if I get home with 100 miles or less and it’s cold, the pack charges to around 214 and 240. It’s almost like the pack cools off while charging and stops a hair early to protect the battery, because in the next warm day I’m back to 219 and 244 after a cold week of less.
An update to my post a few years back. My 100% is now 234-238 and 90% is 202-207. 133k miles. Rarely supercharged.

Rated. I don’t even know why “ideal” is even an option to choose from. I do think the slow charging everyday probably keeps the battery in better shape. Spent most days round trip around 20-25 miles and slow charging using a regular wall outlet. It has been inconvenient but I think has allowed the battery to maintain its optimal level.
To be clear I’m not saying you’re lying but something isn’t right with that measurement no matter how you charge.

From a chemistry perspective it’s basically impossible for a 7 year old lithium ion battery to have only lost 0.3% of its available capacity.

Good on you all the same, you’re clearly doing SOMETHING the BMS thinks is good. 😂

To be clear I’m not saying you’re lying but something isn’t right with that measurement no matter how you charge.

From a chemistry perspective it’s basically impossible for a 7 year old lithium ion battery to have only lost 0.3% of its available capacity.

Good on you all the same, you’re clearly doing SOMETHING the BMS thinks is good. 😂
Started its life as a 60D and I upgraded via software to a 75 in May 2017. I don’t know the science I just know that set at rated in the summer it says 258 miles(in the winter it will drop to 254ish) and then in the summer come back up. I suppose it doesn’t matter much since I’m getting rid of it for a new one given the FUSC deal. I’ve always charged to 90% via slow charge.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Raroia and ucmndd
2017 w 145,000 miles. Supercharge all the time: 77% in the last year.

260 new
218 at 100% now
197 at 90% now

Charging tapers a lot though. Haven’t paid any idle fees in a while. Grin.

It's kind of nice now without idle fees. My car can sit at 99-100% and still in a charging state at a Supercharger for about an hour.

I also get 220 with similar miles.

I don't think I ever saw anything close to 259 or 260 even when the car was new.. More like 249 for me.

What I have noticed is that when the weather is mild/warm, and you run the battery down to below 10% and charge to 100%, some of the miles come back. The most I've gotten was 223 recently.

"I have a 2016 75D which shows 192 miles on ideal range setting, if I'm not mistaken. It's either ideal or rated range setting, whichever’s less. Currently, my car has about 135,000 miles, and I use supercharging frequently. Is this range normal, or should I have Tesla take a look?

My warranty expires on September 11, 2024. I'd like to try and get a replacement if possible. Unless my warranty expires, my next plan is to upgrade to a 90 or 100 model, if possible.

"I have a 2016 75D which shows 192 miles on ideal range setting, if I'm not mistaken. It's either ideal or rated range setting, whichever’s less. Currently, my car has about 135,000 miles, and I use supercharging frequently. Is this range normal, or should I have Tesla take a look?

My warranty expires on September 11, 2024. I'd like to try and get a replacement if possible. Unless my warranty expires, my next plan is to upgrade to a 90 or 100 model, if possible.
If I remember correctly, it has to lose more than 30% of capacity, so a 75D started with 259 and 70% of that would be 181. BUT, I don't think they just go by the 'guess-o-meter' range but rather they run a battery test. You should take it to a service center to have it checked out. And IDEAL is the "Totally Unbelievable Range", while the "NON-IDEAL / NORMAL" setting is the " Unbelievable Range" :)

If I remember correctly, it has to lose more than 30% of capacity, so a 75D started with 259 and 70% of that would be 181.
A 2016 Model S has no degradation warranty at all. Only an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty against defects and failures.

Tesla will not replace a currently functional battery in a 2016 car on the basis of degradation, no matter how severe.