Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious what sort of degradation people have seen on their 75Ds.

I’ve driven 21,000 miles on my Dec 2017 build and my rated range is down to 240 miles at this point. This is down from 245 in the last 1000 miles driven. Per Remote S, I have 68.6 kWh usable. Does this seem normal or excessive?

Anyone else care to share?

Took delivery of a new software limited S60D in Jan 2017.

100% range of my S60D - which I consider to be the same as an 86% charge on an S75D - was 218. (This also implies a 253 rated range if my car was delivered as an S75D.)

Since I took delivery I have unlocked the battery from 60 (i.e. 86%) to 75 (i.e. 100%) and my current 100% charge range is 237 as an S75D.

86% of 237 comes to 204, suggesting a 14 mile, or 6.4%, battery degradation based off the 100% range at delivery of the software limited S60D (or 16-mile degradation of 6.4% based off the implied 253 S75D rated range).

Current mileage on my car is ~69k.

FWIW, I treat my 75D pretty badly compared to other people on this sub (charge to 90% even when I am not going far, charge to 100% once a week, use superchargers 4-5 times per week, have let the battery get down below 5% three times, have left the car parked overnight with less than 10%, etc) and have only "lost" 1 mile of range. When I got my car new in September 2018 it had 8 miles on the odometer & 100% charge was 252 miles. I'm at 8,900 miles since then and it charges to 251 miles. I don't think anyone knows, honestly. BMS can be weird.

FWIW, I treat my 75D pretty badly compared to other people on this sub (charge to 90% even when I am not going far, charge to 100% once a week, use superchargers 4-5 times per week, have let the battery get down below 5% three times, have left the car parked overnight with less than 10%, etc) and have only "lost" 1 mile of range. When I got my car new in September 2018 it had 8 miles on the odometer & 100% charge was 252 miles. I'm at 8,900 miles since then and it charges to 251 miles. I don't think anyone knows, honestly. BMS can be weird.

I suspect that some time after the 100kwh battery pack introduction the 75 was switched over to the newer chemistry (and seemingly much more reliable) cells used in the bigger pack.

The earlier 75 seems to have a higher rate of issues (just like the 90 did vs the 100).

My 2016 s 75 only gets about 170 real miles on a full charge. Took it in, and they said I supercharge too much. Checked the warranty and it said there is no warranty on battery milage loss over time, of any ammont. I'm pretty bummed that I have to do a full charge, or two partials, while on a 250 mile trip to vegas from LA, instead of nonstop.

Reactions: electricar
My 2016 s 75 only gets about 170 real miles on a full charge. Took it in, and they said I supercharge too much. Checked the warranty and it said there is no warranty on battery milage loss over time, of any ammont. I'm pretty bummed that I have to do a full charge, or two partials, while on a 250 mile trip to vegas from LA, instead of nonstop.

Sometimes the problem goes up, as the post counts goes down.

I tend more to think, having read some of the threads, that 75D never should have been rated at 259miles. Ours is mid 230's, 100% charged. So, I don't believe its a problem battery, like some of the P90Ds. Tesla's dual drive ratings were touted a bit too much, when they started, maybe?

Reactions: jrad6515
I tend more to think, having read some of the threads, that 75D never should have been rated at 259miles. Ours is mid 230's, 100% charged. So, I don't believe its a problem battery, like some of the P90Ds. Tesla's dual drive ratings were touted a bit too much, when they started, maybe?

The rated range is measured battery capacity divided by a constant. So the only way that displayed number goes down is if Tesla changes the constant or algorithm in a firmware update (possible, though unlikely to make a significant difference unless they also change the EPA ratings), or if the measured battery capacity is less than it was before.